cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook internal cleaning

Niccolo
Level 7
Hi,

Planning to clean my G750-JX. I have this little interest in using a contact cleaner then once dried up I'll use either a canned air or buy my own air blower to further remove dust and dirt.

What do you guys think? Would the method above work and not harm the notebook? Have you guys already tried using a contact cleaner?

Thanks! 😄
10 REPLIES 10

navis995
Level 11
If you really want to clean it you'll have to put it apart. Just using canned air won't do much I'm afraid.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
If you really want to clean it you'll have to put it apart. Just using canned air won't do much I'm afraid.

Yes that's actually part of the plan. Put it apart to clean the internal parts of the notebook. 😄

MaxCioco
Level 7
Once the mother board is free of static charge and leftover charge from capacitors you can clean it with isopropyl alcohol safely.

I did so with mine 2 times now in 1 and a half year since I have my laptop. But I don't advise for it!!

Your best bet is to just take the laptop apart, use a brush and then canned air. I say I brush because canned air won't force off dust that adhered to the surfaces. If you want to change the thermal paste (if needed, no need to waste money on a new paste) then use a good solvent to clean the old paste+oxides that formed at contact surfaces. Again, isopropyl is your best bet.

Be advised: cleaning this kind of laptop is a pain in the a** and will take time and patience.

MaxCioco wrote:
Once the mother board is free of static charge and leftover charge from capacitors you can clean it with isopropyl alcohol safely.

Thanks for you suggestion Max! By the way, is there a device i can use to determine if the motherboard and its capacitors are already zero on leftover charges? Any kind of brush you would also suggest for use? I tried using a toothbrush on my old non-asus notebook and it didn't go well for me 😞

2 years of heavy use and daily transportation, my G750 still runs at steady temperatures. I don't think you are supposed to open Asus laptops, the cooling system should as far as I know be good enough to maintain the components.

HoTo wrote:
2 years of heavy use and daily transportation, my G750 still runs at steady temperatures. I don't think you are supposed to open Asus laptops, the cooling system should as far as I know be good enough to maintain the components.

Hi Hoto,

Thanks but my laptop already shuts down itself due to heat. I touched the surface on the keyboard near the lcd when it shut down and the temperature felt high (even with a laptop cooler).

I thought maybe cleaning the dust off the inside will help normalize the temperature of my laptop.

MaxCioco
Level 7
1,5 years and 3/7 days I have it with me. Gets FULL of dust every 2-3 months. Depends on the environment which in my case is full of dust, not to say that I run it in high ambient temperatures and at high load. Therefore if I wouldn't have cleaned it this often it would have burnt long time ago. So depends on how and where you use it. You are not supposed to open it if you know nothing about what you're doing and you don't need it.

As for capacitors my best bet is around ~60 minutes with battery off - that much I always wait, I don't guarantee it. Anyway, I don't recommend using isopropyl on all the mother board, and not because of the charge, but that it might dissolve parts. My advice is to do it this way:

1) wait 1-2 hours since battery disconnected
2) take it apart and use a small painting brush to get the most of the dust out of every possible place; be gentle, better swipe it more times than once and hard - not the type for artistic painting, but those that you paint fences and gates with.
3) use canned air on all surfaces; dun spray from close distance, rather 30 cm or so - and read the instuctions on how to use the can properly

Isopropyl is very useful if you want to change the thermal paste off the cpu and gpu, but in doing so you WILL void your warranty. I for one did it and I an content with it. But it might not be the best thing for you. At least if you have good temps, no need to do it.

And if you open it up don't forget to discharge yourself of the static electricity that you most likely carry. It will instantly fry your laptop. How can you do that? Your simplest way is to touch a big thing made of metal. - here is something that might inspire you :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T6WGFmam0

MaxCioco wrote:
1,5 years and 3/7 days I have it with me. Gets FULL of dust every 2-3 months. Depends on the environment which in my case is full of dust, not to say that I run it in high ambient temperatures and at high load. Therefore if I wouldn't have cleaned it this often it would have burnt long time ago. So depends on how and where you use it. You are not supposed to open it if you know nothing about what you're doing and you don't need it.

As for capacitors my best bet is around ~60 minutes with battery off - that much I always wait, I don't guarantee it. Anyway, I don't recommend using isopropyl on all the mother board, and not because of the charge, but that it might dissolve parts. My advice is to do it this way:

1) wait 1-2 hours since battery disconnected
2) take it apart and use a small painting brush to get the most of the dust out of every possible place; be gentle, better swipe it more times than once and hard - not the type for artistic painting, but those that you paint fences and gates with.
3) use canned air on all surfaces; dun spray from close distance, rather 30 cm or so - and read the instuctions on how to use the can properly

Isopropyl is very useful if you want to change the thermal paste off the cpu and gpu, but in doing so you WILL void your warranty. I for one did it and I an content with it. But it might not be the best thing for you. At least if you have good temps, no need to do it.

And if you open it up don't forget to discharge yourself of the static electricity that you most likely carry. It will instantly fry your laptop. How can you do that? Your simplest way is to touch a big thing made of metal. - here is something that might inspire you :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T6WGFmam0

Hi Max!

Thanks a lot! I think this would really help. I don't think opening it would be a problem for me since I have tried it before when I needed to reconnect my lcd screen to the motherboard. And my warranty has already expired.

I will try this out and let you guys know about the results 🙂

Cheers

MaxCioco
Level 7
If you re-paste check that the new paste you use it non conductive. Usually that kind of info it on the label.