cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an advice for upgrading GPU and MOBO !!!

ChosenOne
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the ROG CG8565 here is my spec:
CPU: i7-2600k
GPU: GTX 690
MOBO: I checked with Speccy and it said CG8565 but i think Its a P8Z68 V Pro
RAM: 16gb
So now i'm planning to upgrade my rig and here is the list of parts:
CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980ti
MOBO: Asus Maximus VIII Hero

I only use for gaming and I love to max out the settings for every modern game so I really need an advice from any of experts out there to help me out. Also I'm not really sure if my current ( CG8565 ) case can fit with the Strix 980ti or not? Or i have to get a new case better? I really want to get the Asus Rampage V or Maximus VIII Extreme but I don't know whats difference, then I looked up on the internet and they said the Maximus VIII Hero is good for gaming already and it doesn't "burn your bank".
Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
If I'm not mistaken, the GTX 690 is 28cm long and the Strix GTX 980 Ti should be around 30.5cm. So that's a 2.5cm difference. What you can do is measure the clearance space in the case and you'll know if it'll fit.

If you don't plan to do a multiple GPU setup in the future, the Z170 platform should be sufficient for your needs. In this case, you'd save a lot of money going with the i7-6700K and the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard. The new ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha should be in stores soon so you can take a look at that as well.

Chino wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the GTX 690 is 28cm long and the Strix GTX 980 Ti should be around 30.5cm. So that's a 2.5cm difference. What you can do is measure the clearance space in the case and you'll know if it'll fit.

If you don't plan to do a multiple GPU setup in the future, the Z170 platform should be sufficient for your needs. In this case, you'd save a lot of money going with the i7-6700K and the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard. The new ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha should be in stores soon so you can take a look at that as well.

Yes I wan't to go SLI soon in the future, so are there any problems with the VIII Hero if i go SLI?
With the VIII Hero Alpha i checked it already but i don't really whats difference between those 2, is it better performance or something else?

Chino
Level 15
No. The Maximus VIII Hero can support up to 2 way SLI. The Alpha version has a few more features like the U.2 connectors, Wi-Fi and RGB headers. That's about it.

This week has not been cheap. I'm upgrading my SLI. I chose the Gigabyte GTX 980 TI EXTREME'S. I'm Currently running SLI Gigabyte GTX 770 o.c. 4gb v2.0. My issues now is the power supply. I have a Corsair AX760. And completely forgot about the new power requirements brother the 980TI's. So I also ordered a AX1200i. So when your upgrading make sure your power supply feeding your 680 will be up to the task of feeding your new GPU and if your thinking SLI. Having a modular PSU can make it easier and easier on the eyes for windowed cases.

Vlada011
Level 10
ASUS make better graphic cards and PCB than GIGABYTE but you choose what you like.
GTX980Ti Matrix and Hero VIII are same family. It's sin installing GIGABYTE design on that.