New ROGer Array

Need help with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Hello all,

Could somega one help me with this, as many of your my cpu temps go up to 90 while playing battlefield 4, I have been able to de reduce voltage but it does not help, only 1 or 2 degrees lower.

I read that reducing multipliers will also help, but I see 4 different values
    Core 1. 36x
    Core 2. 35x
    Core 3. 34x
    Core 4 . 33x.

I'm not sure what values to change or if there is other alternatives using this tool.

Thank you

(Thread created on Android while wife is shopping!!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

90°C is getting hot but Intel CPUs are designed to run 100% reliably up to 100°C.

What voltages did you decrease and by how much?

The maximum CPU multiplier when 1 core is active is 36, 2 cores active is 35, 3 cores active is 34 and 4 cores active is 33. Depending on what game or application you are running, the number of active cores can be constantly changing so the multiplier will be constantly changing as well. You can use XTU to lower the maximum multipliers. This will decrease the CPU speed which will allow the CPU will to run cooler. Many games are GPU dependent so you can reduce the CPU speed without really noticing a significant decrease in overall performance.

Intel CPUs do a great job of looking after themselves so you do not have to do this but if you prefer a cooler laptop, this is definitely an option.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    90°C is getting hot but Intel CPUs are designed to run 100% reliably up to 100°C.

What voltages did you decrease and by how much?

The maximum CPU multiplier when 1 core is active is 36, 2 cores active is 35, 3 cores active is 34 and 4 cores active is 33. Depending on what game or application you are running, the number of active cores can be constantly changing so the multiplier will be constantly changing as well. You can use XTU to lower the maximum multipliers. This will decrease the CPU speed which will allow the CPU will to run cooler. Many games are GPU dependent so you can reduce the CPU speed without really noticing a significant decrease in overall performance.

Intel CPUs do a great job of looking after themselves so you do not have to do this but if you prefer a cooler laptop, this is definitely an option.
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand that CPU can reach up to 100 degrees without any throttling, but just to have some peace in my mind I would like to keep it under 80-85 if posssible.

I reduced the Core offset temp and the Cache offset Temp.

I also used the App-profile setting to apply this to my game. Do I need to start the XTU application to activate the profile, or the process in the background will take care of that?

Thx

ROG Enthusiast Array matrixleader PC Specs
    matrixleader PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)EUROCOM Sky X9
    MotherboardIntel Sunrise Point Z170
    ProcessorIntel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.2 GHz
    Memory (part number)Samsung 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Graphics Card #1GeForce GTX 980 8.0GB GDDR5 (Desktop Version)
    Sound CardSound Blaster 3D Audio
    MonitorLG LP173WF4-SPD1 17.3" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Screen with G-SYNC Technology
    Storage #12 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0)
    Storage #22x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0)
    CPU CoolerIC Diamong Thermal Paste
    Power Supply660W AC Power Adapter
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticor
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC68U

Quote Originally Posted by joses8112 View Post
    Hello all,

Could somega one help me with this, as many of your my cpu temps go up to 90 while playing battlefield 4, I have been able to de reduce voltage but it does not help, only 1 or 2 degrees lower.

I read that reducing multipliers will also help, but I see 4 different values
    Core 1. 36x
    Core 2. 35x
    Core 3. 34x
    Core 4 . 33x.

I'm not sure what values to change or if there is other alternatives using this tool.

Thank you

(Thread created on Android while wife is shopping!!
    Thos are the CPU multipliers, the way you get the current speed is:

Your FSB (Front side Bus) speed is 100 MHz, so on a single threaded application using a single core only out of your 4 cores, the speed will be 36x100= 3600 MHz/3.6GHz

If you run an app that uses more cores like let's say 4 cores, perhaps a good video encoding software, then you cannot run all cores 2 3.6 GHz but at a bit slower 3.3 GHz on all cores.

Reducing the core multiplies will bring down the temps but that will reduce performance, at the end of the day, this shouldnt be a solution really because you bought the laptop to use it at the advertised speeds.

A good solution for you would be to remove the heatsink from the CPU and remove the currently installed stock thermal paste and replace it with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra pate, that will bring down the temps anywhere between 4-8C and is known to be the best thermal paste around.

Another good paste is GELID Extreme Thermal Compound.

Be careful while applying Liquid Ultra because it is corrosive so you don't want it touching anything other than your CPU.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

my is running only 99.77x36 :-)