cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme, 3770K @ 4.9Ghz, 1.480 Cpu Volt.. Safe?

MeTaL_SnAkE
Level 7
Hello, I have a question, Does it safe for the long term?

I'm using since few days ago this setup stable - Maximus V Extreme, 3770K @ 4.9Ghz, 1.480 Cpu Volt.. Safe?

Edit: Forgot to mention that i'm also running:
3 graphics cards of Gtx 670 in SLI ofcourse,
G.Skill 1600Mhz 16GB.
PSU: Seasonic 1050W.

Heard and seen around the internet that this high voltage can fry my chip in the long-tem, But even with that high voltage,

My CPU Max temp on heavy load is something like 67-68 Celcius... Usually its between 59-63. i've done a lot of benching.

On idle the temps are 28-32 celcius.

I'm using some real good cooling such as the best thermal liquid metal - 'Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra' (Plus under the chip hood with De-lidding the CPU). And the cooler is Noctua Nh-D14.

So what do you say.. Possible and fine for the long term? or does it can fry the chip anyway even if i'm on max 61 celcius which is not bad at all.... Thanks.

Another Edit: If it's ok, Then will it be a problem to run 5 Ghz at 1.50 or more voltage?
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hello Metal Snake

1.48 is perfectly fine, your temps are good so no problem there. Intel says max voltage for our cpu's is 1.52v.

Here's my 3770k click the pic a few times so you can read it.

My 3770k is not delidded

Vlada011
Level 10
For me that is little higher voltage. I don't like to go over 1.300-1.350V but Ivy is very good on higher temps and little higher voltage.
Temps need to be close to 100C to start to make problems. Under 95C work without problems.
I'm not completely sure but I think that higher voltage even with lower temps could cause degradation and CPU will need more and more voltage for some clock. In that case only chance is to drop clock for 300MHz and hope to degradation stop. Example from 4.9 to 4.5GHz.
I was very happy with Z77 platform and today I think that Ivy is best from Sandy and Haswell mixed.
Not so good overclocker as Sandy, but not much worse and better on higher temps, but have more important improvements than 200MHz clock.
Native controllers, 200-300MHz better IMC are more important than average 200MHz lower OC capability than Sandy Bridge.
Thermal paste is minus.

I'm really sorry now because I missed that Maximus V Extreme.
That was very nice and stable motherboard and most owners are completely satisfied.
Sometimes I even check marketplace in my country if some used show up cheap to build backup computer.
I have everything other and i7-3770K 4.8GHz, only I want ROG Z77 Motherboard.
Even Maximus V Gene could serve good. But for now I didn't saw nothing near me on marketplace for normal price.
Not 50 euro cheaper than VIII series.

Ok thank you both, So from what i've understand, it dosent matters how much voltage I put, Whats matters is how high the temps are...
Good to know. I already kind of knew that, Just wanted to make sure. (Besides what Vlada wrote that the cpu can downgrade the mhz over time, I agree with that).
So I guess I'll try to see if 1.520 voltage can get me to kind of stable 5Ghz.. I dubot that.. My chip is kinda weak it seems ^^ But, Also decent.

I almost forgot, Another question - You guys tried to put the CPU perforemence on 150% at the Bios settings? It seems like my CPU will be stable only at 140%.. Whats the case with you guys?

Edit: By the way Vlada, I suggest you to check constantly on Ebay offers for Maximus V motherboards, I got my Extreme motherboard a month ago (second hand ofcourse) for 200$ only and everything seems to work perfect (only missing mPCIe combo which I don't need but comes with everything else).. Before that I had the P8Z77-V motherboard and the reason I've switched to Maximus V Extreme is because I needed to do 3-way Sli for my GTX 670.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
I run mine at 140 % , those are some good temps at 1.480v . I have my 3770k at 4.8 1.375v , im good with that .

Ok i'm running 5Ghz under 1.56-1.57 Voltage (On maximum manual voltage the CPU allows - 1.520).. Still dosent matters as long as the temps are good right? ^^ I'm a little nervous...

Edit: Ok it seems like it dosent matters since the game 'The Witcher 3' is constantly crashing under these values.. So looks like my chip can take only 4.9 in-order to be stable..
Or.. You guys can suggest me what to change on Bios settings in-order to try keep it stable.. on Digi + settings everything is set to Extreme except T.Probe value + 140% CPU perforemence (on 150% cpu it just crashes)..
Lowerd the value of ram Mhz from 1600 to 1333..
Disabled CPU spread spectrum..
Anything else?

Nate152
Well if you have to go that high with the voltage for 5.0GHz it seems your cpu hit the wall or I a little weaker as you say, it would be better to run with 4.9Ghz. If you take the voltage up around 1.70v - 1.80v - 1.90v you will have a dead cpu instantly so don't take it any higher than 1.60v and even that is too high.

You can try Load Line Calibration in DIGI+ to HIGH this is 50%. Enable PLL overvoltage voltage or whatever it's called on the extreme tweaker tab, disable all power saving features. Enable extreme tweaking and super pi booster although I've read these just help with benchmark scores.

Not all cpu's are created equal so some will need more voltage and some will need less for the same speed. 16GB of 1600MHz ram shouldn't affect your overclock, enable X.M.P. and away you go.

If witcher 3 is crashing then try with 4.9GHz and raise the voltage until it no longer crashes. My cpu is game stable with the games I play but probably wouldn't pass a stress test.

Nate152 wrote:
Well if you have to go that high with the voltage for 5.0GHz it seems your cpu hit the wall or I a little weaker as you say, it would be better to run with 4.9Ghz. If you take the voltage up around 1.70v - 1.80v - 1.90v you will have a dead cpu instantly so don't take it any higher than 1.60v and even that is too high.

You can try Load Line Calibration in DIGI+ to HIGH this is 50%. Enable PLL overvoltage voltage or whatever it's called on the extreme tweaker tab, disable all power saving features. Enable extreme tweaking and super pi booster although I've read these just help with benchmark scores.

Not all cpu's are created equal so some will need more voltage and some will need less for the same speed. 16GB of 1600MHz ram shouldn't affect your overclock, enable X.M.P. and away you go.

If witcher 3 is crashing then try with 4.9GHz and raise the voltage until it no longer crashes. My cpu is game stable with the games I play but probably wouldn't pass a stress test.

That's what I did with Witcher 3, I've raised voltages until 4.9Ghz was stable.

By the way, I cant get to 1.60 voltage because the bios wont let me and will write after restart "Overclock failed, CPU over voltage".
Maximum voltage I can put is 1.520 . Anything higher than that it wont let me continoue. How can I let it go further than 1.520 ?

I've changed the value of "CPU Fixed Frequency" from Auto to 500, That seems to help a little, But withcer 3 still crashes after some time and not instantly like before.. I was able to play 2-3 minutes before crash, not as happend before ^^.
So it seems like there might be still some values I can change in-order to stable it.. maybe I've used all of them already..
Does disabling Hyper-thread will help? (will reduce some perforemences probably, But can it help the CPU stable?)..

Nate152
Yeah disabling hyperthreading can help but I wouldn't recommend it., the witcher three probably uses 4 cores/8 threads.

You can take the voltage past 1.52v but it's risky and for an extra 100MHz it's not worth it but if you want to I'll tell you how. Just be aware you're doing this at your own risk and I in no way shape or form take responsibility for you damaging or frying your cpu. I fried my first 3770k with 1.80v+ and some might die before that.

To get past 1.52v, enable over voltage (I think that's what it's called) on the extreme tweaker tab, then on the monitoring tab set the cpu voltage to ignore.

It's risky and I will suggest sticking with 4.9GHz.