cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random OC failed, xmp ram timings wrong etc

Minsekt
Level 7
hey!

so im having this issue for a while now and its very annoying. i have a 5820k, hyper x 2666mhz ram 4x4gb (HX426C15FBK4/16) (the only available ram for me at the time i bought the system) in my R5E.
i cant reboot at all, shutdown and start works most of the time, but im getting a blackscreen there once in a while too. sometimes i get a error overclock failed, i simply reboot and its working fine again.
cpu wise ive won the lottery, im able to pass intel burn test (standard) 4.8ghz @1.275vcore even tho i just use a 4ghz @ 1.1vcore oc

i believe the timings for my ram should be 15-17-17. im a total noob in ram timings, never manually entered them. where exaclty do i enter these numbers?
also my BLCK is not always at 100 its always at 100.2 even tho its 100.0 in bios. memtweak it shows 17-16-16 timings. right now im just using a 40 multiplier, 1.1vcore, speedstep/turbo disabled and ive selected 2400mhz dram freq. (which i found to fix the boot issues, right now i only cant reboot)

(xmp enabled/auto makes no difference) this problem is also after a cmos reset and on the new 1801 bios too.
ive tried literally every settings, fastboot on/off etc. without usb ports enabled, p2p keyboard and so on. doesnt matter. but sometimes i think it has something to do with connected usb devices while booting. dont know for sure tho.
i can get my hands on Kingston HyperX Predator HX424C12PB2K4/16 (2400mhz) quite cheap this week (100.-) as i think its a ram problem (the oc panel always shows USE DDR and gets stuck when rebooting..)
i just dont want to mess arround with the 2666mhz / increased blck stuff.

any suggestions to fix my problem besides of trying the other ram i mentioned?
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
What I would do is clear the CMOS to bring the system back to stock defaults for now. With the FURY DDR4 2666 kit, it's plug-n-play in the sense that it automatically setups up all the timings and voltages by default. But it does come with a XMP profile as well, so you can enable that. Or as you mentioned, you can setup the timings manually.

I have the 32GB variant of the kit that you're using and it works without hiccups for me.

1 hour Google Stress app pass.

Chino wrote:
What I would do is clear the CMOS to bring the system back to stock defaults for now. With the FURY DDR4 2666 kit, it's plug-n-play in the sense that it automatically setups up all the timings and voltages by default. But it does come with a XMP profile as well, so you can enable that. Or as you mentioned, you can setup the timings manually.

I have the 32GB variant of the kit that you're using and it works without hiccups for me.

1 hour Google Stress app pass.

Could I ask what tool you are using to get those hardware summaries in linux?

Minsekt
Level 7
hey chino, thanks for your reply,

im able to pass intel burn test on very high too, aida stresstest works fine for 2hours too. hci memtest reports no problems either. its just the reboot issues which gets stuck at "use ddr" on oc panel. the problem is i remote control my pc every day and need to reboot quite often... 😕 ive managed to set the timings manually (15-17-17-35) but it doesnt make a difference. im borrowing some ram from a friend today and give it a try. will report back later/tomorrow.
ive tried your ddr4 setup guide too but it doesnt make a difference if i increase the voltage up to +0.50 then i got sick of trying.. for now

Chino
Level 15

Minsekt
Level 7
switching ram did it for me works fine with the hyper x predator xms 2400mhz cl12 dimms...

Chino
Level 15
That 2400MHz C12 kit is a very good performer. The further you stray from 2133MHz, the higher the chance that manual tweaking might be required. I consider 2400MHz to be the sweet spot for DDR4 and is almost always plug-n-play. 🙂