cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS losses SDD intermittently; non ROG P8z77-V Deluxe help

RickSinGA
Level 11
My son came to visit for the holidays and brought his P8z77-V Deluxe system, that I had given him last year. We disconnected my ROG box and plugged his in and realized his nVidia GTX-780-Ti had different digital outputs than my GTX-980sc. I swapped the video cards and plugged in the system.

The system booted into safe mode? After going into the BIOS I saw that the SSD was not listed? I unplugged and reconnected the power and both ends of the cable to the MB. Rebooted into the BIOS and found the SSD although it was not the primary? Changed/saved and rebooted.

System came up perfectly and rebooted and started from scratch for the entire day.

Next day the same problem occurred! This time I changed the connections for both the HDD and the SSD on the MB and power supply. Rebooted and all was well. Saved the BIOS config again and used the machine all day again without problem.

Today, same old problem, no SSD shown in the BIOS. Checked ASUS website and confirmed all MB drivers including the BIOS etc are up to date. GTX-980sc is using latest drivers. Windows 10 did do a major update today fwiw.

He is running an i7-2600k at 4.4, and has been for over a year, a dual boot Win-7x64 (HDD) and Win-10x64 (SSD).

The only thing that changed was the video card as far as I can tell. No, I haven't tried changing the cards back yet as I run a 3 screen setup (which he does on his home system also) and we don't have the correct cable ends here.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is the date change or a completely cold system? Both seem illogical and very unlikely.

Thanks
Rick S.
26 REPLIES 26

Nate152
Hello Rick

The first thing I would do is run a CHKDSK on the SSD to make sure it's all fine and well. On occasion my ssd will get misconfigured and not be the first boot device, I'm not sure what causes it.

Any overclocking going on?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Somehow I didn't think you ran those kind of utilities on an SSD, but I will give it a try. Yeah, this machine is going on well over a year, maybe two, at 4.4Ghz . Had been bullet proof to this point.

Thanks
Rick S.

Chkdsk reports no errors.

Nate152
Ok so we know the ssd is in tip top shape.

The next thing to try is reset to defaults if that doesn't help try a bios reflash/update. I'm just giving you some easy things to try first. If that doesn't help remove the HDD and see if the ssd stays recognized. I know you're not pc illiterate and I'm sure the ssd is connected to an intel sata port but just double checking. It's ok to do a check disk and you are right there's no need to defrag an ssd.

Not to get off the subject here but how are you liking windows 10 I just installed it about two weeks ago myself and I'm liking it so far.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks Nate, btw, your previous lessons on offset voltages have my current machine purring like a kitten. Been running at 4.9Ghz for about a year now.

Very hesitant to do the defaults deal, but might at some point. I have forgotten most of what I have done! O.L.D. if you will.

Am in the process of doing a chkdsk on the HDD, been doing it for over an hour and still at 13% stage 4 on a one gig drive? Might have found the problem, I hope.

Will report in tomorrow.

Thanks
Rick S.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Sorry to be so late with the Win 10 response Nate, just really noticed the question.

I tried the preview when it was first coming around and didn't care for it after having to redo everything a few times so I haven't done anything since. Sits there on a pair of SSD's (O/S and Program drives) but I haven't even loaded the final version, just never boot to it.

I am sure I will get to it at some point but not anytime soon; I seem to find enough headaches to keep me busy on my own.

Rick S.

Nate152
You should install it if for anything the directx 12 feature, directx 12 games are coming very soon.

Any luck getting the ssd to stay recognized?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Not sure Nate. I forgot and left it on night before last and went to bed last night at 13% stage 4 of the chkdsk on the hdd. Had been at that point for a few hours. This morning it was sitting at Win 10 waiting on me so it must have finished during the night.

I went to Win 7x64 and cleaned up the files and attempted to run defrag but it just wouldn't do it so I rebooted and as win 7x64 started to come up it said it said it was reverting to older files as the updates didn't work, well something like that.

It is all working okay now but I will let you know better in the morning. Kind of "like a box of chocolates you just never know what you will get"

I understand the DX12 thing but the only games I do are FSX and iRacing. FSX 10 only uses DX10 preview while iRacing will likely use DX12 at some point, not a biggie with me for now. I am not into the shooter games, yet!

Rick S.

Nate152
yeah I know , you showed me your flight simulation setup, cockpit, flying wheel and three screens.

All you need is a parachute. 😄

Hawkstorm
Level 7
I had this on my R5E and it turned out to be instability with the Memory kit.