cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x16 Pci Express slot on asus z97-a running at x2

XlordB
Level 7
So heres the background.
My h240x cooler leaked some drops over my gfx card one of the drops mustve got into the slot and shorted out my pc.. i had to rma the gfx card my msi bridge led also went out so that will need rmad however my second gtx 970 was ok but i never checked the pci slot speed i didnt realise it had changed until i got a new rma card back when i tried to sli i had a slight problem but managed to get it working in sli. however the slot speeds arent showing the correct 8x - 8x in sli. currently the slots show slot 1 at x2 and slot 2 at 8x.
My old card is in slot 1 which is the x2 and my new card is in slot 2.

I tried putting 1 of each card into slot 1 and then slot 2 by themselves to see what the speeds were.
my old card is stuck at x2 no mater which slot i use and my new card is sitting at x8 in slot 2 but x4 in slot 1.

I tried cleaning the pci slots with isopropyl but it hasnt changed nothing i tried updating the drivers etc and also the bios to the latest mobo bios to no avail. In bios itself it shows that the cards are at x2 and x8.. ANy ideas on a fix?

Also in hwinfo the first card thats x2 reads as pci3.0 16x at x2 (8gb) and the second card reads 16x at x8 (8gb) to me this means both cards are actually running at x8 since both read 8gb however i cant understand the x2 on card 1?

Beleive me i am just as confused as you guys will be reading this.
2 REPLIES 2

XlordB
Level 7
Never mind i managed to find the problem and fix it.

XlordB wrote:
Never mind i managed to find the problem and fix it.

Hi,

So what is the problem? You didn't slot the card properly?