cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Impact model, fans are doing my nut in, help ?

the_wee_man
Level 8
since my system was built the other day there is either one fan or a couple revving up and down slightly even when I look at different web pages and things like that, I understand that brighter V darker screens will draw more power rtc and could in theory be the reason why its happening because of the fan sensors.

Thing is, its slightly annoying, just going from page to page browsing the web and its revving up and down literally every page for page man, even while I am maybe sitting here reading a web page I can hear it slightly nudging the fan rpm's up and down sometimes, its not too bad but its just rather annoying thats all.

I have had a look in the bios and to me the fan settings are just too much, I cant figure the settings out at all.

Its one fan on a sealed loop Rad at the back of machine and two intakes on the front, apart from that I think its just the graphics card but I heard those graphics cards are next to silent (nvidia gtx 750ti cs).

I would really appreciate if someone could just give me a quick simple step by step guide to sort this out please thanks ?

EDIT: I am sure the one doing it is the CPU/RAD one i think, sounds like it to me.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15

Raja
Level 13

ChrizDoe
Level 7
I still dont understand how the fan step up and step down options work, could someone explain them to me?

the_wee_man
Level 8
me either, I don't have a clue about it 😞

Chino
Level 15
Both concepts are explained in the guide.

CPU FAN Step Up & CPU Fan Step Down: These two functions allow us delay fan response in relation to temperature changes. Setting a delay spin up or spin down reaction can be useful in situations where software loading changes rapidly. Setting a delay for spin up and spin down prevents rapid fan speed changes which can be acoustically annoying.

Chino wrote:
Both concepts are explained in the guide.

yeah i just dont think its explained very well, would like for someone to explain it in their own words to better understand it.

ChrizDoe wrote:
yeah i just dont think its explained very well, would like for someone to explain it in their on words to better understand it.

yeah that's what I was hoping for too rather than that complicated guide, well that's how I see it anyway, I only have a cpu fan and I think either 2 or 3 case fans, I just simply want them to run quiet when the machine is doing nothing much and then they can speed up if the machine is under load, I don't want anything special.

the wee man wrote:
yeah that's what I was hoping for too rather than that complicated guide, well that's how I see it anyway, I only have a cpu fan and I think either 2 or 3 case fans, I just simply want them to run quiet when the machine is doing nothing much and then they can speed up if the machine is under load, I don't want anything special.

You are able to do that.

You have two options, firstly in the bios (which I would recommend) or secondly using software in Windows (A.I suite)

You basically set a custom fan curve (or there are preset fan curves for silence, performance etc).

So in other words to put it simply you can control how quick the fan spins at certain temperatures, for example once your CPUs hits 50 degrees centigrade, you could have the fans spin at 100% if you were that way inclined, or you could have them at 60%. You can literally control the fan speed at every temperature.

Alternatively you could set the fans so they run at a constant speed. What you need to do is go into the bios, select q fan control, you then select your fan (they're labelled I.e cpu fan, cha fan 1, 2 etc) you then select pwm (if your fan connector is a 4 pin, or dc if your fan connector is 3 pin). You can then experiment with the different fan profiles, or select manual and move the fan curve yourself.

To get into the bios press del when the ROG logo appears, then press f6 to select q fan control.

Lastly with regards to cpu fan step up and step down, as I mentioned the fan curves dictate what speed fans spin at. At certain temperatures however, the cpu temp can change quickly depending on how much load is applied, and then the temp drops down as the load reduces, this then causes the fan speed to go up and down, and can be annoying.

You use the step up and down option to prevent this happening.

Let me give you an example, the fan is set to hit 90% at 50 degrees, and 60% at 30 degrees. Now if you open software, extract a file etc the cpu load increases (and therefore the temp increases) as soon as the load increases the temp to 50 degrees the fan would hit 90% for a few seconds, and then immediately drop down.

However using the step up and down option you could counteract this so the fan speed would stay constant during short loads.