CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 Modular
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240
    Mouse Pad Swiftpoint The Z Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Logitech Surround Z506
    OS Windows 10 Pro, version 1703
    Network RouterAsus RT N66U

Lightbulb Best order to install drivers/bios?

Hey,

I have my Hero Alpha coming in tomorrow. I went through the other Hero8 with audio issues. Asus avoided to help me as they admitted to know about the issues that many have had with the audio.

To further myself in avoiding any issues at ALL COSTS, is there a suggested order of drivers/bios/software to be installed? Never had an issue with this before, but I want to avoid any issues. I also ran into Q Code 00 after installing AI Suite on the Hero8, with infinite shut down.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

1. Chipset
    2. ME driver
    3. GPU & Audio

Chipset & ME driver from the ASUS support site, not from the mobo CD.

Lesson learned, do not install Al Suite.

No audio issues whatsoever with my Hero VIII on bios 1202.
    Last edited by NemesisChild; 12-23-2015 at 03:51 AM.
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Vinny1001 PC Specs
    Vinny1001 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    ProcessorIntel Skylake 6700k 4.0GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 2x 8GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX 1080 Ti
    MonitorBenQ XL2411
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro, 840 Pro, M.2 840 Evo
    Storage #22x 1TB WD Black
    CPU CoolerCorsair H60
    CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    1. Chipset
    2. ME driver
    3. GPU & Audio

Chipset & ME driver from the ASUS support site, not from the mobo CD.

Lesson learned, do not install Al Suite.

No audio issues whatsoever with my Hero VIII on bios 1202.
    That's the order I've always done it, and I always use the drivers straight from the ASUS support site. Thank you NemesisChild.

Hmmm. I see some people don't have any issues with AI suite though? So it's tempting to install it and see if it screws my system over (even was screwed after fully uninstalling AI suite). I'll stay away from it for now.

I'm using 5.1 external speakers that fully work on my previous Ivy Bridge build/Asus mobo, so not sure why I get audio issues from the Z170 Hero8.

To briefly mention my audio issue, anytime an audio channel opens (see in Volume Mixer >right click the speaker icon, then click open volume mixer) it introduces it either with a static pop or a thump, or cuts out the first split second of whatever audio plays. Even opening programs such as steam, opens an audio channel without playing audio, and it creates a static thump.

If I keep audio channels open, such as having a youtube video up paused, or windows media player paused, then all sounds work perfectly fine.

From what many have told me, it has to do with how the CPU has low power at idle, but when it needs power it spikes up in CPU usage from being low (Power management issues). Or something along those lines.

Windows default audio drivers work perfectly fine, PSU is tested, also tested previous build PSU, tried another brand PSU, using Z170 ram, have tried 3 sets of ram, single, dual channel, tried each slot. I've went through 2 CPU's (both worked the same), no bent pins, tested everything without the GPU in, I've reseated multiple times, reinstalled Win7 many times. HD's work on previous build fully functional, have tried realtek R2.79 driver, same thing. have tried many versions of BIOS, bench tested entire system, took away all interference, left front panel cables unpluggedetc etc, pretty sure I've tried most ideas
    Any idea? If so, please let me know and I can create a new thread, which I'm thinking I should do, but will post tomorrow after my Alpha build.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Vinny1001; 12-23-2015 at 04:26 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny1001 View Post
    Hey,

I have my Hero Alpha coming in tomorrow. I went through the other Hero8 with audio issues. Asus avoided to help me as they admitted to know about the issues that many have had with the audio.

To further myself in avoiding any issues at ALL COSTS, is there a suggested order of drivers/bios/software to be installed? Never had an issue with this before, but I want to avoid any issues. I also ran into Q Code 00 after installing AI Suite on the Hero8, with infinite shut down.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Regarding BIOS, I wouldn't touch it unless you're experiencing system instability with your current BIOS. As far as drivers go, there is no specific method to install them. Just make sure there are no unknown devices leftover. You'll get mixed opinions on AI Suite. Some like it, other's don't.

If you suspect the audio issue is related to the CPU spiking up, try running a High Performance power plan or disabling Intel Speedstep to see if it makes any difference.

Vinny1001 PC Specs
    MonitorBenQ XL2411
    CPU CoolerCorsair H60
    CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Regarding BIOS, I wouldn't touch it unless you're experiencing system instability with your current BIOS. As far as drivers go, there is no specific method to install them. Just make sure there are no unknown devices leftover. You'll get mixed opinions on AI Suite. Some like it, other's don't.

If you suspect the audio issue is related to the CPU spiking up, try running a High Performance power plan or disabling Intel Speedstep to see if it makes any difference.
    Well, the Alpha performed fine until... well, alright so..

Everything installed, all drivers except realtek/audio, BIOS left at stock, alright so it seemed ok. I know with windows audio drivers, I get no audio issues, further proving my hardware isn't faulty. As soon as I install the realtek drivers from the Asus site, my fans started being extremely loud, fast and slow, even at idle on desktop. The same audio issues I have been having appeared yet again, yet on another brand I didn't have the audio issues with realtek but different software. I then furthered to want to have my system a bit more stable, so I got the latest BIOS for the alpha

I had the bios file by itself on a flash drive, and did it through the EZ flash.

The bios updated, then my system restart, on boot it then said to not turn off the system, it's updating the BIOS, in white text,

5 seconds after that, it restarts itself, and as it's back on, Q Code 00. I had no choice but to shut it down after 10 minutes making sure it wasn't "updating the bios"

Just like the Asus M8 I had before, Q Code 00 after what it appears updating the BIOS. My samsung M.2 seems to work fine, it worked perfectly fine before i touched the BIOS.

So what the heck? My bios says the version is the newest, yet, why didn't it update properly?

So now I'm still stuck with audio issues, and the BIOS had a rough update. The system also cranks the fans up waaaaay to fast at idle, and the CPU usage is below 5%, or randomly jumps up to 25%

I will try to disable speedstep soon, but I don't see why I should have to, for a basic feature (audio) to work... it should just work already. Then I lose out on speedstep if that's the case.

Sigh... problematic Z170 Asus boards. I've had representatives admit to me about the issues, so Asus, why isn't anything being done?

Thanks for any further help though, I hope nothing is seriously wrong.
    Last edited by Vinny1001; 12-24-2015 at 03:31 AM.

Vinny1001 PC Specs
    MonitorBenQ XL2411
    CPU CoolerCorsair H60
    CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Can you indicate which version of the ASUS audio driver you're using?
    Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7629(SonicSuite V2.2.16)

I have used 2.79 from Realtek, directly, and I have also used the prior versions of the audio drivers provided by Asus on both the M8 Hero and the current Hero Alpha. I also have tried leaving just the realtek drivers installed, and uninstalled the Sonic Suite, I've tried all settings in Sonic Suite too.

No audio issues with windows default audio drivers. I have also tried muting any audio devices that I'm not using.
    Last edited by Vinny1001; 12-24-2015 at 06:38 AM.