cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to update to BIOS 1801, if cpu won't run at stock voltage?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
My system locks up if I don't manually set vcache to 1.0 at stock settings. If I set everything to stock will the motherboard retain that voltage setting throughout the upgrade process? Is it safe to update my bios?
14 REPLIES 14

GoNz0-
Level 10
Nothing stock about setting vcache to 1.0 volt, stock is everything on auto/default.

Does it lockup after a BIOS reset without you playing in the BIOS voltage settings?

If it works then I suggest a BIOS reset before using BIOS flashback to give you the best chance at a successful update.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I haven't tried putting the system back at stock and reflashing 1701. I've just tried reseting cmos through the bios reset button by the io. The issue still persists. Wouldn't using the flash back usb port still have the same issue as installing a newer bios?

GoNz0-
Level 10
someone's already reported a bricked board flashing 1801 via the normal method, using BIOS flashback seems to be the most stable way, but reset the BIOS 1st to be on the safe side.

How can you be sure the CPU is the problem, does overvolting it make it stable?

Think I can RMA without eating the overclocking protection plan?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Windows freezes if I leave everything on stock. When I bump the vcache up to 1.0 volts I can run windows fine with everything else on the default settings. When OC'ed I don't have any stability issues.

GoNz0-
Level 10
It would seem your chips defective and needs RMAing unless anyone else can jump in with something else?

GoNz0-
Level 10

vmanuelgm
Level 11
I am having the same problem, and my 5960x is perfectly stable at 4.6 GHz and 4.3 cache with 2666 CL12-12-13-13-1t, so I would bet bios is the cause, and not the chip.

It is very difficult to break an Intel CPU and when that happens, the system won't work at all, specially when overclocked.

Latest Asus RVE's bios apply wrong memory timings at stock, and probably some voltages are not selected properly.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

vmanuelgm wrote:
I am having the same problem, and my 5960x is perfectly stable at 4.6 GHz and 4.3 cache with 2666 CL12-12-13-13-1t, so I would bet bios is the cause, and not the chip.

It is very difficult to break an Intel CPU and when that happens, the system won't work at all, specially when overclocked.

Latest Asus RVE's bios apply wrong memory timings at stock, and probably some voltages are not selected properly.

I thought it could have been my chip degrading, but it's just weird it's only affected at stock.