Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog notebook with broken power jack

Vethosis
Level 7
I just sent my computer to geeksquad which will ship my laptop to ASUS -

client description: device does not charge
agent description: charging port has become disconnected from the IO ports on the unit. ==AG

so basically my laptop jack inside is broken and needs to be soldered back in, did I do the right thing sending this in?
5 REPLIES 5

chrsplmr
Level 18
Vethosis,
Welcome to ROG.
Most RMA's go flawlessly .. those that don't 'we' hear about.
All you can do is calmly wait. Can't say if it was right or wrong, it is what is.
Best of Luck in This. Please keep us posted, We'll leave the light on. .c.

i actually cancelled my shipment with geeksquads, they are quoting about 200$ to replace this and 2 weeks with delivery. i am reading that replacing a jack can be done yourself or going to a local computer repair shop is better, and MUCH cheaper.

chrsplmr
Level 18
imho, Nix on the DIY. Soldering a board like these is 'tricky' to say the least .. specialized benches built for precision are sometimes required.
at times they simply replace the motherboard ... as to 'local' computer shops ... well, best of luck there and that's the end of the warranty.
(just food for thought before action friend)
You find yourself between the proverbial 'rock and a hard place' in this. I'm not sure how geek squad got involved instead of arranging the repair directly with asus unless you have some 'warranty' arrangement with BestBuy (@ $200 it doesn't sound as though you do).
Are you sure your not being charged by the 'geeks' for their service and asus for actually performing the service ? (wondering out loud)
also imho, I would give this a little more thought before I rushed to a 'local' or attempted it myself.
Good Luck. .c.

Thanks, I just have read too many bad reviews about geeksquad. I went to Gadget Repairs and they said about a day, and if it's a simple replace it's about 15$.

I googled my laptop ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74 and this one should be easy to replace the power jack, not 200$ like geeksquad estimates.

I got my ac adapter fixed, a new charger for it, but when I plug it in, it might charger for 20 seconds, then stop for about 3 seconds, then charge again.

my laptop will charge when it is shut off fine, but not when it is on. idk what is going on