Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I have the metallic version !

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bootes View Post
    I just read the m.2 ssd thread for GL752 and someone wrote that Canadian GL752 are pcie and U.S. models are sata III. Even though we have GL552's this is getting confusing. I now wonder if the GL552VW has two types of m.2 for different countries.
    Yes, I show the GL552VW can also use different motherboards to support either PCIE M.2 SSDs or SATA3 M.2 SSDs (but not both at the same time), so something that should be checked first.
    Only seeing the GL552VW supporting SATA3 M.2 SSDs in the U.S. and Canada right now, but better to double-check the full GL552VW-xxxx model name to be sure in case I missed anything, or something changes later.
    Thanks and sorry this couldn't be easier.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Yes, I show the GL552VW can also use different motherboards to support either PCIE M.2 SSDs or SATA3 M.2 SSDs (but not both at the same time), so something that should be checked first.
    Only seeing the GL552VW supporting SATA3 M.2 SSDs in the U.S. and Canada right now, but better to double-check the full GL552VW-xxxx model name to be sure in case I missed anything, or something changes later.
    Thanks and sorry this couldn't be easier.
    Hello Cl-Albert ! I opened up the GL552VW-DH71 that i have, and the connector looked like it was a PCIe connector : There was only one indentation.

According to what i saw, in this image (http://www.hwtools.net/jpg/Compatibi...SD_M2P4A_1.png), the right connector would be the right one, so PCIe. That does not tell me if NVME or AHCI would work, tho.

I find it extremely disapointing and baffling that ASUS customer service can't even tell me what type of M.2 SSD my laptop is compatible with. I filled a ticket online (through e-mail) AND on the phone (through escalation), and, 3 days later, NO ONE replied.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by 2Leonard2 View Post
    Hello Cl-Albert ! I opened up the GL552VW-DH71 that i have, and the connector looked like it was a PCIe connector : There was only one indentation.

According to what i saw, in this image (http://www.hwtools.net/jpg/Compatibi...SD_M2P4A_1.png), the right connector would be the right one, so PCIe. That does not tell me if NVME or AHCI would work, tho.

I find it extremely disapointing and baffling that ASUS customer service can't even tell me what type of M.2 SSD my laptop is compatible with. I filled a ticket online (through e-mail) AND on the phone (through escalation), and, 3 days later, NO ONE replied.
    Hi 2Leonard2, fyi. Can't explain the M.2 connector that you have right now, but my information shows the GL552VW-DH71 is using SATA3 M.2 SSDs if it matters and Bootes reported installing a SATA M.2 SSD on your same model, so not sure if we can ask them or others who are using SATA3 M.2 SSDs on the GL552VW-DH71 to confirm the type of connector they have or provide a picture (unfortunately, don't have GL552VW units around to check right now)

Quote Originally Posted by Bootes View Post
    I bought a GL552VW-DH71 a couple weeks ago and put a SATA m.2 Samsung 850 EVO in it and it works.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 12-19-2015 at 12:40 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Hi 2Leonard2, fyi. Can't explain the M.2 connector that you have right now, but my information shows the GL552VW-DH71 is using SATA3 M.2 SSDs if it matters and Bootes reported installing a SATA M.2 SSD on your same model, so not sure if we can ask them or others who are using SATA3 M.2 SSDs on the GL552VW-DH71 to confirm the type of connector they have or provide a picture (unfortunately, don't have GL552VW units around to check right now)
    But would'nt the SSD connectors have two indentations if it was a SATA m.2 connection ? Maybe Bootes could tell me. I bought the laptop from Newegg.ca, maybe the canadian models have PCIe connectors. Please clarify this for me : do PCIe slot have one or two identations ?

ROG Member Array

BUMP ! One last question if anyone knows : Do M.2 PCIe connectors can also take M.2 SATA SSDs ? As i said in my previous messages, my GL552VW has a M.2 PCIe connector, but the model is supposed to take M.2 SATA.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

See cl-albert reply above you in this thread
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

cl-Albert, I think I have the USA GL552VW-DH71 and mine looks like a singe keyed PCIe slot. See pics.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_9166.jpg  

IMG_9165.jpg  

ROG Member Array

That's where it get confusing ! My GL552VW -DH71 also is a single keyed PCIe slot, exacly like the one in Daselby's photo. cl-Albert says the GL552VW-DH71 is compatible with SATA 3 SSD. Does that mean that a single keyed PCIe slot can also accomodate SATA 3 SSD ? Or is the connector simply wrong, and our machines are flawed ? I wish we could see Bootes's connector, maybe his GL552VW-DH71 has the proper M.2 connector.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by daselby View Post
    cl-Albert, I think I have the USA GL552VW-DH71 and mine looks like a singe keyed PCIe slot. See pics.
    Hi daselby, thanks for the screenshot and your PM, but I believe M.2 SATA3 SSDs with the 2 keys (B+M) can still be installed, so that may not be conclusive enough. I still need to confirm this on my end, but emejay pointed out wikipedia mentioned this if it matters.
    Looks like we have a competing thread about this topic, but saw your other post there and doesn't sound like you have been able to get the M.2 PCIE SSD working yet?

Anyway, my information shows the same GL552VW-DH71 is sold in U.S. and Canada and supports M.2 SATA3 SSDs, so we may need to see if more people can confirm this works, or if there are any ways to get the M.2 PCIE SSDs working (I don't expect it, but wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong about something).

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot&p=560852&posted=1#post560852

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast