cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL552 WITH Samsung 850 SATA III m2 drive is working: Here's How I Did It

dbodyguru
Level 9
I bought a Asus ROG GL552 and I had major issues trying to install a working SSD into the single m2 slot there.

Note, the GL552 and GL752 series (these are NOT the same as the higher end ROG G7552's!) don't support NVMe drives.

You have to have a SATA III m2 drive.

The ACHI m2 SSD versions don't work on this model (at least for some people, I see reports on this forum).

I bought a Samsung 850 PRO 512 SATA III m2 drive and installed that into the m2 drive on the GL552.

It detected this drive just fine. So at least on CANADIAN or AMERICAN versions of the GL552, Sata III m2 seems to be the working m2, not ACHI or NVMe.

However, using the Samsung Migration software to clone the 1 Terabyte default HDD OS installation to the new SSD did clone to the drive, but the drive would not boot a working version of windows 10. When I tried to boot from the new 512 850 EVO m2 SATA III on the GL552, it would boot into windows, but the desktop would flicker every half second and I could not click on anything.

I tried using Partion Magic, EaseUS TO Backup, Samsung Migration -- and every time I could NOT boot to windows properly on the new m2 SSD drive on the GL552.

Finally, I was able to get it working properly by using Macrum Reflect FREE, cloning from the HDD to the 512 Samsung EVO Sata III m2 SSD, switching the boot load order to the new SSD, and walla, it worked perfectly.

SO USE Macrum Reflect to Clone from your HDD to your SSD if you have the GL552 and you bought a Samsung 850 m2 SATA 3 SSD and you want to boot your OS from the SSD. The OTHER clone software did NOT produce a working installtion from me.
33 REPLIES 33

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes, Macrium Reflect has been flawless with UEFI since at least 2012, and it works flawlessly for most people, If you follow directions 100% of the time. Most of the issues arise from people that don't understand UEFI and try to copy only the C:\ rather than the complete Disk/SSD
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

This worked for me too!

Julskey
Level 10
Paragon HDM 15 worked for me as well. made image of whole hdd for backup, then restored backup of hdd to ssd. All done by using a 32GB bootable usb 3.0 thumb drive. Thumb drive created using rufus and iso image of paragon hdm15. backup image saved in thumb drive as well.

ROGKenny
Level 7
Thanks dbodyguru!! Perfect timing as I'm considering doing the same upgrade, but have been hesitant since hearing the problems other ROGs are having.

Is the Samsung that you have the part number: (MZ-N5E500BW)?

I popped open the back cover and had a look at the M.2 slot. It has one indentation U on it.....I hope that's the same as what you have.

I'm not sure about this American and Canadian version I hear about and how to spot the difference. I wished ASUS would make it clear..perhaps, put US or CAN on the part number.

Anyhow, thanks again.

dbodyguru wrote:
I bought a Asus ROG GL552 and I had major issues trying to install a working SSD into the single m2 slot there.

Note, the GL552 and GL752 series (these are NOT the same as the higher end ROG G7552's!) don't support NVMe drives.

You have to have a SATA III m2 drive.

The ACHI m2 SSD versions don't work on this model (at least for some people, I see reports on this forum).

I bought a Samsung 850 PRO 512 SATA III m2 drive and installed that into the m2 drive on the GL552.

It detected this drive just fine. So at least on CANADIAN or AMERICAN versions of the GL552, Sata III m2 seems to be the working m2, not ACHI or NVMe.

However, using the Samsung Migration software to clone the 1 Terabyte default HDD OS installation to the new SSD did clone to the drive, but the drive would not boot a working version of windows 10. When I tried to boot from the new 512 850 EVO m2 SATA III on the GL552, it would boot into windows, but the desktop would flicker every half second and I could not click on anything.

I tried using Partion Magic, EaseUS TO Backup, Samsung Migration -- and every time I could NOT boot to windows properly on the new m2 SSD drive on the GL552.

Finally, I was able to get it working properly by using Macrum Reflect FREE, cloning from the HDD to the 512 Samsung EVO Sata III m2 SSD, switching the boot load order to the new SSD, and walla, it worked perfectly.

SO USE Macrum Reflect to Clone from your HDD to your SSD if you have the GL552 and you bought a Samsung 850 m2 SATA 3 SSD and you want to boot your OS from the SSD. The OTHER clone software did NOT produce a working installtion from me.

Today or tomorrow I'm doing this to a GL752VW bought in ASUS Europe. It's probably not the same motherboard than the 552 version, but I'll give it a try. Not sure if it's the USA/CAN version, or another different. Anyhow, there's no way to tell. Bought the same SSD Samsung EVO 850 256GB SATA III M.2. On the online manual of my version says NO sata is supported on the M.2 bay, but even ASUS can't tell the real specifications at the moment. We'll see, I will report results on this topic.

Little questioning before proceeding;

Should I disconnect the original HDD when first booting from SSD?
If not; How should I order the booting order? Now, I have first the Windows Boot Manager (WBM) or something like that, followed by the HDD, and in third place, the CDROM bay. I assume that if I leave connected the HDD, there'd be two WBM, so would be messy to place an order.

Don't have a clue either when it comes to the following doubt; If now, without connecting the SSD, I change the boot order and get the HDDin first place, followed by the WBM and CDROM... Would windows boot normally? What'd be the difference between placing the HDD loaded with windows in first OR second place?

