cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My nightmare of an experience with a ROG G750JZ - Mexican users beware!

JavierH
Level 7
Hello all!

I've had this issue for far too long...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-71577.html

Long story short: "Something's going on with my ROG 750JZ.

It used to work OK, but lately I've noticed I lose brightness every now and then (screen drops its brightness) and FPS drop by half."

What's happening was that something's wrong with the power supply or motherboard, and the computer switches to battery power every now and then. This problem is pretty common:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37037-Please-help-major-fps-drops-causing-display-to-dim-w...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62387-Asus-ROG-G750JZ-Toggles-from-AC-Battery-mode-in-some...

Anyway, my first post happened within my warranty period, unfortunately I waited too long and sent back the laptop in November.

And nothing has happened, other than Asus Mexico sending me back my laptop in even worse shape than before (when I received it, I couldn't even power it on) during the last week of November. I sent it back, and they returned it today.... and all they fixed was that now the laptop does turn itself on. But nothing more. They said they couldn't find the issue.

I've been a month and a half without my laptop. Tomorrow, or the day after, when I sent it back, I'll have done so three times in a row. I've talked 5 or 6 times with tech support. I've asked them to call me when testing the unit so I can guide them step by step on how to reproduce it. I've mailed them 3 or 4 times describing the problem in detail. I've pointed out the 4 or 5 threads on this site regarding the issue. I even wrote down the issue on the box where I shipped my laptop. Yes, I shot an angry mail at them the first week of December. Nothing helped.

Apparently, they couldn't care less about what I wrote, because they simply ignore it.

Heck, I even installed 3DMarks and asked them to try running the benchmark mode so they could see by themselves the issue. I got a note back that said "Ran Funmark and 3dMatch. No issue".

I've become so infuriated at them (not Asus Taiwan, not Asus US, but Asus Mexico) that I bought a new computer. I just need one for work and can't wait yet another month or two for them to finally fix this issue. Sadly, it's not a gaming rig. It's just something to work with. I guess my "gamer" days are over.

And anyway, at this point I can't even be sure what they did to the laptop. They could have switched my motherboard for someone else's the first time around - since I delivered them a functional laptop and they returned one that didn't even turn itself on. That's suspicious - they received the laptop in working condition and supposedly sent it back in perfect shape, and now they say they changed parts of the display. So how will I know when / if they decide to fix it that I'm paying a fair price?

I'm done with Asus Mexico. To anyone reading this - don't buy Asus in Mexico. The computers are great, service is terrible (obviously, my new laptop isn't an Asus, and it has a generous warranty).
9 REPLIES 9

JavierH
Level 7
Just in case anyone wonders how this issue looks like. Skip to the 50 second mark for the good stuff. And Asus Mexico thinks there's nothing wrong with my computer. JEEZ.

Hola Javier, lamento escuchar tu triste historia, pero si he sabido de malos tratos y malos soportes por parte de los terceros que están asignados por asus para garantías en México, yo personalmente he tenido varios equipos ASUS, y afortunadamente todo ha salido bien y nunca he tenido que recurrir a estos servicios.

Por otro lado tu falla si parece relacionada al cargador, si cuando esta con la batería no se apaga la maquina, y tienes esos bajones en los fps y destellos en la pantalla es porque cambia a la tarjeta integrada, si también se apaga estando con la batería puede ser la motherboard. Espero nos cuentes que fue lo que paso con tu caso.

Saludos

Areosjc wrote:
Hola Javier, lamento escuchar tu triste historia, pero si he sabido de malos tratos y malos soportes por parte de los terceros que están asignados por asus para garantías en México, yo personalmente he tenido varios equipos ASUS, y afortunadamente todo ha salido bien y nunca he tenido que recurrir a estos servicios.

Por otro lado tu falla si parece relacionada al cargador, si cuando esta con la batería no se apaga la maquina, y tienes esos bajones en los fps y destellos en la pantalla es porque cambia a la tarjeta integrada, si también se apaga estando con la batería puede ser la motherboard. Espero nos cuentes que fue lo que paso con tu caso.

Saludos

Thanks for your message! It only turns itself off while not running with the battery installed.

Third time's the charm, though. The laptop is back at the service center. Since I've been without a laptop since November 14th, I just sighed and bought a new laptop, a Lenovo Y50. The GTX 860M is no match for the 880M, but I can play all games with mid settings, and the laptop works flawlessly. When I get the Asus back I'm selling it and never getting an Asus product again.

It's not that Asus builds bad products - I loved my G750JZ, but Mexico's service center cannot be trusted to keep such a complex laptop running properly.

Update....

They still can't find the problem with my laptop.

I'm starting to fear I'm going to end up with a very expensive paperweight 😞

Dcite
Level 7
Do you happen to know anyone with a spare AC adapter you can try? Dimming while on battery or the unit going right off without would be a sign that the adapter can't supply enough power to keep the laptop going.

You could try power4gear power saver mode.. but then it's not much of a gaming laptop anymore.

You could potentially measure power draw with a watt meter, my G750JH drains up to 189Watts when under heavy load, my adapter itself has a rating of 230W.

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hi there.

When you sent your laptop to ASUS, did you send them your power supply as well? Perhaps ASUS was testing your laptop with a different power supply and couldn't reproduce the problem because they didn't have your power supply?

JavierH
Level 7
No, I did send my power supply every time. I guess they did the BIOS tests and saw the laptop passed them without an issue, so they kept sending it back.

Its weird. I sent the laptop back on January 4th, and apparently they said they received it late last week. Still no news on it.

Sad thing is, I installed all my games on my Lenovo Y50 and I'm starting to miss my ROG less and less. Sure, it's slower, but I've learned to live with "mid" detail settings. It's lighter, quieter... ouch 😞

JavierH wrote:
No, I did send my power supply every time. I guess they did the BIOS tests and saw the laptop passed them without an issue, so they kept sending it back.

Its weird. I sent the laptop back on January 4th, and apparently they said they received it late last week. Still no news on it.

Sad thing is, I installed all my games on my Lenovo Y50 and I'm starting to miss my ROG less and less. Sure, it's slower, but I've learned to live with "mid" detail settings. It's lighter, quieter... ouch 😞

What a crappy and slow service in Mexico...
How much did you already payed for all the repairs, and research?
I would be very angry and irritated.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

JavierH
Level 7
Well, apparently, this story may have a happy ending! I got my laptop yesterday. On the repairs sheet it said the charger was damaged, so they replaced it with a new one - the laptop was fine, no wonder they never found any issues with it!

It may have been three months' repair time, but at least all I paid was S/H once to Asus Mexico. So I can't complain.

And I placed the Lenovo Y50 next to the G750 and it was like comparing a VW Beetle to a Hummer...

Then again, if they had diagnosed the computer properly I may have not had to buy the Lenovo in the first place 😞

I'll run all sorts of tests today, but when I read "charger malfunction" I finally sighed with relief.... at least this time they didn't change the LCD for no reason whatsoever.

Bad news is - the computer is damaged. Its borders are chipped off. Oh, well. I won't be noticing that when I finally finish Batman: Arkham Origins!