cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modded 1801 BIOS ready.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Full credit to Fabulist & SoniX at the win-raid forums for compiling this one.
This has been updated with the following modules that Asus should do in due course but obviously don't.

• update OROM LAN Intel Boot Agent CL v0.1.06
  • remove EFI LAN Realtek UNDI (Should not be in this BIOS)
  • Microcode updated to the latest version (2015/08/10)
  • RAID updated to the latest version (14.8.0.2377)

from SoniX
Note for overclockers:
The latest CPU Microcode has helped me achieve the same O.C. with 0.05 less voltage in both cache and frequency on a 5960X.

As this is modded you have to use BIOS flashback to update the BIOS

R5E.CAP

Original thread is here, please post your thanks to SoniX & Fabulist for doing all the hard work over at win-raid http://www.win-raid.com/t1108f16-Solved-How-to-mod-an-ASUS-Rampage-V-Extreme-BIOS-4.html#msg22870
35 REPLIES 35

SB_NL_
Level 9
THX GoNz0 8-)

What is your experience in using this modded BIOS?
Is it save to use and I don't mean like "use at your own risk to cover my ass" kind of safe, but do you actually notice stability/overclocking/temperature /RAID mprovements?

GoNz0-
Level 10
Last BIOS (1701) was modded by me thanks to the guides at win-raid to update the intel raid modules as I at random dropped a drive from the array or had a system that wouldn't find a boot drive (went into BIOS instead of booting until the BIOS was reset)
This also fixed it for at least one other member who had the same issue, Asus are an entire jump out running oRom 13.x.x.x when 14.x.x.x is the current release.

After that other members here and on win-raid (some the same people) started updating other modules such as the CPU microcode as Asus claimed it was up to date but they were a month out. Then Lan modules were updated until we are at this stage.

The microcode update seems to allow lower voltages when overclocked so that could well address the issue already posted on here that the overclocks were unstable with the stock 1801

So basically the modded BIOS includes the latest module updates and they seem to be doing the trick for some of us 🙂

This is the only reason why I posted this as the 1701 modded BIOS helped others out.

Little risk involved as it is tested before being released to make sure the systems bootable and overclockable, probably less risk than the official one!

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey Gonzo,

What would be the benefits of an this modded bios is one does not have a raid array ?. And the intel micro-code update included in the modded bios isn't in the official 1801 bios ?...

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey Gonzo,

What would be the benefits of an this modded bios is one does not have a raid array ?. And the intel micro-code update included in the modded bios isn't in the official 1801 bios ?...

Max

If you run ACHI mode then possibly none unless it is all part of the same but I do not know if that is the case, like I say it started out with me fixing a problem above the skill level of Asus UK technical support (and Asus's Bios engineers by the looks of things) as they seem only capable of passing on emails and never getting back to you.

As for the microcode, well yet again Asus are not using the latest microcode or it wouldn't have been updatable 😉

Hmmm, I'm having a problem. I've tried about 4 times now to update the BIOS with the ROG Connect USB port and the ROG Connect button. Both the modded and unmodded 1801 versions. All of them have failed. Nothing bad happens, I'm just still in 1701. One of my cards is blocking the BIOS LED's fairly effectively but I *can* see a flash on and off about 5 times, then it goes solid on. Anyone have any idea? Is it possible I've been running on the BIOS 2 and it only works on BIOS 1? Or does it always load the new BIOS into whichever one is active?

For the record, I have successfully updated the BIOS in this way in the past, though I seem to remember it taking longer than the 5-10 or so seconds of flashing that I'm getting now. Might be wrong there though.

Qwinn
Level 11
I've deleted a few posts here, because they were about an issue I was having with getting bios flashback to work. Got it resolved, not really relevant anymore. DeadiYSinner99's post below is in response to that.

Qwinn wrote:
Now, isn't the ROG Connect port supposed to also function as a regular USB 2.0 port? If I plug a USB drive into that port while Windows is running, Windows is not finding it. So I'm wondering if my ROG Connect port isn't just dead/fried. Can someone please plug any flash drive into that port during normal operation and tell me if Windows finds it?

I can answer this. Yes it functions as a normal port. I currently have my Logitech g930 headset plugged in and it works properly. I do have a couple 3.0 ports and the keybot port that are bad on mine, so it could be that your port went bad =/

Qwinn
Level 11
Well, if so, that really sucks. I love this feature and it makes me feel comfortable upgrading BIOS's and even using modded ones. If I'm no longer capable of using this feature, that limits me tremendously.

The USB port right next to it works fine with the same sticks I'm trying. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Qwinn
Level 11
Ok, this is weird now. I've gotten the computer to recognize one of the flash drives. Did so by pressing the ROG Connect button on the back on, then off again. Now it can read it. Put the file on there. Shut down with it still in. Tried to flash it. Didn't work (5 flashes then solid on). Tried to unplug it and plug it back in. Tried a few times to push the ROG connect button to have it both be lit and unlit whenever I held it in to start the flash. This particular USB drive does have an activity LED and it *did* light up a couple times during my attempts. Nothing works. But at least the port isn't completely dead. I just still can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Incidentally. I made absolutely sure the file is not named R5E.CAP.CAP.

For obvious reasons I'm only trying to work this problem with the unmodded BIOS, but I was looking forward to trying the modded one. Bleah. Using this method is the only way to get a modded BIOS in, so if I don't figure this out, won't be able to try it.