cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Windows 10 Build 1151 are hiding a code 66 for the G series?

QC_AGENT
Level 7
I was happy so far with my G751JY and windows 10 until the november cumulative update windows 10 build 1151. Half of the windows functions are now unresponsive. Including the WiFi that is disconnecting randomly. I can't even uninstall any program since the function is freezing. I will have to wipe out and clean install a new windows.

My former G73JW (owned by my sister) just crashed last week on a windows 10 update and is so far totally destroyed. when she called, she was desesperate with her Master degrees documents that she had to turn in the next day. I showed up with the Windows 10 USB stick, Thinking it was a simple repair... I could not reinitiate or repair anything. I had to format the drive twice before getting the windows 10 clean install to work and it went down again after the built 1151 update. (fortunately I could save her documents using MS DOS prior to wipe everything). The G73 is still down, I will try another windows install but it will indeed fail again.

So about my question... Am I alone of experience issues with the Build 1151?
16 REPLIES 16

joro_abv
Level 7
"Format the drive twice" doesn't sound as an OS problem. More of a hardware problem. My 1151 runs fine, btw.

NeoBeum
Level 9
Mine's not a complete 1511 build, because I've stripped the bits off that I don't want, but VPN is currently having some issues with my firewall because I'm too lazy to do stuff and just set it on Auto...

Put Windows 7 or 8.1 back on to the 73.. and tell Windows you don't want to update... ever.
If you crash on the 73, and it annoys you that much... you can go to 7... or disable the Wireless everytime you log off (if you/Windows automatically installed drivers for the wireless)

That's what I did to my G73

aeolisio
Level 10
QC_AGENT wrote:
I was happy so far with my G751JY and windows 10 until the november cumulative update windows 10 build 1151. Half of the windows functions are now unresponsive. Including the WiFi that is disconnecting randomly. I can't even uninstall any program since the function is freezing. I will have to wipe out and clean install a new windows.

My former G73JW (owned by my sister) just crashed last week on a windows 10 update and is so far totally destroyed. when she called, she was desesperate with her Master degrees documents that she had to turn in the next day. I showed up with the Windows 10 USB stick, Thinking it was a simple repair... I could not reinitiate or repair anything. I had to format the drive twice before getting the windows 10 clean install to work and it went down again after the built 1151 update. (fortunately I could save her documents using MS DOS prior to wipe everything). The G73 is still down, I will try another windows install but it will indeed fail again.

So about my question... Am I alone of experience issues with the Build 1151?

First off wrong forum put this into the g73 forums.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?114-Older-G-Series-Notebooks

Secondly 1151 runs fine on multiple g751s at the office. The format twice should have been your warning sign of hardware failure.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clintlgm
Level 14
I agree also it probably a hardware issue, however you keep insisting on running window 10 on this older model, it obviously isn't going to work for you so go back to win 7 for which the hardware was designed for. If you still have issues run diagnosis tools on the hard drive insure its not crashing. You would find these tool on the manufactures website ie WD western digital web site or which ever brand hard drive in in there.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

QC_AGENT
Level 7
Thanks you all for the ideas. It does help to have some support :-). I will work on it during the holidays and let you know my findings.

G73 is is not supported for windows 10 upgrade according to asus website. My old G74sx is not supported neither so I'm sticking with Win7.

Julskey wrote:
G73 is is not supported for windows 10 upgrade according to asus website. My old G74sx is not supported neither so I'm sticking with Win7.

"not supported" doesn't means that win10 won't work with fully equipped drivers ( i.e that nothing will be missing in the device manager )
it's just that ASUS - won't get any complains about win10 for that model, nor plan to release any own drivers for win10 for that model.

let me say - that I'd upgrade many older laptops then your G73 ( some even had Pentium Core 1st generation! ).
At first not all the drivers where there... but installing origional manufacturer ( like realtek for audio, intel INF for chipset etc... ) driver's on these win10 machines - worked without any problem.
even so, win10 comes with larger pool of drivers then win8 or 7.... - so statistically speaking - win10 have more chance of working on old laptops then win7 have.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

And then there's that. So maybe my g74sx can have win10 after all. Thanks.

Gps3dx wrote:

let me say - that I'd upgrade many older laptops then your G73 ( some even had Pentium Core 1st generation! ).
At first not all the drivers where there... but installing origional manufacturer ( like realtek for audio, intel INF for chipset etc... ) driver's on these win10 machines - worked without any problem.
even so, win10 comes with larger pool of drivers then win8 or 7.... - so statistically speaking - win10 have more chance of working on old laptops then win7 have.

Really? I'm surprised of that because I can't install Win 8/10 on my PC. The installation package tell me at first that my CPU is too old and not supported due to the lacks of added security instruction sets. I am running an AMD 64 FX-60 dual core socket 939. It was the most powerful CPU in 2006 ;-). Maybe INTEL chips are better supported than AMD.