cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions before buying G752vy-gc263t

Aldaraad
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I want to upgrade my old laptop, and got quite a few recommendations for the Asus ROG product lineup.

Yes, I know they are expensive.
Yes, I know they are heavy and bulky.
Yes, I know it's a bit of an overkill...BUT...

...it is strong enough to do 3D modelling (photogrammetry etc.)
...it is strong enough to last for some time.
...it is a good gaming machine.
...it is a solid machine - for everything.

My questions and doubts - if someone knows the answer. I currently use an HP laptop with switchable graphics option (Intel 3000 + Radeon HD 7690XT 2GB) which DOES NOT work as it should and my (stronger) GPU does not work at all. Even with the BIOS setting (fixed/dynamic), it makes the system stall. Good drivers, eh, HP?

Anyway...I plan to buy the new ROG line laptop (6th gen Intel CPU, 16GB DDR4, GTX980M w 8GB DDR5, SSD+HDD) - which sounds quite nice - on paper. Nevertheless, I've seen a couple of bad reviews from everyday users (who bought the VL or VT versions). Every other (sponsored?) review praised the laptop to heaven - as expected

My questions/issues before buying:

1. nVidia Optimus technology stinks like the "switchable graphics options" - why implement that on a GAMING laptop?
2. is it possible to disable and/or bypass the Intel GPU and use the GTX only (from BIOS, within the OS)?
3. did anyone have any experience with the aforementioned issue?
4. is the juice worth the squeeze?
5. any thoughts on the GTX 980m w 8GB?

Thank you for the help and for your time!

Pavle, Zagreb, Croatia
14 REPLIES 14

Tidbits
Level 9
1. From what I have seen from my VT there is no switchable graphics or optimus technology
2. See number 1
3. See number 1
4. I am enjoying my laptop even though I got the 970M model.
5. I would have gotten the 980M but I needed a laptop quickly and didn't want to wait the extra few weeks before they were being sold.

If there is Optimus being run then I don't notice it.

That is why I am wondering - because a few retailers noted on their site:

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980M 8 GB inklusive Optimus (Intel HD Graphics 530)

...which puzzled me a lot, so it is better to ask at the source than to rush into the unknown.

Tidbits
Level 9
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81406-G752VT-Integrated-Graphics-Card-Missing

another thread of a person who wished it was there and not missing.

fiido
Level 7
Aldaraad wrote:

1. nVidia Optimus technology stinks like the "switchable graphics options" - why implement that on a GAMING laptop?
2. is it possible to disable and/or bypass the Intel GPU and use the GTX only (from BIOS, within the OS)?
3. did anyone have any experience with the aforementioned issue?
4. is the juice worth the squeeze?
5. any thoughts on the GTX 980m w 8GB?

1. For any laptop, having optimus allows non-gaming tasks with much better battery. such as watching movie, webpages, netflix & chill.
2. this applies for optimus.. you can do it per application basis or always when in gaming. Why would you want to run GTX when running websites?
3. none that I've seen.
4. huh?
5. I'm sure 8GB would be better than 4GB when running 4k Textures (ultra-HQ textures) but most often, the bottleneck is not with the graphic memory.

Tidbits wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81406-G752VT-Integrated-Graphics-Card-Missing

another thread of a person who wished it was there and not missing.

Yup, saw it and ... I don't see the problem there. 😄

fiido wrote:
1. For any laptop, having optimus allows non-gaming tasks with much better battery. such as watching movie, webpages, netflix & chill.
2. this applies for optimus.. you can do it per application basis or always when in gaming. Why would you want to run GTX when running websites?
3. none that I've seen.
4. huh?
5. I'm sure 8GB would be better than 4GB when running 4k Textures (ultra-HQ textures) but most often, the bottleneck is not with the graphic memory.

Well...

1. If one buys a hard-core gaming laptop which draws a lot of power in order to provide the best performance, battery is not an issue. I have my laptop on power anyway, and used it maybe 5% on battery in the last 3 years...sapienti sat. 😄
2. I get your point but ... as I said before - the technology is perfect IF it works as it SHOULD in practice. And I have baaaad experiences with switchable graphics option.
3. Good to know. A previous reply also stated that the ROG series have the Intel GPU disabled by default so ...
4. 🙂
5. Thinking long-term, 8 GB should last.

Thank you for your replies!

MrRuckus
Level 10
Asus normally keeps Optimus out of their top of the line Laptops because they know people buying the laptop are looking for performance and will most likely never be gaming on battery. 960m/970m may be ok on battery, but the 980m is just too much strain on the battery and it wont last very long anyway. These are solid desktop replacements and should be plugged in when using anything that will tax the video card, whether that be games or 3D Modeling, ect.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Me again.

Found several German web sites with the aforementioned laptop on sale (still in presale and preorder) and ... where is the catch?
The price on every site revolves around 2.099,00 Euros, which is, in my opinion, a bargain, considering the VY components inside. Still, I am always cautious when making an online purchase.

The component setup is astonishing for that price:
17.3" non-glare, IPS (1920x1080), Intel Core i7-6700HQ 4x2.60GHz, 16384MB DDR4, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Blu-ray (BD-ROM), DVD+/-RW DL, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M, 8GB, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, Windows 10 Home 64bit

So...where's the catch? What does the code behind the G752VY usually depict?

Thank you for your time and feedback.

toronto699
Level 13
every country or international region has a different code G752-VY-XXXXXX
In Canada its something like this G752-VY-CAXXXX or G752-VY-XXXXCA
and G752VY-gc263t have the same specs as some G752 that are available in Canada