Thanks guys

Edit: tried that last question while waiting to the delivery van with the SSD and showed me a screen saying something like "please reboot and choose the correct boot option". So probably I will have to unplug the HDD when I want to boot the SSD for the first time. Don't know, anyhow, what is it gonna happen when both SSD and HDD are plugged. Maybe the both windows boot manager show the specific disk which'll try to load

nandodean wrote:
Today or tomorrow I'm doing this to a GL752VW bought in ASUS Europe. It's probably not the same motherboard than the 552 version, but I'll give it a try. Not sure if it's the USA/CAN version, or another different. Anyhow, there's no way to tell. Bought the same SSD Samsung EVO 850 256GB SATA III M.2. On the online manual of my version says NO sata is supported on the M.2 bay, but even ASUS can't tell the real specifications at the moment. We'll see, I will report results on this topic.

Little questioning before proceeding;

Should I disconnect the original HDD when first booting from SSD?
If not; How should I order the booting order? Now, I have first the Windows Boot Manager (WBM) or something like that, followed by the HDD, and in third place, the CDROM bay. I assume that if I leave connected the HDD, there'd be two WBM, so would be messy to place an order.

Don't have a clue either when it comes to the following doubt; If now, without connecting the SSD, I change the boot order and get the HDDin first place, followed by the WBM and CDROM... Would windows boot normally? What'd be the difference between placing the HDD loaded with windows in first OR second place?

Thanks guys

Edit: tried that last question while waiting to the delivery van with the SSD and showed me a screen saying something like "please reboot and choose the correct boot option". So probably I will have to unplug the HDD when I want to boot the SSD for the first time. Don't know, anyhow, what is it gonna happen when both SSD and HDD are plugged. Maybe the both windows boot manager show the specific disk which'll try to load

Hello,

I have the same laptop and thought I'd chime in.

1. Before I did anything I downloaded EASUS Todo Backup (free) and cloned the C and D drive onto a 64gb flash memory drive.
2. I then installed the M.2 850 Evo in to the laptop. Make sure you have a M2 3mm screw on hand to pin down the SDD as it doesn't come with it.
3. Go into Disk Management and initialise the SDD.
4. Run EASEUS Todo and and clone the C and D drive on to the SDD.
5. Turn off the laptop and remove the original 1TB drive
6. Restart the laptop and the laptop will be smart enough to boot from the SDD
7. Once logged into windows make sure everything is running okay. Once confirmed, turn off the laptop and reinstall the original HD.
8. Turn on laptop, log into windows and you'll see the original HD will now be assigned a new letter, as opposed to C and D.

Job Done.

How dumb of me.....I bought a 250 gig ssd and not realizing that the source C drive is larger than that! Duh....now I'm stuck.

I didn't remove the original HD when I booted from the SSD for the first time. Once I had cloned the HD to the SSD I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SSD before the HD. That way if it had any issues booting from the SSD I had the HD to fall back on. Once the laptop booted, I went into disk management to check to see that the partition on the SSD was labeled as the boot drive. My laptop now boots in about 10 seconds!

prototype89 wrote:
Hello,

I have the same laptop and thought I'd chime in.

1. Before I did anything I downloaded EASUS Todo Backup (free) and cloned the C and D drive onto a 64gb flash memory drive.
2. I then installed the M.2 850 Evo in to the laptop. Make sure you have a M2 3mm screw on hand to pin down the SDD as it doesn't come with it.
3. Go into Disk Management and initialise the SDD.
4. Run EASEUS Todo and and clone the C and D drive on to the SDD.
5. Turn off the laptop and remove the original 1TB drive
6. Restart the laptop and the laptop will be smart enough to boot from the SDD
7. Once logged into windows make sure everything is running okay. Once confirmed, turn off the laptop and reinstall the original HD.
8. Turn on laptop, log into windows and you'll see the original HD will now be assigned a new letter, as opposed to C and D.

Job Done.

I followed the steps of the first post, but this is also valid. I used Macrium Reflect. It went everything smooth and soft. Didn't have any problems during the installation. The major issue was to find one screw that fitted the hole with enough outter radius to hold the SSD, but had one at home. Can't understand why Samsung doesn't provide a couple of them.

ROGKenny wrote:
How dumb of me.....I bought a 250 gig ssd and not realizing that the source C drive is larger than that! Duh....now I'm stuck.

Don't worry, as long as you don't have occupied more than the SSD capacity, you won't have problems. The image you create of the old HDD must be smaller than the capacity of the SSD. I did it from a 1TB HDD to a 256GB SSD.

daselby wrote:
I didn't remove the original HD when I booted from the SSD for the first time. Once I had cloned the HD to the SSD I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SSD before the HD. That way if it had any issues booting from the SSD I had the HD to fall back on. Once the laptop booted, I went into disk management to check to see that the partition on the SSD was labeled as the boot drive. My laptop now boots in about 10 seconds!

This works nice too, definitely. Simply hit ESC when booting for the first time with the SSD with windows, and select the Windows Boot Manager referred to the SSD (it clearly specifies which WBM goes to HDD and which one goes to SSD).

Mine also boots in about 10 seconds. Brutal.

So we can confirm that there's a motherboard in this 552/752 which accepts SATA III in M.2 bays, no matter what's told on the instructions book. If you want info about my motherboard or something like that, tell me how and I'll provide info.

edit; did a test. Sometimes gives more writing speed (3-4k mbps)

Here's the pic

http://i63.tinypic.com/154kiza.png

It's in spanish, so Lectura=Reading, Escritura=Writing, Secuencial=Sequential, Aleatoria=Random