cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - Dell 330w PSU goes down

a100
Level 8
Guys, 2 weeks ago I got a Dell 330W PSU from amazon as was suggested by people who had it here and was seemed ok since its statistics proves it a better match for a GTX980Ti.

I didnt have time to test it properly but last 3 days I noticed everytime I run FireStrike GPU shuts down and when I look at the green light of the 330w PSU its turning off meaning the PSU is shutting down or going to safe mode but GTX980Ti fans are still spinning.

You know what is the weirdest thing? When I plug my old Asus 230W PSU into my GTX980Ti it works like a charm without a single issue so it can not be that my GPU is damaged.

I should say my GPU is overclocked with 210 MHZ Core clock offset and 300 MHZ Memory Clock offset.

Anyone else got a dell 330w PSU and having the same issue? or should I consider my Dell 330w PSU defective? because as I said a much weaker 230W PSU which I got by stock works issue free!

Appreciate all your help.
9 REPLIES 9

edmak1804
Level 7
Yeah its a common issue, its not the PSU failing the problem is the PSU itself does not have a high enough amperage (despite having the wattage) so sometimes the power draw can shut it down (safety feature) so what happens is your video card is still 'running' hence the fan speed, but cannot process video.
The only way around it is to throttle yourself to like 92% power using MSI Afterburner. I only experienced this with two things. Battlefield 4 (running MAX all settings and then 150-175% pscale) if i run the same at only 100% its fine. and Assassins creed Unity, which btw is a piece of crap that does this without even getting to the main menu.

a100
Level 8
hey man tnx for sharing.

Its really odd you know. Have you seen the stock Asus 230w PSU? It can handle my GTX980Ti at any situation I play or any firestrike test although it has much lower wattage and amperage!!!!!!!! how is this possible?!! a weaker PSU can handle it like a champ while a bugger PSU cant?

Your experience you shared above, is it happening with a Dell 330W PSU?

Don't overclock your GTX 980Ti, but rather keep it at the standard Nvidia GTX 980Ti Reference card settings, and you should be fine w/the Dell 330W power supply. Overclocking requires more power. Outside of benchmarking, you're not gaining anything when it comes to gaming w/overclocking. The GTX 980Ti is already a fast card. I would assume you are using the 180W as the other power supply, for the rest of the system?
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Same thing happened with mine. I used dell 330w combined with asus 180w, my gtx 980ti goes down everytime I run firestrike, I didn`t overclock the GPU. I already rma the power brick and get a new one, but still the same. is it because of the jumper setting?

I have to lowering the power target to 75% to be able to run firestrike completely. kind a weird

a100
Level 8
I Overclocked my GTX980Ti to 210 MHZ core offset and 300 MHZ Memory Offset using my Asus 230W which came as stoke for the GTX980 Card. It works flawlessly fine at 100% power limit.

a100 wrote:
I Overclocked my GTX980Ti to 210 MHZ core offset and 300 MHZ Memory Offset using my Asus 230W which came as stoke for the GTX980 Card. It works flawlessly fine at 100% power limit.

Try Run 3dmark firestrike in loop for few hours to test the stability, mine didn`t pass an hour when using asus 230w. I gave up my Dell330w, i think mine was bootleg one, that`s why cant lift up my system.
Now i`m using 1000w internal PSU for my gtx980ti. OC to +250mhz core offsett & 300mhz, running Firestrike smoothly for hours.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/10048068

spartan_hoplite wrote:
Try Run 3dmark firestrike in loop for few hours to test the stability, mine didn`t pass an hour when using asus 230w. I gave up my Dell330w, i think mine was bootleg one, that`s why cant lift up my system.
Now i`m using 1000w internal PSU for my gtx980ti. OC to +250mhz core offsett & 300mhz, running Firestrike smoothly for hours.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/10048068

Tnx for your comment man.

I decided on something last night.
I ordered a 600W green HP PSU to use it for my GTX980Ti. The PSU needs to be Jumpered to work directly.
That PSU has over 45 Amps and 600 Wattage.

Have you done the same thing? An external PC PSU for the GTX980Ti?
Your firestrike score looks cool, well done.

Oh and plz share your OC values, if you have added any Voltage.

a100 wrote:
Tnx for your comment man.

I decided on something last night.
I ordered a 600W green HP PSU to use it for my GTX980Ti. The PSU needs to be Jumpered to work directly.
That PSU has over 45 Amps and 600 Wattage.

Have you done the same thing? An external PC PSU for the GTX980Ti?
Your firestrike score looks cool, well done.

Oh and plz share your OC values, if you have added any Voltage.

Yup I`v done the same thing, using Super Flower 1000w Platinum just to attach the 6 & 8pin pci-e power port.
Ididn`t add any voltage, just increase the power target to 110% and add +250mhz core, +300mhz mem.

a100
Level 8
Cool, I did the same thing but my firestrike score is less than yours.

Maybe because I`m using windows 8.1 64bit and i7 4790 and you`re using win 10 and i7 4790k

Here is mine: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/10083951