cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install 950 Pro question

bobbagels
Level 7
Hello hello,
I would just like to ask a few questions if I may. I am not as schooled as many here and could use some advice.
I am presently using an XP941 with windows 7 on it. (i also have 2 other HD's for other things)
I have been given a xmas present -950 pro 😄 And I figure now is the time to switch over to windows 10 (its inevetable)
Please, let me know if this is correct procedure .

Unplug all hard drives.
Take out XP941 and install 950 pro
Boot into bios and flash bios to 1701 (not sure if 1801 is better or not) ( Presently on 1401)
re boot set to defaults and M.2 preferance.
re boot and install windows 10 from usb.
Install drivers - updates -Blah blahh blahhh.

I am not sure if I have to set anything special for this type of ssd.
20 REPLIES 20

Hawkstorm
Level 7
This a self Xmas prezzie was it hmmm ?? lol

bobbagels
Level 7
Ha, Nah,
They asked me what I wanted and I just couldnt think of anything else at the moment lol.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
LOL As far as I know its the same install procedure as the 941 there's a guide in the stickys.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Its the same as the 941 just make sure you update your 941 with windows 7 onto it to windows 10 then remove it so you can do a clean install of windows 10 once you install your 950.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Its the same as the 941 just make sure you update your 941 with windows 7 onto it to windows 10 then remove it so you can do a clean install of windows 10 once you install your 950.

I dont think that is necessary.
I contacted microsoft, they checked my existing windows 7 key and authenticated it. They told me I could just install and insert my windows 7 key and 10 would be activated.

bobbagels wrote:
I dont think that is necessary.
I contacted microsoft, they checked my existing windows 7 key and authenticated it. They told me I could just install and insert my windows 7 key and 10 would be activated.

No Windows 10 does not accept Windows 7 or 8 keys as Windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade though your previous Windows install, which is why you should upgrade before, then do a clean install skipping the product key when installing.

Menthol
Level 14
Supposedly the latest update of Win 10 if downloaded from Microsoft will accept a Win 7 - 8.1 key but I haven't tried it myself.
Yes you can install just as you stated above, or if you happen to have a pcie adapter card you could install the 950 boot to the 941, install the 950 nvme driver, then use Samsung's migration software to migrate your OS and all installed software to the 950
I believe any bios 1302 and above are Nvme compatible, I personally am using 1502 as my system seems rock solid with this bios

bobbagels
Level 7
Well, I called Microsoft and they checked my key from Windows 7. Authenticated it and told me I could just insert that key in any ISO I get that was released after Novembers release and the Os will be activated.

Question,
Do I have to install the 950 nvme driver from samsung? I thought Windows 10 has this ?

Minsekt
Level 7
ill get 200mb/s more with the samsung nvme driver... so i guess yes