cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't disable CSM on M8R to boot from UEFI M.2

sl
Level 7
I've picked up elsewhere that after installing Windows 7 I should disable CSM to take full advantage of the fast UEFI boot capabilities. However, when I do that, boot fails, and I end up on a black screen telling me that
The CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings have been changed for better compatibility.
, i. e. it was switched back on!

The message implies that either there's something missing in my windows installation or that there's another setting in the BIOS that I might need to change to prevent it from switching it back on.

board: Maximus VIII Ranger
BIOS 1202
system drive: Samsung 950 Pro M.2
OS: Windows 7 Pro with SP1 and original SSD drivers from Samsung
10 REPLIES 10

darkage
Level 11
yes it is
with win 7 cant disable csm as it wont boot 🙂

That's not good 😞

If I need CSM to be enabled, is there any point to do an UEFI installation? Or, would it even be advantagous to redo it with a standard installation?

sl@sh wrote:
That's not good 😞

If I need CSM to be enabled, is there any point to do an UEFI installation? Or, would it even be advantagous to redo it with a standard installation?

Unfortunately, the Samsung 950 Pro will only work with an UEFI installation.

darkage
Level 11
use Windows 8 / 8.1 or 10
cant see why keep win 7
things go on my friend
people love inovation and new technology, so why keep a O.S. from last century?

I've had Win 8 on my notebook for more than a year and never stopped hating it. I have my own reasons not to want to upgrade to Win 10 and I don't want to discuss that here.

As for Win 7, what abou this hotfix; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941 ? It doesn't refer to CSM directly, but one of the methods described on that site refers to multiple boot options to both legacy and UEFI installations - why should MS bother with UEFI boot capability in W7 if it couldn't also work around CSM?

gupsterg
Level 13
@ sl@sh

I recently did a Windows 7 x64 UEFI install on my system. Reading most of the guides online suggested disable CSM and I got same message as yourself. I even tried some other things in threads I read and none worked.

How I finally got things going was by having CSM enabled and option Boot from Storage Devices [Legacy OPROM first] to [UEFI driver first].

During installation I formatted the SSD via SHIFT+F10 to open command prompt and used DISKPART.

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DISK # (replace # with hard disk you're certain is target drive)
CLEAN
CONVERT GPT
EXIT

Then closed command prompt and continued with install by selecting the unallocated partition on SSD (I did no setup of partition by installer and let it allocate space automatically).

Later once I reconnected my other HDDs to system I'd get a delay in boot up, I noted a flashing cursor on screen straight after ROG boot up logo. SO I changed option Boot Devices Control [UEFI and Legacy OPROM] to [UEFI only] , I may have been getting a delay as my HDDs are MBR and not GPT at present and perhaps UEFI was searching to see if those had any OS, etc.

My UEFI defaults have Secure Boot / Fast Boot / CSM enabled, so just to recap from UEFI defaults I changed only:-

Boot Devices Control [UEFI and Legacy OPROM] to [UEFI only]
Boot from Storage Devices [Legacy OPROM first] to [UEFI driver first]

More info regarding my experience with getting Win7 x64 UEFI installed in this thread, yet to update it with last UEFI option change (Boot Device Control).

I have an Asus Maximus VII Ranger not VIII Ranger but only sharing this info as perhaps it may help you.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Thank you very much for the feedback. That's at least one setting I haven't tried.

gupsterg
Level 13
No worries 🙂 , hope it helps you.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video