cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

joses8112
Level 7
Hello all,

Could somega one help me with this, as many of your my cpu temps go up to 90 while playing battlefield 4, I have been able to de reduce voltage but it does not help, only 1 or 2 degrees lower.

I read that reducing multipliers will also help, but I see 4 different values
Core 1. 36x
Core 2. 35x
Core 3. 34x
Core 4 . 33x.

I'm not sure what values to change or if there is other alternatives using this tool.

Thank you

(Thread created on Android while wife is shopping!! 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

unclewebb
Level 10
90°C is getting hot but Intel CPUs are designed to run 100% reliably up to 100°C.

What voltages did you decrease and by how much?

The maximum CPU multiplier when 1 core is active is 36, 2 cores active is 35, 3 cores active is 34 and 4 cores active is 33. Depending on what game or application you are running, the number of active cores can be constantly changing so the multiplier will be constantly changing as well. You can use XTU to lower the maximum multipliers. This will decrease the CPU speed which will allow the CPU will to run cooler. Many games are GPU dependent so you can reduce the CPU speed without really noticing a significant decrease in overall performance.

Intel CPUs do a great job of looking after themselves so you do not have to do this but if you prefer a cooler laptop, this is definitely an option.

unclewebb wrote:
90°C is getting hot but Intel CPUs are designed to run 100% reliably up to 100°C.

What voltages did you decrease and by how much?

The maximum CPU multiplier when 1 core is active is 36, 2 cores active is 35, 3 cores active is 34 and 4 cores active is 33. Depending on what game or application you are running, the number of active cores can be constantly changing so the multiplier will be constantly changing as well. You can use XTU to lower the maximum multipliers. This will decrease the CPU speed which will allow the CPU will to run cooler. Many games are GPU dependent so you can reduce the CPU speed without really noticing a significant decrease in overall performance.

Intel CPUs do a great job of looking after themselves so you do not have to do this but if you prefer a cooler laptop, this is definitely an option.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand that CPU can reach up to 100 degrees without any throttling, but just to have some peace in my mind I would like to keep it under 80-85 if posssible.

I reduced the Core offset temp and the Cache offset Temp.

I also used the App-profile setting to apply this to my game. Do I need to start the XTU application to activate the profile, or the process in the background will take care of that?

Thx

matrixleader
Level 8
joses8112 wrote:
Hello all,

Could somega one help me with this, as many of your my cpu temps go up to 90 while playing battlefield 4, I have been able to de reduce voltage but it does not help, only 1 or 2 degrees lower.

I read that reducing multipliers will also help, but I see 4 different values
Core 1. 36x
Core 2. 35x
Core 3. 34x
Core 4 . 33x.

I'm not sure what values to change or if there is other alternatives using this tool.

Thank you

(Thread created on Android while wife is shopping!! 🙂

Thos are the CPU multipliers, the way you get the current speed is:

Your FSB (Front side Bus) speed is 100 MHz, so on a single threaded application using a single core only out of your 4 cores, the speed will be 36x100= 3600 MHz/3.6GHz

If you run an app that uses more cores like let's say 4 cores, perhaps a good video encoding software, then you cannot run all cores 2 3.6 GHz but at a bit slower 3.3 GHz on all cores.

Reducing the core multiplies will bring down the temps but that will reduce performance, at the end of the day, this shouldnt be a solution really because you bought the laptop to use it at the advertised speeds.

A good solution for you would be to remove the heatsink from the CPU and remove the currently installed stock thermal paste and replace it with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra pate, that will bring down the temps anywhere between 4-8C and is known to be the best thermal paste around.

Another good paste is GELID Extreme Thermal Compound.

Be careful while applying Liquid Ultra because it is corrosive so you don't want it touching anything other than your CPU.

warryabel
Level 7
my is running only 99.77x36 🙂