cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme SLI support

morpheus777
Level 7
Does the Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard support 3-way or even 4-way SLI? (for example three 980 Ti's in SLI configuration).
8 REPLIES 8

etihad
Level 7
I think it can only support upto 2 ways sli. If you go three way you will get very slow speeds. I think if you do go three way it can only be done with nvidia
i9 10900K @ 5.3GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme | 32GB 8Pack @ 3600MHZ | 1.8TB HDD WD Raid 0 | H115iGTX | Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Extreme Edition| Samsung Pro 950 M.2 512GB | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Corsair RM850 | Kingston HyperX 500GB | Corsair 780T |

Menthol
Level 14
2 way sli is the most any Z170 board can do without a PLX chip to add additional pcie lanes, no ASUS boards are using that except maybe the work station board

Upon reading the mobo manual i learned
- Single GPU (x16 speed)
-Dual GPUs (x8/x8 speed)
-Triple GPUs (x8/4/x4 speed)

So in conclusion it does support three way?

Menthol
Level 14
except Nvidia specs = 8x pcie minimum, AMD specs 4x pcie minimum, so 2 way sli, maybe 3 way crossfire

Chino
Level 15
morpheus777 wrote:
Does the Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard support 3-way or even 4-way SLI? (for example three 980 Ti's in SLI configuration).

2-Way SLI or 3-Way CrossFireX.

If you go to this link http://wccftech.com/asus-rog-z170-motherboards-maximus-viii-extreme-maximus-viii-hero-maximus-viii-g...
and read the section under the title "ASUS Z170 ROG Maximus VIII Extreme".

It says quote "There’s a PLX chip hidden beneath the heatsink to the bottom of the LGA 1151 socket which adds more PCI-E lanes".

Menthol
Level 14
well that's incorrect, maybe that was the original plan, maybe not but there isn't one, if you want or need 3 plus GPU's X99 and a 40 pcie lane CPU is the better option

Praz
Level 13
Hello

It was never planned for the M8E to have a PLX chip. The early reports stating otherwise were people pushing out their guesses as fact when they had no basis to make such an assumption.