cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V Extreme Issues/No Issues

BwaaahSharkie
Level 7
Okay, so after chatting with a few users on this forum, I've realized that the question to ask here is...

Who has had an Asus ROG RAMPAGE V Extreme for more than half a year/six months and hasn't had problems with it...?

Judging by everything I've heard I haven't had one person tell me they haven't had problems with this board, and that is really unattractive. Has anyone been using this board for a long enough time to be able to answer this?

And again, if not, does anyone have experience with the MSI X99A GODLIKE Gaming or MSI X99A Gaming 9 ACK? Is the reliability better with MSI regarding issues with MOBO's?

Lets discuss 🙂

-Kyle
39 REPLIES 39

Menthol
Level 14
I have had a R5E from release, every one is going to have some kind of issue with any system sometime or another, do you see any other manufacturer with a user based forum that compares to these forums
ASUS sells more boards than anyone else and these forums attract more users than any other manufacturers forums so obviously you will see more people posting there issues
The smart thing to do is read all the reviews on the net to help make your decision
I would say picking the correct components to go with the motherboard will determine if you have issues or not, these are high end motherboards and you should purchase high end components to compliment it
The correct choice of power supply, always go over kill on the power supply
The correct choice of memory and USB peripherals is where most of the compatibility issues are eliminated, still high end boards require some user tuning to get the most out of them and ROG UEFI bios's are regarded as the best in the industry and the fact that you see every other manufacturer mimic or copy ASUS ROG looks and features is a strong indication that ASUS is doing it right.

Menthol wrote:
I have had a R5E from release

Same here. No problems at all.

Kyle, you have to take into consideration that this is a support form. So most, if not all, users come here to solve their problem. Thus the many threads with problems. LOL

Chino wrote:
Same here. No problems at all.

Kyle, you have to take into consideration that this is a support form. So most, if not all, users come here to solve their problem. Thus the many threads with problems. LOL

Chino does this seem like a suitable build to compliment the RVE then?

Asus ROG RAMPAGE V Extreme (MOBO)
i7-5820k (CPU)
STRIX GTX980 Ti DirectCU III OC (GPU)
Ripjaws 4 Series (4x4gb) 2666MHz RAM (Memory)
EVGA SuperNova 850 B2 (PSU)
NZXT Kraken X61 (CPU Cooler)
NZXT Phantom 530 (Case/Chassis)

BwaaahSharkie wrote:
Chino does this seem like a suitable build to compliment the RVE then?

Asus ROG RAMPAGE V Extreme (MOBO)
i7-5820k (CPU)
STRIX GTX980 Ti DirectCU III OC (GPU)
Ripjaws 4 Series (4x4gb) 2666MHz RAM (Memory)
EVGA SuperNova 850 B2 (PSU)
NZXT Kraken X61 (CPU Cooler)
NZXT Phantom 530 (Case/Chassis)

Looks fine to me.

The following suggestions are purely personal because I've had a very satisfying experience with these brands in particular. And they are the ones I always recommend.

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($175.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $280.97

GoldenChallis
Level 7
Hi Kyle

I've had mine for almost 9 months now. Not a single issue my end. This is my 7th Pc build I've made for myself. So I'm no expert.
Technical forums dont tend to have people coming on and saying how amazing their rig is and they've never had problems.
they come here to get help, vent and express there pain 🙂 And that's what you get 🙂

What you wont see very often are posts like, hi i got a Asus/MSI board. omg its the best and i have no problems.

Msi's forums are no different. you will see alot of people complaining and having issues.

vmanuelgm
Level 11
I had it since the beginning, and I am in my fourth RVE.

Sold the first one to try other boards. The second one got dead. The third had problems with usb's and fourth is here working ok...

I have known a lot of users with problems too, specially with dead board/cpu and usb's...
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

Pleot
Level 8
Im not here for long, only got my r5e about two months ago, less even. Since visiting these forums ive seen a lot of people that arrive pulling their hair just to end up solving their issues and concluding it was some user tweaking stuff not mobo defects 🙂 Ive even seen posts describing how it was wrong to rma the mobo just to find the problem was the cpu after all 😄 Some forget that tweaking beyond the limits may endanger the expensive components and then blame how the mobo did not handle that extreme tweaking of the egg frying temps 🙂
In my case I arrived looking at the board and bios like a donkey looks at a palace and got some help and slowly found my way around things and am on my way with caution not to take steps longer than my legs and burn something 😄
In a general matter I am pleased with what I got, hope it continues this way 🙂

Aje
Level 7
RMA my R4E. Upgraded to the R5E and got it last week. During Windows installation, the BIOS hangs during POST if my 2x (dual monitors) Dell 3014 USB connectors are attached to the board. A strange error. If only one USB cable is connected, it works fine. But with two it's a no go. This only happens if I do a restart either from Windows or if some other software triggers a restart.

No issues like this with the R4E.

Any suggestions? Cleared BIOS and is fully updated.

So yes, problems...

My RVE seems, for the most part to be ok. I do have a USB 3.0 docking station (for data backup) that worked fine with my Maximus V Formula system. With my new RVE, it drops out frequently regardless of which USB port it is plugged into. That is about the only issue I have so far. Well, there is one other - I can't get it to go into sleep mode, but I haven't really looked into that yet.
Aje wrote:
RMA my R4E. Upgraded to the R5E and got it last week. During Windows installation, the BIOS hangs during POST if my 2x (dual monitors) Dell 3014 USB connectors are attached to the board. A strange error. If only one USB cable is connected, it works fine. But with two it's a no go. This only happens if I do a restart either from Windows or if some other software triggers a restart.

No issues like this with the R4E.

Any suggestions? Cleared BIOS and is fully updated.

So yes, problems...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro