cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations/Restrictions for M.2 SSD for ROG GL751JL

EntenEller
Level 7
Hi, friends. I'm a bit of a newbie on this level of tweaking, and after puzzling over many other sources of information, including Asus specs, I thought I'd turn to those I can really trust: you all who actually have a machine, and know what you are doing!

===My question: what M.2 SSDs will work with the ROG G951JL, and are there any special steps to get it to work?

I know that I can put in a SATA3 SSD (like Samsung 850 EVO), but would the M.2 version or mSata version fail, because the M.2 slot is PCIe? And if I can afford a PCIe SSD, would the 950 Pro work in this G751JL, or do I need to stick with the SM951 with ACHI (and what may or may not be the difference between those two, including performance)? I'm trying to learn, but I'm stretching here a bit out of my league, and don't want to make any dumb mistakes. 🙂

My apologies if this was already answered elsewhere... I couldn't find it in my searching, and thought I'd better be sure to ask since the GL752VW seems to only take the SM951 with ACHI listed (and not easily the 950 Pro). --Aeolisio, I'm already eyeing your 3D-printed bracket, in case I need it (thank you!), and Gps3dx, thank you for the UEFI installation thread (although I'll have to work through that once to make sure it all makes sense to me).

----
And, if any of you have the patience to help me with a related question... these machines are coming with Win10 Home. Since I have some legal licenses of Win7 Pro, I thought that I'd pull the new 1TB 5400 drive before even powering up, install the SSD, install Windows 7 Pro and activate it, upgrade to Win10 Pro and get that activation registered, then do a clean installation (UEFI of course) of Win 10 Pro, and when all seems well reinsert the original HDD in the second bay for storage, and format it.

==Does that strategy make sense, or is there something that I'm overlooking, or a stumbling block that I'm not taking into account?

Thanks for all the help and feedback on this one, from someone who really would like to learn to do it right! 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

EntenEller
Level 7
Friends... I just got my hands on the new G751JL... popped open the expansion cover... and my question about which M.2 SSDs is moot, as the G751JLs do not have an M.2 connector at all. :mad: Very disappointing.

Yes, two drive bays, and two SATA3 ports, and two drive cages (one populated with the 1Tb 5400rpm drive)... but there is not any M.2 connector. (I'll add a photo if anyone needs it.) So my only real option is an SSD with a SATA connector, like the Samsung 850 EVO (or some such... if anyone has other recommendations, those would be welcome).

I'd still be glad for anyone weighing in on my drive and OS installation plan... I'll plan to start that build Monday, after I get the SSD. Thanks in advance for any feedback or tips!

aeolisio
Level 10
If only there was a stickied thread with 19 pages of this information right at the very top.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions
Please take the time to read or search before posting you would save yourself so much hassle. Some JLs infact do come with the m.2.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aeolisio... I agree we have a wealth of info here, but nowhere in my searching these forums could I find that the G751JL had a configuration that did not include the M.2 slot... rather, info about what M.2 might work in which machine. So I got caught.

I'd humbly suggest that the bigger problem is Asus not posting accurate specs. If only we could look up a system by it's model number and really know what was there, that could solve a LOT of problems.

mijicm1
Level 7
I've got a G751JL. No M.2 slot either. An 850PRO is more than enough speed-wise.

EntenEller
Level 7
EntenEller wrote:

And, if any of you have the patience to help me with a related question... these machines are coming with Win10 Home. Since I have some legal licenses of Win7 Pro, I thought that I'd pull the new 1TB 5400 drive before even powering up, install the SSD, install Windows 7 Pro and activate it, upgrade to Win10 Pro and get that activation registered, then do a clean installation (UEFI of course) of Win 10 Pro, and when all seems well reinsert the original HDD in the second bay for storage, and format it.

==Does that strategy make sense, or is there something that I'm overlooking, or a stumbling block that I'm not taking into account?

Report back, for anyone else who might like to try. I installed the SSD, and put the 1 TB 5400 drive in as the secondary drive (and had to reverse the drive cage and use the *side* mounting screws to achieve proper fit in the second drive bay). In UEFI I disabled secure boot, in order to be sure I could boot with Win7 Pro, and so successfully booted from the Win7 Pro installation CD. But after copying files and starting to boot Win7, it would hang every time, with the Win7 logo still coming together... so no joy. I figure something about the hardware Win7 Pro didn't know how to handle. So I simply booted from the secondary drive, and I'm into Windows 10 Home. 😞

Curious... what do I lose by being in Windows 10 Home vs Pro?