cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two different GPUs.1forPhyxs

triangle
Level 7
I am ignorant in this matter can I have two different gpus installed at same time on this motherboard of mine:
MOBO:Crosshair V Formula Z:
CPU:AMD FX-9590
PSU:1200 watts.

I have a BFG Nvidia GeForce 285 GTX. I want my other card which is not installed in mother board yet (EVGA Nvidia 640 GT) to by strictly Pshyx only. Will I be able to have both of them function and both drivers installed at the same time and will my Nvidia Control panel as well in device manager read both GPUS and will nvida control panel give me the option to make my 640 Pyshx?? Please any advice/input is needed. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
The GTX285 and GT640 appear to score very closely in overall performance, the GTX285 appears to be slightly better although a factory-overclock on either of those cards would likely put it ahead of the other. Your FX-9590 proc and CFVZ mobo have no integrated graphics.

Yes, it can be done. Just plug your GTX285 in the primary GPU slot and the GT640 into any other GPU slot, do not link them with an SLI bridge, tweak your BIOS PCIe lane settings if needed to POST and boot, and configure a PhysX card in the GeForce options.

But you have the fastest-clocked AMD CPU on market (indeed, even faster than Intel's fastest processor offering) and the mightiest motherboard it could run on. I really think you'd do a whole lot better investing in a better GPU card than trying to get your old ones working together, your elderly GPUs are a huge gaming performance bottleneck. I see GTX660Ti/GTX750 and HD7970/R9-270X cards go for less than $50 on my local craigslist. And, even when optimally configured, you'll only enjoy noticeable PhysX gains on a handful of older titles.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

triangle
Level 7
Korth I own the Geforce GT 630 not the Geforce GT 640. Will the 630 still work correctly as a PhysX card along side my 285. I plan on buying two Nvida 980 GTX's next year. I just want the GTX285 to get me by till then and if I can get the GT 630 to run on my motherboard as well that would be nice. Although I will need help in the bios about tweaking my BIOS PCIe lane settings if needed to POST and boot, and configure a PhysX card in the Geforce options. Right now I only know one way to activated PhysX and that is though Nvidia Control panel.

Korth
Level 14
The GTX285 and GT630 (and GT640) support PhysX. Just install the PhysX software, if it isn't already part of your NVidia/GeForce driver software.

Dedicated PhysX tends to work best if the cards have comparable capabilities - a mighty GPU paired with a wimpy PhysX will end up slowing a lot while it waits for PhysX computes, a mighty PhysX paired with a wimpy GPU will cause fps stutters whenever the GPU needs to do a lot of render. Specs for your cards seem pretty close, but if they're too mismatched you might gain more by just allowing the better card (GTX285) shoulder the whole load and do its own PhysX chores.

I don't foresee any real problems, just try it out and see if the BIOS autoconfigures for you. If not, somebody here can instruct you about which settings need tweaking.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

triangle
Level 7
I am thinking of buying two "SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon R9 390X" and cross firing them in my motherboard. I am aware that AMD gpu's do not do "Physx" so my question is this.
Would I be able to use my GTX285 as my physx card while I have two AMD "SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon R9 390X" cross fired running at same time?? Any input is appreciated.

Korth
Level 14
There are third-party hacks which support PhysX with AMD GPUs, at least on some games. None of them are perfect.

You'll probably be forced to experiment with and tweak forced PhysX on your particular hardware and compare performances on your particular games. It might make a difference, it might not be worth the effort.

[/Korth]

triangle
Level 7
Another option I seen recently is the "Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390" gpu. Curious would I be able to crossfire two "Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390?"
Current Build again:
MOBO:Crosshair V Formula Z:
CPU:AMD FX-9590
PSU:1200 watts.
RAM: 32 GB.