cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking Non-K Skylake Processors

Chino
Level 15
This is not an official ASUS BIOS, only enables base clock overclocking on non-K CPUs. Don’t use this for K-series CPUs. It might damage your hardware, no guarantees provided.

Issues found so far

• No IGPU
  • No dynamic change of CPU frequency
  • No C-states
  • No Turbo Mode
  • CPU temperature reading is incorrect
  • AVX instructions have very low performance
  • Windows XP ACPI not supported

After flashing set the following settings to make it boot into OS with correct CPU speed

Advanced\CPU Configuration
- Boot Performance Mode -> Turbo Performance

Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU Power Management Configuration
- Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) -> Disabled
- CPU C states -> Disabled

Maximus VIII Motherboards
Maximus VIII Ranger 0002
Maximus VIII Hero 0002
Maximus VIII Hero Alpha 0002
Maximus VIII Gene 0002
Maximus VIII Formula 0002
Maximus VIII Extreme 0002
Maximus VIII Impact 0002

Pro Gaming Motherboards
Z170 Pro Gaming 1301
Z170I Pro Gaming 9006

Signature Motherboards
Z170-DELUXE 0050
Z170-A 0050
Z170-E 0050
Z170-K 0602
Z170-P 8001
Z170-P D3 8002
Z170M-Plus 8001
Z170M-E D3 8003
20 REPLIES 20

Yazon2006
Level 7
How to get such BIOS for Z170-P? MSI, GIGABYTE, ASRock have a lot of BIOSes almost for all Z170 motherboards! How long to wait such update from ASUS? Maybe someone know how to modify my BIOS? I will be appreciate any help. Thanks!

There are also for this motherboard BIOS available, thanks to der8auer:
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Non-K OC BIOS

Yazon2006 wrote:
How to get such BIOS for Z170-P? MSI, GIGABYTE, ASRock have a lot of BIOSes almost for all Z170 motherboards! How long to wait such update from ASUS? Maybe someone know how to modify my BIOS? I will be appreciate any help. Thanks!

I don't have an ETA on the BIOS for that specific model yet. When the BIOS is in my possession, I'll post it here.

Chino wrote:
I don't have an ETA on the BIOS for that specific model yet. When the BIOS is in my possession, I'll post it here.

Chino, who creating this BIOSes?

Yazon2006 wrote:

The BIOS to overclock non-K skylake processors on the Z170-P has been released. You can download it here: 8001

for me… when i update bios to non-k ver… my windows can not boot… i think z170 a m.b non-k bios have a problem or another….
i check it with your instruction and with default setting… but window cant startup .
my cpu is 6400 and m.b is asus z170 a .where is the problem!?

Chino
Level 15
Are you having problems entering Windows with a stock system or with an overclocked system? If your system is overclocked, your overclock might be unstable. You'd need to tweak it some more.

Chino wrote:
Are you having problems entering Windows with a stock system or with an overclocked system? If your system is overclocked, your overclock might be unstable. You'd need to tweak it some more.

hi
first i update my bios to non-K BIOS and continue your Instructions for non-k oc. But then I saw this problem(windows dont boot and
stuck at Windows startup).
after that i tried to flash and update non-k bios to official bios and default bios. with official bios windosw stat correctly.
again i update bios to non-k version… and dont Change bios settings….But without the change bios setting , Windows can not boot and stuck at Windows startup !

my problem is non-k bios ...with a stock system or with an overclocked system or diffrent Instructions ,my windows can not start