cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Operating temperatures for G752VT

Erasamus
Level 7
Recently got my ROG G752VT and it seems to be running hot to me. CPU and GPU both idle at around 40-46 deg. This seems ok to me.

The thing that worries me is while gaming the GPU maxes out at 75-77 deg. while the CPU is shoots up to 80-85 and I have even seen it as high as 99 deg. Some games are worse than others Dragon Age Inquisition seems to run the hottest for some reason. Other games such as Mad Max, SWTOR, Fallout the CPU maxes out at 85 ish deg.

My question is are these temperatures normal? My Previous ROG rarely ever went above 75 on the CPU or GPU. Is it normal for the i-7 Skylake 6700hq to run this hot?
14 REPLIES 14

antoine52200
Level 8
No they are not, maybe you have too much softwares/stuff/bloatwares/viruses running in the background while playing which makes your laptop hotter.

When in complete idle at startup, how much cpu is used? how many processes you have running? the best should be 0% CPU, 8-12% memory, 0% disk and 0% internet.

This is a good indication for the health of you pc...

if every thing is good then you can use Intel XTu to underclock a bit your cpu for much better temps..

antoine52200 wrote:
No they are not, maybe you have too much softwares/stuff/bloatwares/viruses running in the background while playing which makes your laptop hotter.

When in complete idle at startup, how much cpu is used? how many processes you have running? the best should be 0% CPU, 8-12% memory, 0% disk and 0% internet.

This is a good indication for the health of you pc...

if every thing is good then you can use Intel XTu to underclock a bit your cpu for much better temps..

At complete idle 1% of CPU is used and reading 41 deg and holding there. I removed most of the bloatware most of the process are realated to NVIDIA Asus and windows processes. Fresh computer about a week old WIN 10 home with whatever Asus put on it. ROG center, MAcros ... etc.

Fired up dragon age inquisition just now and immediately went to 67 deg. During a bigger fights it jumps to 83 just now. 54% of CPU being utilized. I am thinking something is wrong here. Peaked through the panel in the bottom and both fans are turning.

GPU temps holding at 65 which is where i would think the CPU temp should be

Boxis
Level 7
It depends on your particular chip really. There are no 2 units with the exact same chip so every of them will reach just a little bit different temperature(sometimes even more than a little bit). You can return it back to your retailer and get different unit which may have lower temps.

Notebookcheck reports the CPU on your unit to reach 91°C during stress test so in reality your model should reach +- 5°C from this number (lucky users get 85°C max, others 95-96°C).

Still, 99°C is kinda hot, but try, if you can undervolt(not underclock yet) your CPU in Intel XTU and then test what temperature are you getting.

deccauk
Level 7
So much for the so called vapour cooling!

The CPU and GPU probably need repasting. ASUS factory paste is not the best. Quite a tricky job, but I did my G751JY and the temperatures during a Furrmark stress test dropped over 20 degrees for both CPU and GPU using IC Diamond.

deccauk wrote:
So much for the so called vapour cooling!

The CPU and GPU probably need repasting. ASUS factory paste is not the best. Quite a tricky job, but I did my G751JY and the temperatures during a Furrmark stress test dropped over 20 degrees for both CPU and GPU using IC Diamond.

I have suspected this from the beginning. Does this Void the warranty?

Yes - but only if they notice! I actually had to RMA mine after the repasting due to another issue. It required a new motherboard, which meant the repair company had to repaste the heatsinks, and the temperature were really high again. I repasted it a second time.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Bumping this older thread. I just got a G752VT from Microcenter. My CPU goes up to a steady 80*C while gaming, GPU sits at 69*C. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Do those temps seem high to you guys? I love this machine BTW, it's friggen amazing for a gaming laptop!!

Dreamonic
Level 12

Dreamonic wrote:
The same applies to CPU as well.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81922-GUIDE-on-safe-GPU-temperatures

Wow great guide! Thank you 🙂