cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert3 on Hero VIII fan cycling

BJBBJB
Level 7
I have an issue with how fan xpert is handling my PWM fans. I ran it's analysis which worked fine and turned off the "silent mode" on the CPU as that seemed to give silence now at the expense of a high rampup later.

I then saved that profile.

But what I have noticed is when it does spin up the fans - which is great of course you want that when things get hotter - it seems to cycle them form very low, like when cool, to mid-range speed within 10 or 20 seconds. I would think they would spin up for a while.
The even stranger thing is if when it is doing this if I re-load the fan profile I saved in fax xpert, it goes back to normal behavior.

I looked at some older posts talking about something kind of like this, but I am on the latest version and not sure if the issues are related or not. I have 3 PWM fans and the CPU fan, all air cooling. I guess a related question is the "bottom fan" is just providing some cooling to the hard drives and SSD. Should I just set that to a manual speed rather than letting it choose what speed to run that one at? I am sure it does not know how to isolate the temp at the bottom of my Antec case to determine the speed of that fan. It seems to run all the case fans at around the same speed at the same time.

Thanks!
BJBBJB
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15

BJBBJB
Level 7
Thanks Chino. Any thoughts on what is causing the quick fan cycling on the other fans?

Chino
Level 15

I hope this image helps. It shows the curve the fan tuning gave one of my PWM fans and a snip of an actual period when it was cycling which is kind of annoying. No problem with higher fan speed under temp, but for it to cycle when essentially cool seems strange. Unless the temp. was cycling that high and low, not sure why it starts cycling like that.

And even stranger when resetting my saved "template" stops it. Or if I just wait long enough it "settles down" sometimes.

Perhaps the better way is to configure directly in the bios but I have not attempted to do that yet and need to understand that better.

Thanks for any insights,
BJBBJB

BJBBJB
Level 7
Hopefully I can help others that are also not quite in the advanced FaxExpert3 class as I certainly am not! 🙂 I determined my problem was probably with one of my other fans. It has "auto-fan stop" on and the temp with light use was hovering right around that on/off point. And the spin down time was set to zero which made the spin down and up very noticeable. I set the spin down time to 25 seconds and that smoothed out the spin up and down.

I am trying to figure out how to insert another data point to just have it slowly ramp down (right now all I can get it to do is to go auto off or cutoff right at the last data point which is a pretty high RPM).

But anyway, the point of the post was to try to post a resolution for anyone else running across this post.

I totally understand the desire of many to just make the changes in the bios, and for many things I like to do that. However for fan control, it is nice to make them in the program.

BJBBJB

BJBBJB
Level 7
I have set fan spin up/down times on back and top fans to 51 seconds and CPU to 12 seconds up, 25 seconds down. My curves are per the FanXpertfan tuning.

At these settings I would expect fan cycling to stop. Any idea why I get cycling even with a limited load (viewing a web page for example)?

Thanks,
BJBBJB