cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

950 Pro not detected by Sabertooth Z170

b0gd4n
Level 7
Hey,

I installed a 950 Pro in the dedicated M.2 slot of the Z170 Sabertooth mobo, but the drive is not being detected.

When I boot into BIOS, I can see my 850 Evo, but not the 950. I tried removing the 850, and tinkering with some bios settings, but was unable to get it to appear.
I decided then to install windows 10 on the 850 and try to clone the drive afterwards, but Window is not detecting the 950 either.
I tried a few options found on some forums, but all steps can be applied on the Sabertooth Z170 mobo.

Can someone please let me know how to get the 950 as a boot drive so I can install Windows on that?

EDIT:

Anyhow...I just updated the bios and restore all settings to default, and now the drive appeared, so I was able to pick it and install Windows 10 on it.

Yey!
7 REPLIES 7

Sect
Level 7
good to hear you got it to read in the ufei.
Have you monitored it's temperature during use at all?

what BIOS version did you upgrade to to get it to work with default settings?
don't forget to install the NVMe drivers from samsung 😄

Sect wrote:
good to hear you got it to read in the ufei.
Have you monitored it's temperature during use at all?

what BIOS version did you upgrade to to get it to work with default settings?
don't forget to install the NVMe drivers from samsung 😄

no, unfortunately I did not monitor any of the temps.
the bios version is now 1302

Actually, now that I look up the temps, I am not getting any readings from the 950 drive. I checked the 850 drive and that is reporting a whole bunch of things, but nothing from the nvme one.

Is this to do with the fact that I do not have the samsung driver installed? I will install this and see if that helps

InfernoStorm
Level 10
A lot of other boards from other brands were having the same issue with the 950 SSD so I'm glad to hear that the new BIOS has fixed the issue.

Install the nvme driver from the samsung website.

The Samsung Magician Software is actually quite light and worth installing. You can test your drives in it, but dont be too concerned with the 950 benchmark as it's not an accurate reflection of its performance.

If i check the SMART info for my 950 I get somewhat alarmingly high temp readings, so I'll have to look into whether it's a correct reading or not.

Sect wrote:
Install the nvme driver from the samsung website.

The Samsung Magician Software is actually quite light and worth installing. You can test your drives in it, but dont be too concerned with the 950 benchmark as it's not an accurate reflection of its performance.

If i check the SMART info for my 950 I get somewhat alarmingly high temp readings, so I'll have to look into whether it's a correct reading or not.

magician is saying it's 145 (which I assume fahrenheit (63C) but Aida64 is saying it's 56C. Anyway, both high and on normal load (the drive is the os drive). I also have the M.2 mobo cover over the drive, which def increases the temps.

Ok cool, thanks for letting me know. They are said to run hot, but Samsung states not to the point of performance inhibition.

I too have the cover on and have thought to remove it - which I might do when I replace my water cooler in a week or so. I'm considering sticking a heatsink to the m.2 drive to increase surface area heat dissipation. I'll update this thread with pics if I do.

Undermoose
Level 7
You will hit just under 100c on the 950pro at about 3 minutes of stressing data bandwidth to it, that's it's temp throttling point. The 951 OEM hits about 110c, it writes just a touch faster and has no throttling from what I've read.

950 Pro = 450 endurance, 951 OEM 150 endurance, I got these numbers from a comparison on the Internet. They're probably accurate if you're pushing temps constantly, but for typical desktop use I doubt you'll cook either of them often.