cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT: Help! Cannot Reinstall Windows 10! Ssd 128gb Not Found!

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
Alright, so I was doing a bit of editing around within system32, things I've done before without a hassle so I didn't bother to make a restore point (I can already feel you guys rolling your eyes at me...)

Well, I restarted the computer, and when I got back to the login screen.... Constant flashing of gray and black.

That's fine, go into recovery options from boot, click on fix windows startup.... But it can't fix anything. I try to 'reset' the computer while keeping all of my files... "This drive is locked." I go into BIOS to adjust the settings in every way that would unlock it. Still locked. I give up and go for a full reset... "An error has occurred. No changes have been made."

I tried to completely reinstall windows 10 via my UEFI USB boot, and it can't find the m2 ssd now... But it shows up in my bios.

I took another HDD and installed 10 on there perfectly fine, and then went into disk manager, and the m2 ssd is not showing still. Then I tried Samsung magician. Nothing. Master Partition. Nothing. It's like the thing isn't there at all, the only thing that actually sees the ssd now is the bios, and that is only if I go under the raid list. Yet in the description. It says it is a "Non-Raid Physical Disk".

I don't know what I am missing, I don't know what to do. I'm on the verge of just sending this back and waiting on my replacement, but with school starting back up in 2 weeks, I do not want to take that chance...

Does anyone know what I can do? Because I've been researching for the past 3 hours, switching in and out drives and everything, and I still cannot get it to show up for installation. 😞
50 REPLIES 50

Julskey
Level 10
I think the restore image is not Win10. Just clean install Win10 from usb. Once everything is okay, make an image using paragon hard disk manager 15, or similar image tools and restore image to ssd. Remove hdd and boot from ssd to confirm working. Then reinstall hdd and use bootable paragon hdm15 (WinPE) to format hdd, as youcannot have 2 drives with the exact same image, one drive will be disabled by windows.

Julskey wrote:
I think the restore image is not Win10. Just clean install Win10 from usb. Once everything is okay, make an image using paragon hard disk manager 15, or similar image tools and restore image to ssd. Remove hdd and boot from ssd to confirm working. Then reinstall hdd and use bootable paragon hdm15 (WinPE) to format hdd, as youcannot have 2 drives with the exact same image, one drive will be disabled by windows.

I don't entirely understand what it is you're asking of me. I can't install Windows 10 onto the SSD because whenever I go into the Windows 10 installation with my USB, it doesn't show the SSD at all. The only place that will show it is BIOS. I can't even format it within Windows Disk Management.

I do want to point something out though, when I did diskpart last night via recovery menu, it showed the SSD. But I 'cleaned' the SSD while I was in diskpart. After that, the only thing that could find it was the BIOS. Nothing else.

I'm pulling my hair out, what little I do have... I've been trying still for another hour or so since I've woken up.

But I'll say it again, there is NOTHING on the SSD now. It was cleaned using diskpart. But I have no way to format it to NTFS, Fat32, MBR, nothing. Until the computer can actually see the drive outside of bios, there is nothing I can do with it.

I've never had this problem before.

Julskey
Level 10
Forget my previous reply and please read Sticky Thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" in this forum.

Best practice when having new laptops is to make a backup recovery image of the whole drive (using bootable Paragon Hard Disk Manager or similar programs) before doing anything else. So incase the built-in recovery system fails, then you have another possibility to factory restore your laptop.

Julskey wrote:
Forget my previous reply and please read Sticky Thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" in this forum.

good advise...there...
now...HW problems excluded, if one read that guide, one should know that:
CSM enable = old bios mode
CSM disabled = UEFI mode
if installing OS using UEFI, you MUST FORMAT IN ADVANCE THE DRIVE ( ssd/hdd) AS GPT otherwise windows installation WILL NOT agree to install OS ( booted with uefi method ) on the drive.
Also, UEFI OS installatio requires min of 3 partitions on the GPT drive:
1. EFI ( FAT32 formateed )
2. MSR ( MS reserve partition - special file system)
3. Windows "c" drive - NTFS advisably formatted.

if your GPT drive don't contains these 3 partitions in THAT ORDER - you either won't see the drive in the boot-selection screen during laptop POST, or either will have boot problems, as the boot files sits on the EFI partition, and the MSR partition is 2nd requirement for windows boot.

now...if you please...READ MY GUIDE TO THE END (see my sig for link)- ALL OF THIS KNOWLEDGE IS THERE.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
I've been following that guide up until now, but I can't do absolutely anything to the m2 SSD because, again, it doesn't show anywhere else other than in BIOS, and that is completely regardless of whatever settings I change within the BIOS.

The SSD isnt dead, I know that for sure. This computer hasn't experienced dropping or anything of the sort. I just can't get to the darn thing. And that guide didn't help me as much as I hoped it would have...

Julskey
Level 10
Have you tried this guide? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information/page2&...

I read a thread before (but I forgot which one) a user installed win10 on hdd. Then using a bootable imaging software (i.e. Paragon Hard Drive Manager 15) he copied the hdd image to the ssd. Take note that the ssd drive must be created as UEFI GPT drive (I think it has another partition for booting aside from the OS Partition. I've not tried creating this since I made an image of the original drive (with 4 partitions I think - for Boot manager, restore, blank partition, then OS partition). You can read help file from partitioning/backup software.

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
Okay.... so I have somehow managed to make the computer find the SSD. Now I am able to see it in not only the BIOS, but within Windows itself. The only problem now is seeing it via installation.

I currently have it formatted with NTFS, and I can place files onto the drive itself while in File Explorer, but the computer still won't find it for installation, as you have said in your post, Mr.GPS.

What's interesting to me is that Samsung Data Management and Samsung Magician still don't see the drive at all, though Disk Management and EaseUS can find it now.

Don't take my words the wrong way, Mr.GPS, I've read throughout your guide several times since last night, downloaded all of the drivers for my computer and everything, but I am still struggling. There is nothing wrong with your guide, trust me, I'm the fault in the equation.

I just need to have the installation find the SSD, or perhaps diskpart will find it this time...

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
Alright, I am letting you know right now that I started completely over and made everything from square 1. Formatted the ssd again, used disk part, converted what needed to be converted in the proper order. Used the new UEFI boot that I made with the windows 10 home iso that I got directly from them, had the USB configured within Rufus in the proper format, made sure that the bios were set properly, with fast boot off, secure boot off, csm off. The ssd had efi and everything created properly and in order. Went to clean install Windows 10 onto the ssd after making sure it was the only drive in the computer....

Windows installation STILL can't find the drive.

I give up. I don't know what to do anymore.

Gps3dx
Level 12
UniversalWolf21 wrote:
...the only thing that actually sees the ssd now is the bios, and that is only if I go under the raid list. Yet in the description. It says it is a "Non-Raid Physical Disk".

wawawawawa wait a minute.....
raid ? WTF ?
why the frak ( yes BSG fan ) you use RAID on a single ssd based machine ? it makes no sense !

Please enter the bios and change the drives control to AHCI instead of RAID !
Also... look at this REVIEW from NoteBookCheck.net
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]