cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb 3.0 bclk

sevenfold86
Level 7
Apologize for the newb question.

I recently started transferring some large files via USB 3.0 (3gb+) I've done some quick research on the interwebs and found out that if the BCLK is modified, USB 3.0 transfer speeds are reduced?

The reason I'm asking, is because I've noticed that each and every USB 3.0 port I try to use, I get stuck at a 30mb/s transfer speed.

Yes, my USB device is 3.0 compatible, and my drivers are up-to-date (AsMedia & Intel Drivers)

Would it be true that because I'm running at a modified BCLK, my transfer speeds are reduced, or is there something wrong with my PC?

Any help on this matter would be very much apprecaited!

Cheers
11 REPLIES 11

Hawkstorm
Level 7
I don't see why it should be.

You could try updating your Asmedia firmware there is a updated version floating around in one of the threads here that was posted by someone.

Pleot
Level 8
I have my 3.0 external docking device connected to usb 3.0 and decided to test the speed after reading your post. Seems all is OK here, since the transfer speeds are consistent around 120 - 130 MBps (hdd sata III) . My bclk is 105.0

sevenfold86
Level 7
Appreciate all the feedback!

Now I'm kinda sad... My strap is at 125, finally got my memory and cpu to agree with one another. I usually never use external storage devices, as I tend to move things around on my network instead.

It's really strange, since I recall reading it somewhere that whenever you modify your bclk, it affects everything in your system.

My transfer rates are stuck at 30mb/s - Even installed Asus AI Suite 3 for that USB Boost feature but to no avail. I started doubting myself as to which port is USB 3.0, so I downloaded USB Device Tree Viewer just to make sure.

Any ideas?

I'll take a guess that there might be something disabled in my BIOS?

Edit: I'm using 1801 for the BIOS version

Pleot
Level 8
Check your drivers with "IObit driver booster 3.1" to see if any of your drivers need updating - using that program is up to you since I will take no blame if something goes wrong afterwords - I use it and its good for me but the decision is up to you since there are some people here that dont like it - for me it is good have all drivers is top condition.

sevenfold86
Level 7
Appreciate the suggestion, though I'm fairly confident all my drivers are up-to-date, at least the ones specifically related to anything USB... Just stumped as to why I'm limited to 30mb/s - Correct me if I'm wrong, but even USB 2.0 doesn't go that slow.

sevenfold86 wrote:
Appreciate the suggestion, though I'm fairly confident all my drivers are up-to-date, at least the ones specifically related to anything USB... Just stumped as to why I'm limited to 30mb/s - Correct me if I'm wrong, but even USB 2.0 doesn't go that slow.

Well, I connected the same drive to a USB 2.0 plug and the speed reduced a lot, transfer achived only 40MBps, while in the same conditions but on USB 3.0 speeds are 120-130 MBps, so the answer is yes the difference is notorious. These speeds are similar to hdd connected to sata ports on the mobo so an external docking quality gadget is fine for hdd drives if on USB 3.0 speeds.

I guess the destination drive you are copiyng to is also important what concerns the speed. I used a ssd as destination while testing

sevenfold86
Level 7
Something else I just found out, is that when I copy FROM the USB stick - speeds are reached at around 140mb/s to 150mb/s. When I copy TO the USB stick, it idles around 30mb/s...

Qwinn
Level 11
A lot of usb 3.0 flash drives sold today are actually rated at speeds similar to that, while more expensive ones claim almost ssd level speeds. The variance is huge. The slower ones have a bad habit of simply not listing the transfer speeds in their specs on sites like newegg. I'd try to find out from whoever you bought it what it's rated transfer speed is.