cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-way Titan X + triple 4K Surround = stuttering issue

mirkoj
Level 7
Looking for some help here.
Running into an really nasty issues with stuttering and I was hoping to see if that is something I can fix with some settings or what...
Everything is in maximum details, only AA is turned off, makes no sense to use it on 4K screens really.
It is much less visible on heaven bench but in valley it is really noticeable from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqYAQz_JCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mMGYybh7s

Games are ofc completely different thing as most of them especially new titles have no SLI support at all, and any triple 4k gaming is impossible... The Witcher 3, Fallout4 and even tried SOMA last night and it is all unplayable at those resolutions.
But for start iw ould be happy to solve this nasty tearing at least on these two benchmarks.

System:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
5960X (asus 8-core gaming OC preset)
Corsair H110i
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
4x Asus Titan X (+200MHz core clock OC)
512GB Samsung 850 pro SSD
Corsair AX1500i PSU
Corsair 900D case
3x Asus PA328q 32" 4k monitors

nvidia driver 361.43

Anyone knows a way to at least try and pinpoint what is the problem, why stutter appears.
Any chance it is due to disk speed loading textures or something, as I noticed also in free cam mode that when I walks forward it is not that visible almost none, but when i start turning around it is horrible. Like loading new textures slowdown?
I could upgrade to 2 SSDs in raid0 but no point if taht is not the issue, single one right now is good for everything else.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

grassy
Level 12
I would love to be able to solve this problem for you right now, but unfortunately this is one of the biggest problems with PC's that i know off and always seems to raise its ugly head in some game or other. I have changed settings to this and that and downloaded and uninstalled drivers till it drove me mad and i still have not got to the bottom of this problem and just when you think its solved, it raises its ugly head again.I don't know off anyone and i mean ANYONE who has solved this problem. Plenty off claims mind you but realistically no solution for the masses. This is the very 1 thing i hate about pc's. I am building a custom water cooling system at the moment to see if that will help with stutter as i have tried everything else. The only answer i can come up with at present is that every game is optimized differently. Try setting your system up in a raid config as that is one thing i have not done yet. Your system spec's seem to be an expensive build and its a shame spending all that money for stutter.That is what pee's me off with stutter. Sorry for the rant but i really hate this problem with a passion.I will be keeping an eye on this thread for a solution just as much as you believe me and i hope it gets solved.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

grassy
Level 12
Read this thread if you have not already http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/108893-13-stuttering-games
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Please set only basic startup programs and no background programs
In Nvidia's Manage 3D settings, set SLI Rendering Mode to Force alternative rendering 1
Vertical Sync -> on (smooth) or off (if you want high frame rate)
You have 4 Titan X SLI, you can turn on Vsync and still get decent frame rate.
I also set VIrtual memory to Custom size and set to 2.5x memory for max and initial size (MB) to 2927 (or Recommended).
You can also try Adaptive Vsync
Sincerely,
TY

Chino
Level 15

amazing !!
i wait for the new nvidia pascal to play in 4k..maybe
take a look at mine "2.5k"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnClhj82xdM

Mhill2029
Level 8
I run 3x Rog Swifts and i had the same issue with games. But i found in my case it was G-Sync surround that was the cause of terrible microstuttering and triple vision effects on textures when turning. Turning G-Sync Off/V-Sync Off made pretty much everything become fluid in surround and GPU usage jumped up to 95%+ on every card. It seems that Nvidia's last 6 driver incarnations all have this problem and i'm now using the latest.

The Witcher 3 i cannot get to work above 40fps in surround with terribly low gpu usage, only going to single screen and capping the fps to 60 is it fluid. Without a cap, even on a single display it's terrible.

Regarding Heaven and Valley benchmarks, they always have odd stutter at certain points with 3 or 4 gpu's. It's normal...
Intel i7-6950X @ Stock for now
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)
Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 (Bios: 3101)
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinums @ 3000Mhz
512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (RAID-0)
2x EVGA Titan X Superclocks in SLI
Corsair AX1500i Titanium + Red Sleeved Cables
2x 27" Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (Surround 7680x1440 @144Hz + GSync)
Lian Li PC08 Tempered Glass Case
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround

Korth
Level 14
Triple monitors at WQHD will cap at 60Hz (=60fps) max. It's a hardwired DisplayPort 1.2 signal bandwidth limitation. Swifts can only function at 120Hz/144Hz/165Hz in single-monitor setups. Swifts can even function at 85Hz in dual-monitor setups with the use of nonstandard hacks.

That being said, you'll seldom dip below the upper cap (60fps) if your GPU(s) can sustain faster rendering than your monitor(s) can display.

My 2-SLI GTX980 (and dedicated PhysX) setup can easily sustain >50fps on Witcher 3 without stutter. So something is obviously not working correctly in your 4-SLI TitanX systems. It might involve TitanX G-Sync drivers.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Legolas
Level 9
mirkoj wrote:
Looking for some help here.
Running into an really nasty issues with stuttering and I was hoping to see if that is something I can fix with some settings or what...
Everything is in maximum details, only AA is turned off, makes no sense to use it on 4K screens really.
It is much less visible on heaven bench but in valley it is really noticeable from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqYAQz_JCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mMGYybh7s

Games are ofc completely different thing as most of them especially new titles have no SLI support at all, and any triple 4k gaming is impossible... The Witcher 3, Fallout4 and even tried SOMA last night and it is all unplayable at those resolutions.
But for start iw ould be happy to solve this nasty tearing at least on these two benchmarks.

System:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
5960X (asus 8-core gaming OC preset)
Corsair H110i
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
4x Asus Titan X (+200MHz core clock OC)
512GB Samsung 850 pro SSD
Corsair AX1500i PSU
Corsair 900D case
3x Asus PA328q 32" 4k monitors

nvidia driver 361.43

Anyone knows a way to at least try and pinpoint what is the problem, why stutter appears.
Any chance it is due to disk speed loading textures or something, as I noticed also in free cam mode that when I walks forward it is not that visible almost none, but when i start turning around it is horrible. Like loading new textures slowdown?
I could upgrade to 2 SSDs in raid0 but no point if taht is not the issue, single one right now is good for everything else.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

I hope everything is working for you.
Sincerely,
Legolas

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Well, my Rig is nothing compared to yours, but I do know what you mean about the stuttering issue. Is it happening in all games you try to play?
I saw you mention Fallout 4 and so I figured I'd comment because Ive been playing that game alot. When I first got it, i was having some serious stuttering issues. I am using a 4k monitor, but my 970 ftw can't really handle graphically intensive games at that resolution so I usually play them @1440p instead.
But, as for Fallout, I followed some optimization guides for tweaking the .ini files for the game and it totally fixed my major stuttering issues! Your processor for example has 8 cores and 16 threads. Fallout 4's .ini is set only to utilize 4 cores and 4 threads by default. You can manually change those values to better utilize your processor's capabilities. My wife's pc has a 4790k in it and when I adjusted the files to use all 8 threads instead of just 4, that alone improved the performance.

There are mod tools now that can automatically make several of the tweaks.

I did have some minor microstutter after tweaking the ini files on my Rig too, but that seems to have gone away when upgrading from a 850 pro to the 950 pro M.2 So maybe your SSD is holding your system back, like you were theorizing? It could be worth it to try a RAID setup and see if you get any improvements.
And yeah, if I spent that kinda money on a Rig, Id be pissed about stuttering issues too!

I wish I could be of more help, but I have no experience with multi screen gaming, or those beastly Titan X's. Lol.
Id be happy to find some of those links if you want to at least try to get one game performing more like what you were hoping.
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro