cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice regarding a "minor" issue with Maximus VIII Gene

OCD_guy
Level 9
Hi guys I'm hoping someone will be able to assist me .

I have a Maximus VIII Gene motherboard running a 6700k and 32gb of Dominator ram. I've recently installed Windows 10 and for some reason Windows is showing total installed physical memory as 31.9gb (right click my PC and go into properties)

Now I'm aware that it is common to have system reserved memory, however in those cases it would show total physical installed memory 32gb (31.9gb usable).

In Windows 8 everything is showing as normal, I.e total physical installed memory 32gb but I'm wondering if there is anything in the bios or in Windows that can change what Windows 10 is reporting?

I'm using a discrete gpu, and the igpu is disabled in the bios. As far as I'm concerned regardless of how much memory is reserved for the system hardware the actual installed physical memory should be the same as there is physically 32gb there. There is then another place that would show how much actual usable memory there is.

Using a different brand motherboard Windows shows everything correctly.

Also one other thing I have recently installed an m.2 Ssd (in addition to my sata Ssd) and now when booting the ROG logo boot loops 3 times, why is it doing this? Before when using an Ssd to sata the ROG logo would show once and then boot into Windows.

Lastly is there anything that should be changed in the bios when using an m.2 Ssd as the main OS drive.

Thanks for any assistance.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello OCD guy

Merry Christmas and welcome to the ROG forum !

It must something with windows 10, my 16GB shows memory usage as 15.9GB and also shows it running at 2400MHz when it's running it at 2800MHz.

You can install ROG CPU-z and click on the memory tab, it will show how much ram is installed.

Hi Nate, appreciat your reply. Merry Christmas to you.

Could you do me a favour and tell me (or show me a screenshot) of what it shows when you right click on my PC and go into properties. Or what it says if you type "system information" in the search bar and then select it. It should show a full list of hardware etc.

Would be much appreciated.

Nate152

Thanks for the quick reply,

Yeah that's exactly what I wanted to see.

On your screenshot it shows installed memory as 16gb. When I had 16gb it would show 15.9gb, and with 32gb it shows 31.9.

What you showed me on your first screenshot of task manger is normal, as it shows you have 16gb installed, but 15.9gb usable as it shows you have 52mb reserved memory (most likely for the bios)

This is what mine showed with 16gb installed:

It's completely weird because it's not reporting the ram correctly. I know some people may think say "it's only 100mb" but I'm. Not bothered about that, it's more the fact that it's bugging me that it's not displaying things correctly.

In my other rigs Windows 10 shows things the same as your PC. Infact I've not come across anyone else that shows anything different on installed memory. Some people might show 16gb (15.9 usable) for example, but they all show the correct installed physical memory.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
It's normal. There's nothing to worry about. Don't let the OCD get the better of you. 😛

Lol my username is defintely appropriate.

Thanks again for the reply, but out of interest do you know why on some hardware Windows reports the full 32gb installed memory, and some it doesn't?

It's not that I don't trust what you're saying, as you're very knowledgable (I've read many of your guides on here) but in my mind if it was normal I was expecting Windows to report ram in the same way on every setup, but using a different brand motherboard it doesn't report the .9 so it shows 32gb.

If I'm honest it's not for the fact of "losing" 100mb but just because I was concerned something was wrong somewhere. I honestly spent hours flashing no different bioses, re-installing Windows several times, scanning through the bios to see if I could find anything obvious that needed to be changed etc.

Just to update this thread.

I noticed a new bios version that released today (1302) so in desperate attempt to fix my OCD I downloaded it and flashed yet another bios lol, but it seems to have done the trick and everything in Windows is reporting as it should be.

I also managed to solve my issue with my m.2 Ssd causing my rig to post twice. I disabled csm in the bios and re-installed Windows 10 using uefi and everything is as it should be.

Thanks to those that replied.