cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[solution] windows doesnt shutdown on maximus boards

Stukow
Level 7
after i got my Maximus Hero 8 Board i had 2-3 stressful weeks because Windows wouldnt shutdown fully and properly the shutdown page with the shutdown message stays until i get a bsod after about 10mins the board is still alive fans rotate lights are up the graphic card is still alive!

so i searched and did much things to solve this problem changed settings in the bios changed ram banks and position plugged in and out usb devices deinstalled programs and many things to find a solution but 99% of the advices also found in here didnt help near to giving up making some last trys i found the solution so here it is.

Some of the Autostart services from Intel probably installed with the drivers from the Asus Mainboard Site cause the problem so we need to deactivate them.

Press the Windows button now in the search bar type msconfig on the window popping up go to servicesand search for the Intel services now deactivate them by unclick the checkmark that is it now your Board should shutdown fully and properly!

[IMG" TARGET="_blank">http://fs5.directupload.net/images/151225/temp/49ib4uty.jpg[/IMG]"]
124 REPLIES 124

Barbara917
Level 7
I have a feeling there isn't a single simple answer to this issue. I was experiencing this yesterday evening after I had finished troubleshooting my BIOS flashback procedure. I tend to not do shutdowns as a matter of habit because historically my PC's have been so slow to start up. My research indicated that it was probably some background service preventing Windows from shutting down. But I tried to recall the most recent applications I had installed that changed the environment of my system. AI Suite was the only thing I had recently installed and I have read a lot of talk on the forums about various problems AI Suite causes.

I uninstalled all of AI Suite and the issue is resolved. I have no idea which element of AI Suite was the culprit in my case. But I am not motivated right now to install it one component at a time to see which application was causing the issue for me.

Barbara917 wrote:
I have a feeling there isn't a single simple answer to this issue. I was experiencing this yesterday evening after I had finished troubleshooting my BIOS flashback procedure. I tend to not do shutdowns as a matter of habit because historically my PC's have been so slow to start up. My research indicated that it was probably some background service preventing Windows from shutting down. But I tried to recall the most recent applications I had installed that changed the environment of my system. AI Suite was the only thing I had recently installed and I have read a lot of talk on the forums about various problems AI Suite causes.

I uninstalled all of AI Suite and the issue is resolved. I have no idea which element of AI Suite was the culprit in my case. But I am not motivated right now to install it one component at a time to see which application was causing the issue for me.

i dont think its caused by AI Suite or other Programs from Asus some of them which i need i didnt deactivate even. actually i dont need the AI Suite so i didnt install and not because of the reason to solve the shutdown problem

but im 100% sure the shutdown problem is caused by the Intel Services because i tested it now for more then 3 weeks and the problem with no shutdown is reproduceable after activate them Intel Services again!

but the easiest way if you still have problems you check if the Intel Services are active and deactivate them all and then check by your own if its solved or not 😉

Barbara917
Level 7
My problem has gone away for now. Maybe it wasn't the same as yours. What I was experiencing is that the screen would go black as if Windows had shutdown, however all my fans continued to run and the motherboard did not power off.

Barbara917 wrote:
My problem has gone away for now. Maybe it wasn't the same as yours. What I was experiencing is that the screen would go black as if Windows had shutdown, however all my fans continued to run and the motherboard did not power off.

my problem was kinda the same like yours (Fans Run Motherboard doesnt power off Graphic Card still on Power Led Lights)

unless then that the screen doesnt go black but you see the windows screen with the text "shutdown" for about 10 mins then comes a Bluescreen of Death

you now have the oportunity to install Asus Ai Suite and deactivate the Intel Services to check the system behavior

on the other side there is another possibilty that while the Installation Progress Asus Ai Suite installs these Intel Services then we have the answer if Ai Suite causes the problem

maybe i try to install the Suite these days and check on my own!

I just did a shutdown to verify that my system is working correctly. It is.

This is the status of my Intel Services in my system.

If I were you I might trying turning those services back on one at a time so that you can narrow down which one might be causing the problem unless your are convinced that they are all to blame. But if you shut them all down at the same time how do you know which one it is?

Barbara917 wrote:
I just did a shutdown to verify that my system is working correctly. It is.

This is the status of my Intel Services in my system.

If I were you I might trying turning those services back on one at a time so that you can narrow down which one might be causing the problem unless your are convinced that they are all to blame. But if you shut them all down at the same time how do you know which one it is?

i did try to do it one by one but it looked like they are all causing the problem but hey it has been 2-3 weeks for me these Services are not active an i didnt have any problems in Windows or Gaming or System Errors so on... You have even more Intel Services then me

i dont see the Intel (R) Technology Access Soft and Intel (R) Technology Access Serv in your list ?

On Summary like i understood from your Postings since you deinstalled Asus Ai Suite you dont have problems with shutdown even with this Services activated is this right?

