Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    SSD upgrade for the GL552VW - Please help !

    Hi everyone !

    Thanks in advance for your help. So i bought a GL552VW-DH71, and i want to upgrade with an SSD as my main OS drive, but i can't seem to find definitive information on the type of SSD that will work... I'm hesitating between two models :

    NVME : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-1...128gb+m.2+2280

    AHCI : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-1...9QZ7ZR6EARFS1W

    One last quick question : After doing a clean windows install of the OS on the SSD (or a OS migration), i understand that i will need to remove the HDD to be able to boot from the newly installed SSD. Does this mean that i will need to format the HHD with an external hub in order to reinstall it in the laptop and use it as mass storage ? Thank you everyone so much for your help !

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    I bought a GL552VW-DH71 a couple weeks ago and put a SATA m.2 Samsung 850 EVO in it and it works.

    What I find confusing is the Asus store page for the the SSD model says "Ultra-fast m.2 PCIe SSD and 1TB HDD". Maybe someone else here knows what's going on with that.

    I'm not sure about how to format it, but maybe booting to USB would do it. Before you format the old drive, search for your .icm files and save them because the current splendid files Asus has didn't have the the right ICC profiles and it won't install.

    One last thing, the laptop didn't come with a screw for the m.2 ssd, but I found one that fit in a laptop screw kit.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    I just read the m.2 ssd thread for GL752 and someone wrote that Canadian GL752 are pcie and U.S. models are sata III. Even though we have GL552's this is getting confusing. I now wonder if the GL552VW has two types of m.2 for different countries.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    The conector type of sata 3 and PCI-E are different. I have a new GL552VW bought in Spain and i have a PCi-E x4 conector but the SSD i'm trying to boot is a SM951 NMVe and mi it doesn't show on the boot selection when i install windows10 x64.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Hello again ! Just to clarify, i want to add an ssd in the PCIe slot, not replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD.

    Surri76, so you're saying this model :
    "http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-256GB-Solid-MZVPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWQY4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450363048&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+pcie+m.2"
    Does not get recognized by the Bios ? In this case, i may try the AHCI model.

    I just wish we had more information from those who successfully added an SSD in the PCIe slot of their GL552VW. Returning products is an assle and i'd love to buy the right SSD the first time.

    Also, any suggestion on how to go about migrating the OS ? I'v seen multiple times people mentionning the need to make a clean install. Can i simply boot from HDD, copy my HDD partition to my SSD, then reboot from SSD and format the HDD ?

    Finally, what are .icm files ?

    Thanks a bunch !

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootes View Post
    I bought a GL552VW-DH71 a couple weeks ago and put a SATA m.2 Samsung 850 EVO in it and it works.
    Hi Bootes ! Did you need any kind of kit to upgrade to the 850 EVO ? Like screws and cage and stuff like that ? Also, i assume you used an external hub to copy your HDD to the SSD before switching, right ?

    Thanks !

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Leonard2 View Post
    Hi everyone !

    Thanks in advance for your help. So i bought a GL552VW-DH71, and i want to upgrade with an SSD as my main OS drive, but i can't seem to find definitive information on the type of SSD that will work... I'm hesitating between two models :

    NVME : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-1...128gb+m.2+2280

    AHCI : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-1...9QZ7ZR6EARFS1W

    One last quick question : After doing a clean windows install of the OS on the SSD (or a OS migration), i understand that i will need to remove the HDD to be able to boot from the newly installed SSD. Does this mean that i will need to format the HHD with an external hub in order to reinstall it in the laptop and use it as mass storage ? Thank you everyone so much for your help !
    I am also planing to buy a new Asus rog Gl552vw-dh71 but after reading reviews online I found many people complaining about the build quality. Just wanted to know what you think about the laptop. Is it really worth the money? Should I go for Ali instead?

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by taimur792 View Post
    I am also planing to buy a new Asus rog Gl552vw-dh71 but after reading reviews online I found many people complaining about the build quality. Just wanted to know what you think about the laptop. Is it really worth the money? Should I go for Ali instead?
    Hey there ! Build quality of the GL552VW is OK. It's not nearly as bad as some people say, but the fan positioning (side) and the bad track pad can be a bit of a problem. If you don't use the trackpad and keep your laptop fans clean, these should'nt be an issue.

    However, ASUS support for installing a SSD as been atrocious. I just cannot get any definitive information on the matter. I bough the Samsung 951 AHCI 256gb M.2 PCIe, i'll report back if i managed to install it and make it work.

    That said, you can always swad the mecanical HDD for a 2.5" SSD instead. Less expensive than the M.2 PCIe, more simple, but you will lack dual disks.

    One last point : i bough the GL552VW from Newegg.CA (Canada) and the price was very attractive considering the CA to US exchange rate at the time. I would not have bough the laptop for 100$ more. If you CAN fork out the additional 300/400$ for a better built laptop, do it. If you are on a very tight budget, then the GL552VW is a good solution.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Leonard2 View Post
    Hi Bootes ! Did you need any kind of kit to upgrade to the 850 EVO ? Like screws and cage and stuff like that ? Also, i assume you used an external hub to copy your HDD to the SSD before switching, right ?

    Thanks !
    I just did a fresh install of windows 10.

    The only thing I needed to install the m.2 ssd was one of the screws from the kit below. I don't know exactly which one it was, I just found one that fit best.

    http://frys.com/product/7229923?site...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    I saw a similar kit on amazon.

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Leonard2 View Post
    Hey there ! Build quality of the GL552VW is OK. It's not nearly as bad as some people say, but the fan positioning (side) and the bad track pad can be a bit of a problem. If you don't use the trackpad and keep your laptop fans clean, these should'nt be an issue.

    However, ASUS support for installing a SSD as been atrocious. I just cannot get any definitive information on the matter. I bough the Samsung 951 AHCI 256gb M.2 PCIe, i'll report back if i managed to install it and make it work.

    That said, you can always swad the mecanical HDD for a 2.5" SSD instead. Less expensive than the M.2 PCIe, more simple, but you will lack dual disks.

    One last point : i bough the GL552VW from Newegg.CA (Canada) and the price was very attractive considering the CA to US exchange rate at the time. I would not have bough the laptop for 100$ more. If you CAN fork out the additional 300/400$ for a better built laptop, do it. If you are on a very tight budget, then the GL552VW is a good solution.
    You have the metallic version or plastic version?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •