Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard Audio

Klunty
Level 8
Just wondering how many of you use it?

What do you think of the sound quality?

Did you buy a soundcard to use instead?

Anyone know of any in depth reviews of the onboard audio?
10 REPLIES 10

kaese
Level 10
I am very happy with the onboard sound. No need for an extra sound card for me. Thus I sold my Asus Xonar Phoebus PCI sound card as I like more the onboard sound. I could not detect any difference in sound quality between the internal and external sound signal generation, the onboard sounds warmer though - what I like.

I am using a Denon AVR-1801amplifier and 5.1 analog.

memetic
Level 7
I was a bit concerned about how good/bad the sound quality of the onboard audio was going to be, but it turned out to be very good. I am very happy with it.

Qwinn
Level 11
I use the onboard audio as well. No complaints at all.

GoNz0-
Level 10
total junk for decent headphones, the 600ohm rating is a total lie, it cannot power 150ohm cans with any depth, Asus posted on here admitting this is the case and an alternative solution should be sought for decent headphones. I went with the creative zxr.

Korth
Level 14
It's an Asus-programmed Realtek ALC1150 part, standard datasheet circuit with L+R channel separation and better-than-required caps.

I use it, along with 50-Ohm amp/speakers/headphones, sounds fine enough to my ears. I've noticed that sound quality varies far more from the audio source (game or player software) than from the audio hardware.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Pleot
Level 8
Im really picky with sound, and I listen to a lot of music. Got myself a creative x7 with a pair of bookshelf passive speakers, gave up on 5.1, and are very pleased. Also got a zxr but installed it on the second computer, x7 is as pure audiophile as it can get on a pc. Comparing logitech z5500 5.1 speakers to the sound of amplified stereo passive bookshelf speakers on the x7 I ditched the z5500 without hesitation, and z5500 are good... The power I get from the x7 is brutal, on 5% volume it is so loud ... And the sound is really crisp and all the details emerge, I actually hear all the subtle details with clarity on my flac collections. Onboard sound is just not for me anymore, im very difficult to please when it comes to sound and music listening...

Hopper64
Level 15
I like my SBZ card better than the onboard sound. Purely subjective.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Klunty
Level 8
Well I'm asking because I already had a SBZ before I got this motherboard and going by the looks and the manual it seem like they made a real effort but I never tried it. I might give it a go.