cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Fan Control - optimal settings for 4790(K) / 4460and others

Paul_Jandali
Level 7
Hi there !

I´ve put a 4790K into my G20AJ, downclocked to 4Ghz, undervolted ~ -70mV, which seems to be stable.
(Turbo Boost Short disabled)
(Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

I´ve xperimented a lot with the Q-Fan Control settings in BIOS. Here are my actual values (for both fans):

20C -- 15%
55C -- 30%
70C -- 70%

As a result fan speed is about 27% in regular working mode, packaging temp somewhere at 50C quiet stable.
Starting a download meanwhile results in ~ 10-15% CPU Load and leads to ~ 30-35% fan speed on 55-60C, which is acceptable for some time here and there.
Stress testing leads to stable ~70C at 67-70% fan speed.

Well, for now it is the best I can find. But I would be interested in your settings especially on the 4790 / K but also any other CPU for the others here. When I got my unit with a 4460 the fan settings had been horrible in comparison.... The last settings I had with the 4460 were:
30C -- 10%
55C -- 25%
70C -- 40%

That was quiet nice for regular working but I had not finished testing on high cpu load, also not undervolted. Maybe you want to try it out. I finished with the 4460. (btw selling mine, if you are interested, let me know)
15 REPLIES 15

a100
Level 8
Have you felt any performance changes by upgrading to 4790K on G20?

Yes, a lot lot lot. It was worth it 100%, an least for me.

AC Unity got a very nice boost, the 4460 limited gpu power.

a100
Level 8
Hmm so we can overclock CPU on G20 after all.

Could you plz write a detailed way of doing it, I have 0 experience in overclocking cpu`s.

How you did it? which software? and .. tnx

Paul_Jandali
Level 7
Oh I don´t overclock, just undervolt.

Paul.Jandali wrote:
Oh I don´t overclock, just undervolt.

Hi Paul,
How did you do undervolt in G20 bios?

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

BIOS does not offer ANY CPU / RAM modifications at all.

Gotallofthem
Level 7
Paul.Jandali wrote:
Hi there !

I´ve put a 4790K into my G20AJ, downclocked to 4Ghz, undervolted ~ -70mV, which seems to be stable.
(Turbo Boost Short disabled)
(Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

I´ve xperimented a lot with the Q-Fan Control settings in BIOS. Here are my actual values (for both fans):

20C -- 15%
55C -- 30%
70C -- 70%

As a result fan speed is about 27% in regular working mode, packaging temp somewhere at 50C quiet stable.
Starting a download meanwhile results in ~ 10-15% CPU Load and leads to ~ 30-35% fan speed on 55-60C, which is acceptable for some time here and there.
Stress testing leads to stable ~70C at 67-70% fan speed.

Well, for now it is the best I can find. But I would be interested in your settings especially on the 4790 / K but also any other CPU for the others here. When I got my unit with a 4460 the fan settings had been horrible in comparison.... The last settings I had with the 4460 were:
30C -- 10%
55C -- 25%
70C -- 40%

That was quiet nice for regular working but I had not finished testing on high cpu load, also not undervolted. Maybe you want to try it out. I finished with the 4460. (btw selling mine, if you are interested, let me know)

How did you manually does this in the BIOS? I was just in there and didn't see any option, while I did see a FAN section to monitor and below it a couple of other options, none where for selecting different temps and speed as far as I could tell. I have the i5 with the 760 dont know if that makes a difference.

Gotallofthem wrote:
How did you manually does this in the BIOS? I was just in there and didn't see any option, while I did see a FAN section to monitor and below it a couple of other options, none where for selecting different temps and speed as far as I could tell. I have the i5 with the 760 dont know if that makes a difference.

On top of the monitor tab you will find an option to check optimal fan speeds or something like that.
Run it and afterwards Q-Fan Control will grant access to those (mentioned) values.

a100
Level 8
Whats that undervolting for? whats the effect?

Sorry I`m completely lost in CPU tuning.