cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking with i7-3770k and Maximus V Formula

Aibee
Level 7
Hi, I'm really new to overclock cpu and I'm still learning step by step. My first attempt today got to 4.3ghz with 1.28v ( I read some threads I know this voltage is too high for 24/7 daily using, 1.28 is the lowest I could go or I get blue screen while running P95) Idle temps are around 45C with all cores(seems good to me lol) but whenever I run P95 with Small FFTs the temp sky rocket to 100C~105C at this point I have no idea what to do anymore. I load the optimize bios and reset everything back and run P95 and CPU temp still goes over 100... I don't know whats wrong with my setup, help me please ! thanks!

My PC Specs:

i7-3770k
Maximus V Formula
Corsair H100i
I have the Cosmos 2 case with 5 fans (3 for pulling out the air from h100i radiator) 2 more fans for HDD and PSU
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello Aibee

1.28v is not too much for 24/7 use, Intel says max voltage for the 3770k is 1.52v if you can keep temps under control and it looks like you are having a temp problem. Temps shouldn't be near that high.

Is the pump running on the H100i? If it is I would suggest remounting your h100i water block and use a good thermal compound if you have some (be sure to remove the old). Make sure the waterblock is making good contact with the cpu.

Also I would uninstall prime95 and install ROG realbench, your stress testing temps will be much better using this.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Once installed click on stress test beside benchmark, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have, the 15 minute test is fine.

Here is my 3770k at 5.0GHz. My cooler is a little better than yours but you should still be getting way better results with the H100i.

Click the picture a few times so you can read it.

When remounting your water block start at one corner than go diagonal to the next corner then continue with the other two screws. Let me know if the pump is running and your results after remounting your water block please. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Aibee

1.28v is not too much for 24/7 use, Intel says max voltage for the 3770k is 1.52v if you can keep temps under control and it looks like you are having a temp problem. Temps shouldn't be near that high.

Is the pump running on the H100i? If it is I would suggest remounting your h100i water block and use a good thermal compound if you have some (be sure to remove the old). Make sure the waterblock is making good contact with the cpu.

Also I would uninstall prime95 and install ROG realbench, your stress testing temps will be much better using this.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Once installed click on stress test beside benchmark, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have, the 15 minute test is fine.

Here is my 3770k at 5.0GHz. My cooler is a little better than yours but you should still be getting way better results with the H100i.

Click the picture a few times so you can read it.

When remounting your water block start at one corner than go diagonal to the next corner then continue with the other two screws. Let me know if the pump is running and your results after remounting your water block please. 🙂

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the passionate reply! I think my idle temps are fine now with stock clock core1:28 core2:32 core3:33 core4:29, I guess I turned my heater on too high yesterday. So I ran prime95 again (because I couldn't download the realbench from your link, shows me to try after 5hs x.x) I tried Small FFTs again and still the temps are just getting up to 99~100 in a min. I will repaste it again to see if this goes away but mean while would you mind showing me ur setup for the overclocking with bios setup please :)? I don't expect 5.0Ghz but I want something better than stock! Maybe aim about 4.3, Thank you so much ! I will keep you updated! 🙂

Nate152
Your idle temps look good but load temps are still too high.

Try the Realbench link again it seems to be working now and follow my instructions above to run the stress test only.

Reset the bios to defaults (F5)

AI Overclock tuner - Manual
Turbo Ratio - Manual
Core Ratio limit - 43
CPU Manual voltage - 1.25v

F10 and Enter to save and exit.

If you can pass the Realbench stress test try the cpu voltage to 1.24v and test again, keep lowering it .01v until it fails the test then bring it back up .01v.

Tell me what you end up with and most importantly what your temps are.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
Nate is your 3770k water cooled ? Mine is at 4.7 @ 1.320v using H100i . If i try 4.8 it requires a lot more voltage like 1.4ish . I personally still have no reason to upgrade my cpu as my 3770k and Titan x still play great together on any game out there 🙂

Nate152
Yeah I have it liquid cooled with the Koolance ERM-2K3U liquid cooling unit. I agree with you the 3770k is still a good cpu just not as good as the 4790k or 6700k. I will take a 3770k over a 4770k any day though, those cpu's are poor overclockers and run hotter than our 3770k's.

Unfortunately cpu's are not created equal, some will need more voltage and some will need less for the same speed. This is my second 3770k and my first one was a real dog. For 4.7GHz it needed 1.55v and I fried it trying to get 5.0GHz stable so I'm pretty tickled with the one I have now.

There is a point where our cpu's will hit a wall and need a lot more voltage to hit the next 100Mhz but you shouldn't be there yet. The H100i can handle up to 1.35v and up to 1.40v if your room temp is on the chilly side. 4.7GHz with 1.32v is quite good with the H100i. 🙂

I love your gpu !

Aibee
Level 7
This page cannot be used now. The files downloaded from this page is over the limit. Please try again after 6 hours.

Can't download realbench, the struggle is real lol

Aibee
Level 7
Okay, so I just got it download from some forum member uploaded to dropbox, thanks to him 😛
I finished the 15mins test on stock and here's my temps. (I think they are around the higher end? x.x)

Nate152
Thank you

Hmmmm temps are still too high. I will suggest to repaste your cpu and remount the waterblock.

First remove the water block and clean off the cpu and waterblock with a soft cloth, you can use kleenex but don't use paper towels they are too abrasive. Once you get most of it off use another kleenex with a couple drops of rubbing alcohol to get the rest off of both.

Here's how I apply the thermal compound.

Add a dab about the size of a small pea in the center of the cpu and spread it evenly over the entire cpu with a credit card or drivers license. It is IMPORTANT it is a thin even layer, take your time you will be rewarded with good results.

Install the waterblock starting with one screw then go diagonal to the next corner and continue until four screws are tightened, the waterblock should be snug on the cpu.

Make sure the pump is running and your fans on the h100i are ramping up when under load.

Please post your results again after doing this.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
Still testing but so far 4.8 @ 1.370v temps are good still 🙂