cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best order to install drivers/bios?

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hey,

I have my Hero Alpha coming in tomorrow. I went through the other Hero8 with audio issues. Asus avoided to help me as they admitted to know about the issues that many have had with the audio.

To further myself in avoiding any issues at ALL COSTS, is there a suggested order of drivers/bios/software to be installed? Never had an issue with this before, but I want to avoid any issues. I also ran into Q Code 00 after installing AI Suite on the Hero8, with infinite shut down.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
6 REPLIES 6

NemesisChild
Level 12
1. Chipset
2. ME driver
3. GPU & Audio

Chipset & ME driver from the ASUS support site, not from the mobo CD.

Lesson learned, do not install Al Suite.

No audio issues whatsoever with my Hero VIII on bios 1202.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
1. Chipset
2. ME driver
3. GPU & Audio

Chipset & ME driver from the ASUS support site, not from the mobo CD.

Lesson learned, do not install Al Suite.

No audio issues whatsoever with my Hero VIII on bios 1202.

That's the order I've always done it, and I always use the drivers straight from the ASUS support site. Thank you NemesisChild.

Hmmm. I see some people don't have any issues with AI suite though? So it's tempting to install it and see if it screws my system over (even was screwed after fully uninstalling AI suite). I'll stay away from it for now.

I'm using 5.1 external speakers that fully work on my previous Ivy Bridge build/Asus mobo, so not sure why I get audio issues from the Z170 Hero8.

To briefly mention my audio issue, anytime an audio channel opens (see in Volume Mixer >right click the speaker icon, then click open volume mixer) it introduces it either with a static pop or a thump, or cuts out the first split second of whatever audio plays. Even opening programs such as steam, opens an audio channel without playing audio, and it creates a static thump.

If I keep audio channels open, such as having a youtube video up paused, or windows media player paused, then all sounds work perfectly fine.

From what many have told me, it has to do with how the CPU has low power at idle, but when it needs power it spikes up in CPU usage from being low (Power management issues). Or something along those lines.

Windows default audio drivers work perfectly fine, PSU is tested, also tested previous build PSU, tried another brand PSU, using Z170 ram, have tried 3 sets of ram, single, dual channel, tried each slot. I've went through 2 CPU's (both worked the same), no bent pins, tested everything without the GPU in, I've reseated multiple times, reinstalled Win7 many times. HD's work on previous build fully functional, have tried realtek R2.79 driver, same thing. have tried many versions of BIOS, bench tested entire system, took away all interference, left front panel cables unpluggedetc etc, pretty sure I've tried most ideas
Any idea? If so, please let me know and I can create a new thread, which I'm thinking I should do, but will post tomorrow after my Alpha build.

Thanks!!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Chino
Level 15
Vinny1001 wrote:
Hey,

I have my Hero Alpha coming in tomorrow. I went through the other Hero8 with audio issues. Asus avoided to help me as they admitted to know about the issues that many have had with the audio.

To further myself in avoiding any issues at ALL COSTS, is there a suggested order of drivers/bios/software to be installed? Never had an issue with this before, but I want to avoid any issues. I also ran into Q Code 00 after installing AI Suite on the Hero8, with infinite shut down.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regarding BIOS, I wouldn't touch it unless you're experiencing system instability with your current BIOS. As far as drivers go, there is no specific method to install them. Just make sure there are no unknown devices leftover. You'll get mixed opinions on AI Suite. Some like it, other's don't.

If you suspect the audio issue is related to the CPU spiking up, try running a High Performance power plan or disabling Intel Speedstep to see if it makes any difference.

Chino wrote:
Regarding BIOS, I wouldn't touch it unless you're experiencing system instability with your current BIOS. As far as drivers go, there is no specific method to install them. Just make sure there are no unknown devices leftover. You'll get mixed opinions on AI Suite. Some like it, other's don't.

If you suspect the audio issue is related to the CPU spiking up, try running a High Performance power plan or disabling Intel Speedstep to see if it makes any difference.

Well, the Alpha performed fine until... well, alright so..

Everything installed, all drivers except realtek/audio, BIOS left at stock, alright so it seemed ok. I know with windows audio drivers, I get no audio issues, further proving my hardware isn't faulty. As soon as I install the realtek drivers from the Asus site, my fans started being extremely loud, fast and slow, even at idle on desktop. The same audio issues I have been having appeared yet again, yet on another brand I didn't have the audio issues with realtek but different software. I then furthered to want to have my system a bit more stable, so I got the latest BIOS for the alpha

I had the bios file by itself on a flash drive, and did it through the EZ flash.

The bios updated, then my system restart, on boot it then said to not turn off the system, it's updating the BIOS, in white text,

5 seconds after that, it restarts itself, and as it's back on, Q Code 00. I had no choice but to shut it down after 10 minutes making sure it wasn't "updating the bios"

Just like the Asus M8 I had before, Q Code 00 after what it appears updating the BIOS. My samsung M.2 seems to work fine, it worked perfectly fine before i touched the BIOS.

So what the heck? My bios says the version is the newest, yet, why didn't it update properly?

So now I'm still stuck with audio issues, and the BIOS had a rough update. The system also cranks the fans up waaaaay to fast at idle, and the CPU usage is below 5%, or randomly jumps up to 25%

I will try to disable speedstep soon, but I don't see why I should have to, for a basic feature (audio) to work... it should just work already. Then I lose out on speedstep if that's the case.

Sigh... problematic Z170 Asus boards. I've had representatives admit to me about the issues, so Asus, why isn't anything being done?

Thanks for any further help though, I hope nothing is seriously wrong.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Can you indicate which version of the ASUS audio driver you're using?

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7629(SonicSuite V2.2.16)

I have used 2.79 from Realtek, directly, and I have also used the prior versions of the audio drivers provided by Asus on both the M8 Hero and the current Hero Alpha. I also have tried leaving just the realtek drivers installed, and uninstalled the Sonic Suite, I've tried all settings in Sonic Suite too.

No audio issues with windows default audio drivers. I have also tried muting any audio devices that I'm not using.