cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking the plunge

emitch87
Level 7
Been lurking around this forum for about a year now. Last December I upgraded from my 3 year old Alienware M14X to the Asus G20 i5 model from BestBuy. What an upgrade! With Dragon Age Inquistion I realized that newer games were pushing that poor little GTX 750 beyond what I want.

Well, I had a bit of extra cash this month and decided to go ahead and upgrade the video card. Just ordered an EVGA GTX 980TI and a Dell 330W brick. Ended up paying $575 for the video card, $90 for the brick.

I was just about to order a GTX 970 when I randomly got some extra money out of nowhere, about $300, so the price difference was negligible!

Thanks everyone for all the posts you have made.

I'll be sure to follow up once I have everything installed.
5 REPLIES 5

a100
Level 8
GTX980Ti is all that matters trust me 🙂

emitch87
Level 7
Can't wait to install it! Might go get an SSD as a boot drive and do that at the same time. Next big purchase will be a new monitor, the one I have is running great, but it is nearing 8 years old at least (maybe 10).

a100
Level 8
Use SSD Samsung EVO 850 Pro, I`m using its 512 G version and disabled my #T SATA.

Whole system is on that SSD and I gotta say it feels like a rocket ride 🙂

emitch87
Level 7
Oh boy, I feel like an idiot now. Not only do I need the 330W (which I got today), but I didn't realize that I needed the 180W also (thought that was the one I had!) Anyone know a model that will work?

emitch87
Level 7
Loving this GTX 980 TI! Only have had a couple issues: getting that extra slot cover off was a PITA!!!! Also have to be careful not to run too much power from one socket or risk tripping the PSU.

Overall, running amazing!