cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ddr3 memory for Maximus III Extreme

Retired
Not applicable
Which memory should i buy for the Maximus IV Extreme?
I think the QVL of the Maximus III Extreme is a good starting point.
But i want 4 dimms of 2 gb each; at least 2000 mhz.
2x the corsair dominator gt CMT4GX3M2A2133C9 looks great in this board; but it's not compliant according to the QVL.
Does anyone has experience with 4 dimms >= 2000 mhz on M3E ?

thank you,
Jerome.
7 REPLIES 7

Mason
Level 10
The reason that particular Dominator GT kit wasn't shown on the QVL for the M3E was because those memory kits came out after the initial launch of the M3E. The 2133MHz kit that you mentioned will work fine on the M3E, and while I can't give performance data on the M4E, I can tell you that we are working with Corsair as well as many other memory vendors to make sure that new/forthcoming memory kits as well as current memory kits will be fully supported.

Retired
Not applicable
but are 2x that kit (4 dimms) also supported on M3E?

Retired
Not applicable
M3E will support 2000MHZ. but the problem lies within your CPU Integrated memory controller and whether or not your CPU can handle the frequency. even if you have identical cpu models, the IMC may either be stronger or weaker to support 2000MHZ. now it can entirely be done, but it really depends on the IMC quality and what or how you use it.

hopefully this analogy helps: if you overclock a gpu to 1GHZ, it may be stable running a game, but may not be stable running furmark. same with this memory question, yes 4 dimms should work at 2000mhz, but stability will be based on whats being run.

Retired
Not applicable
I understand what you say: it depends on cpu's integrated memory controller.
But explain then why QVL of P7P55D-E deluxe has a lot of 4 dimm-configuration supported, and M3E none...
You get my point?
Jerome.

Retired
Not applicable
the QVL list doesnt really mean much. it just means those were the memory we were able to test at the launch of the board. of course there are a lot of memory kits on the market that will work. also the QVL list could have been made a month before the launch of the board and a lot can happen to a bios within 1 month or even a month or 2 after the board has launched.

Retired
Not applicable
moved to the M3E category and changed title to M3E since this is really a M3E topic

Mason
Level 10
the board can definitely handle 4 dimms @ 2000MHz but it all depends on the IMC of your CPU. if you were only going to use 2 DIMMs then it will be much easier on your CPU's IMC. however, even with 2 DIMMs, you still need a good IMC. if you have a really good IMC then you should be able to get 4 DIMMs @ 2000MHz. the M3E is definitely capable of achieving those speeds on 4 DIMMs. if you use real world stability tests like PC Mark Vantage then achieving stability should not be too difficult, but if you're testing with more stressful benchmarks like LinX or Prime, then it will be much harder to get 4 DIMMs @ 2000Mhz stable under those benchmarks.