cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4x Titan X, Rampage Bios issue *update*

Mhill2029
Level 8
I am getting lower performance in benchmarks with 4-Way SLI than i get in a TRI SLI, and TRI SLI also takes a hit in performance when OC'ing my CPU. This led me into a head spinning testing frenzy.

My testing consisted of the following:

Reseating CPU
Testing all GPU's individually
Testing all PCI-E lanes extensively
Testing various SLI configs using various Titan X's in various pairs etc.
Flashing Bios, and using Bios 1 and Bios 2 chips
Changing AX1500i into a single 125A rail.
Changing PSU and using Dual PSU's

Then i reset my bios to optimised defaults, which i've done a number of times. But this time i didn't use or save to an OC profile, i jumped into Heaven 4.0 and running the Extreme preset @ 2560x1440 X8 AA, i suddenly got the following numbers...please bere in mind that my TRI SLI hits 145.0fps average and 4-Way always hit 127fps average, so i'm onto something here as these numbers never happened to me ever. CPU is @ stock.

FPS: 170.3
Score: 4290
Min FPS: 29.3
Max FPS: 235.4

Although on my 2nd run i hit just 156FPS average, so it seems that i have that corrupted Bios issue. I tried it 2 more times with Firestrike, but i couldn't make it happen again. But i'll keep persisting to finally see 4-way SLI scores.

Is it worth going the RMA route? Since any replacement board could do the same thing.
Shall i get a replacement of an alternative board other than the Rampage V?
Reprogramming the Bios is something i've read about across forums, but will this stop Bios corruption permanently?
Intel i7-6950X @ Stock for now
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)
Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 (Bios: 3101)
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinums @ 3000Mhz
512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (RAID-0)
2x EVGA Titan X Superclocks in SLI
Corsair AX1500i Titanium + Red Sleeved Cables
2x 27" Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (Surround 7680x1440 @144Hz + GSync)
Lian Li PC08 Tempered Glass Case
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround
21 REPLIES 21

Hawkstorm
Level 7
You should run Firestrike Extreme for that setup.

Did you run any tracking software to monitor what your GPU's were doing during all of this?

As far as PSU's you need 2 for that setup, your score shouldn't degrade with overclocking, but there will be variation in your score from test to test.

How do your scores compare to ones posted?

You could also try connect both the 8 pin and 4 pin Atx connectors along with the EZ plug though you shouldn't have to but 5960X can draw a lot of juice.

Hawkstorm wrote:
You should run Firestrike Extreme for that setup.

Did you run any tracking software to monitor what your GPU's were doing during all of this?

As far as PSU's you need 2 for that setup, your score shouldn't degrade with overclocking, but there will be variation in your score from test to test.

How do your scores compare to ones posted?

You could also try connect both the 8 pin and 4 pin Atx connectors along with the EZ plug though you shouldn't have to but 5960X can draw a lot of juice.

I use EZ-Plug, and have tried the extra cpu power connector and it made no difference. I also tried a 2nd PSU powering 2 of the GPU's and saw no difference. From what i've been seeing with Firestrike default test, is that the resolution is just 1080p and a 5960X @stock would be a bottleneck. Although why the last test which is where it tanks still occurs randomly even when overclocked puzzles me.

Most people sporting systems like mine have the same psu, and i can't believe needing 2 would be a requirement. But i'll do another test just in case.

Running 3x GPU's 5960x @stock = 26,500 or so
Running 4x GPU's 5960x @stock = 26,800 or so

Running 3x GPU's 5960x @4.5Ghz = 30,200 or so
Running 4x GPU's 5960x @4.5Ghz = 32,600 or so ( which puts me 30th in Hall of fame)

I'll also give the extreme tests a go when i get time....
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Each one of those cards pulls 250w (300 for safety) That's over 1kw just for your GPU's, a 5960x overclocked can pull upto 300-400w which is a lot.

Now you could theoretically squeeze it on a 1650W but I wouldn't recommend it.

But to be honest scaling being what it is except for benchmarking you might as well connect house bricks for the 3rd and especially 4th card.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Is a power calculator this one isn't too bad and does leave a little headroom as well as calculate CPU wattage on overclocks, I'd still add a 30% margin on top of that at least to calculate your total wattage.

Also flip your cards out and back in SLI mode in Control panel I've had them say they are in SLI but weren't and a driver update tends to flip them out of SLI, also if that doesn't work do a custom clean install of the Video drivers again and see what happens.

2 Titan X should run anything you throw at them, even multiple screens, I'm not sure exactly how much benefit your going to get above 3 cards because of diminishing returns, certainly not worth the cost of the 4th card that's for sure.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
If you want to see something interesting try 3 way SLI with the 4th solo card designated as a dedicated Phsyx card.

Mhill2029
Level 8
I thought PhysX was pretty much dead these days, what purpose would it serve? Unless firestrike uses it.....
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Mhill2029 wrote:
I thought PhysX was pretty much dead these days, what purpose would it serve? Unless firestrike uses it.....

Seems the only help your getting is from Hawkstorm which seems to have pretty much no understanding in the mater, using your 4th card for Physx will change nothing this only applies for Nvidia Physx which are used in the unreal engine and nothing else, Also your PSU should be fine seeing seeing i ran a GTX 780ti on a 450w PSU for years, your CPU along with other components would draw less power than 300w and each GPU would be less than 200w so your probably have around 300w overhead, just a idea but try dropping back to 16gb of memory to see if there any change just to see.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Seems the only help your getting is from Hawkstorm which seems to have pretty much no understanding in the mater, using your 4th card for Physx will change nothing this only applies for Nvidia Physx which are used in the unreal engine and nothing else, Also your PSU should be fine seeing seeing i ran a GTX 780ti on a 450w PSU for years, your CPU along with other components would draw less power than 300w and each GPU would be less than 200w so your probably have around 300w overhead, just a idea but try dropping back to 16gb of memory to see if there any change just to see.

I was rather confused with his suggestion. As for Nvidia Physx, i haven't seen that even talked about anymore. CPU's are so fast that any kind of specific dedication to it with a GPU would be pointless beyond pointless. But oh well.....at least he's actively helping. The 16Gb idea i have already tried, plus i can't see that being much of an issue on Bios 1801 and 32Gb. I feel the IMC would be pretty crap if it fell under such modest amounts of memory. I was going to get 64Gb originally, but decided against it in the end due to IMC stress and reducing overclock potential.

Oh and i would like people not to lecture me about diminishing returns and the 4th GPU is a waste nonsense, i'm not new to the game and this is my 5th 4-way SLI setup. People like me aim for more performance no matter how small it is, that's what us overclockers strive to get regardless.
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yes you are right even using a dedicated Phsyx card along with a high end GPU you wont even see a difference, i missed your specs i thought you had 8 sticks rather than 4 which makes a difference, have you tired running any other Benchmarks to test performance ?

Mhill2029
Level 8
Yeah i got the following with just CPU @ 4.5Ghz, memory @ 2133 bios default.

Heaven 4.0 @ 2560x1440 extreme preset = 186FPS AVG

RealBench = 134,000 or so overall score

I'll run some firestrike extreme and ultra later
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)