If so you have the oportunity to install Asus Ai Suite again try to reproduce the shutdown problem if it occurs deactivate at least the Services you saw the Picture i posted and check for the system behaviour after this

And Please do some series of shutdowns too because what i noticed is that the system sometimes shutdown regular and after some other tries not!

Stukow wrote:
i did try to do it one by one but it looked like they are all causing the problem but hey it has been 2-3 weeks for me these Services are not active an i didnt have any problems in Windows or Gaming or System Errors so on... You have even more Intel Services then me

i dont see the Intel (R) Technology Access Soft and Intel (R) Technology Access Serv in your list ?

On Summary like i understood from your Postings since you deinstalled Asus Ai Suite you dont have problems with shutdown even with this Services activated is this right?

If so you have the oportunity to install Asus Ai Suite again try to reproduce the shutdown problem if it occurs deactivate at least the Services you saw the Picture i posted and check for the system behaviour after this

And Please do some series of shutdowns too because what i noticed is that the system sometimes shutdown regular and after some other tries not!

You are right. I do have more and I do not have Intel (R) Technology Access Soft and Intel (R) Technology Access Serv. I have no idea when those services get installed. I did some googling and from the Intel community forums they appear to be related to overclocking so if you do not do overclocking I guess they might not be needed. I have been shutting down my system routinely now when not in use because I am so pleased with its boot time. I do not have any shutdown problems at this time.

I tried installing AI Suite today and the installation restart caused my system to spin its wheels for like 5 minutes. Nothing on my system should take 5 minutes to restart and if it does I don't want it. I did not get any shutdown problems after that but still decided not to keep it installed. I just don't want to carry the overhead if I think it won't be used much.

I will say that when I was having the error that in addition to uninstalling AI Suite I ran CCleaner. There wasn't a lot for it to clean up but it did clean up a few things. Have you tried running CCleaner on your system?

As it stands now my Shutdown procedure works correctly every time with all those Intel Services running.

edit to add: I was optimizing my system startup to make it faster and some of those Intel Services were eliminated when I disabled a startup program named Core with no publisher name? Does anyone know what Core is and who the publisher might be. Is that some Asus software? Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Below is a picture of the only Intel services still running after disabling Core. It is also handy to know that you can disable a lot of this through Task Manager Startup tab.

Barbara917 wrote:
You are right. I do have more and I do not have Intel (R) Technology Access Soft and Intel (R) Technology Access Serv. I have no idea when those services get installed. I did some googling and from the Intel community forums they appear to be related to overclocking so if you do not do overclocking I guess they might not be needed. I have been shutting down my system routinely now when not in use because I am so pleased with its boot time. I do not have any shutdown problems at this time.

I tried installing AI Suite today and the installation restart caused my system to spin its wheels for like 5 minutes. Nothing on my system should take 5 minutes to restart and if it does I don't want it. I did not get any shutdown problems after that but still decided not to keep it installed. I just don't want to carry the overhead if I think it won't be used much.

I will say that when I was having the error that in addition to uninstalling AI Suite I ran CCleaner. There wasn't a lot for it to clean up but it did clean up a few things. Have you tried running CCleaner on your system?

As it stands now my Shutdown procedure works correctly every time with all those Intel Services running.

edit to add: I was optimizing my system startup to make it faster and some of those Intel Services were eliminated when I disabled a startup program named Core with no publisher name? Does anyone know what Core is and who the publisher might be. Is that some Asus software? Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Below is a picture of the only Intel services still running after disabling Core. It is also handy to know that you can disable a lot of this through Task Manager Startup tab.

Im using another similar Program to CCleaner called Glary Utilities and probably did use the cleaning methods then. The Asus Ai Suite i installed the first weeks i got my System then deinstalled it because i wont use it

After my last Post i activated them both Intel (R) Technology Access Soft and Intel (R) Technology Access Serv back and they dont seem to cause them Shutdown problem so i still have 3 of this Intel Services left which one or two or all combined cause the Problem why... like i said i can reproduce this Shutdown problem by activate this 3 Services back

but thats the Software part we discuss about there is still a Hardware part and there is the oportunity that there could be a Hardware Bug like on some former Intel Chipsets or defective Product Series of Boards and so on

like Janne-71 said the Asus Employees should investigate this Shutdown Issues

i will try to find out which of this 3 INTEL EXTREME TUNING... INTEL INTEGRATED CLOCK.. INTEL PROSET... causes the Problem for me

and for the other Users which still have Shutdown problems use this guide and check how it worked for you and please report your experiences here because they are important to find the reason for this problems

Stukow wrote:

i will try to find out which of this 3 INTEL EXTREME TUNING... INTEL INTEGRATED CLOCK.. INTEL PROSET... causes the Problem for me

By the name, Intel Extreme Tuning is the XTU utility from Intel to overclock their CPUs. Not sure about the other 2 though.