Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by dbodyguru View Post
    Also note, I don't recommend installing the intel controllers (i installed to the latest 1.48 version). I did this right before the bios update and afterwards my computer would 'hang up' on boot for 1 minute before showing the ROG logo on screen and beginning the boot process. This happened for system resets and for power on starts. Closing the lid or enabling sleep state would hang up the computer -- it would turn on but just a black screen.
    "right before...bios update" -> have you checked that the bios configuration were not changed after the flashing ????
    it does happens sometimes... and if your CSM option got toggled-> no wonder your OS didn't load up.

look, my advise about using Intel NVMe drivers instead of MS ( for non-samsung NMVe devices ) came from a very knowledgeable person, who runs, operate and write most of the guides in WIN-RAID forums, AKA Fernando- look HERE

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.
    Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
    "Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
    I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
    http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-...eview_174096/3
    "When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
    I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
    "Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
    I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
    http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-...eview_174096/3
    "When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
    I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.
    Actually I did research it. Using your keywords the very first hit

"As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage...ling-Conclusio

According to the spec sheets the 950 pro is 1.5x more efficient in power consumption.

Like I said, I tossed this around for a very long time, longer than I did making a laptop choice and your earlier post about the ACHI being just as fast andfully supported is what drove me to dig so deep.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-05-2016 at 01:44 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Actually I did research it. Using your keywords the very first hit

"As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage...ling-Conclusio
    Well thats a test bench open air. What kind of airflow does your g752 get in the m.2 slot?
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Ill just toss this in here. Seems like a proper fit.
    My G752VY-DH72 just hit the door and as suspected the 256GB M2 SSD is the Samsung SM951 NVMe model.

Bench right out of the box with nothing updated. There is no Samsung magician software installed on the machine. Drivers are intel and M$

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outofthebox.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	54567
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-20-2016 at 03:46 AM.

ROG Member Array

I suspect the Intel driver you installed is the Intel RST driver, not the Intel NVME driver. The Intel NVME driver is designed specifically for Intel SSDs so I'd be surprised if the Intel NVME driver works with a Samsung SSD. Many of us have gotten the 950 Pro to boot Windows. The problems that we haven't been able to overcome are (1) getting any sort of NVME driver (Microsoft or Samsung) to load for the NVME SSD instead of the Intel RAID/ RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver and (2) getting Samsung Magician software to recognize the 950 Pro. Without the NVME driver, performance suffers significantly.

I believe you have inadvertently confirmed that even ASUS doesn't install the NVME driver on G752 that they ship with the NVME SSDs pre-installed from the factory. If true, I am very disappointed with ASUS because they will have provided the hardware (M.2 NVME slots) support without the software (NVME driver) needed to truly take advantage of the performance boost.

Regarding the new BIOS, what version are you referring to? I see only the 205 version posted under support links for the G752 though I've seen a version 208 for the GL752.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Are you seeing better results on other platforms? This was right out of the box, nothing installed that didnt ship from the factory except the benchmark. No IRST driver installed. Intel Chipset raid controller 14.6.3.1032, Microsoft Storage space controller 10.0.10240.16384 and Microsoft NVMe 10.0.10240.16384

This bench is comparable to legit reviews got on their test bed, Intel X99 platform with native windows 8.1 drivers. Comparing it so SATAIII SSD in AHCI there really is no comparison and the spinners look pathetic at 1/20 speed.

The NVMe driver is there and native to windows in anything past 8.1. The SM951 NVMe does not have Samsung drivers. The 950 Pro is the only one that does, I haven't had the opportunity to bench that yet, it comes in tomorrow. I fully expect to beat these numbers with everything staying just as it is.

From what I am seeing as of right now the only difference is some boards are not accepting the Samsung 950 pro NVMe Drivers, and with some Samsung magician is not seeing them. Please keep in mind that the bench I posted is an OEM drive that while Samsung makes it they don't support it.
    Samsung Magician is also not OEM supplied by anyone. Its specific to the consumer market.

The only legitimate grip I've seen thus far was presented by aeolisio in that the SM951 AHCI 512GB can achieve similar results in AHCI mode, no NVMe drivers necessary. I was tempted to go that route but chose the NVMe instead. Its working just fine ATM and Im sure the 950 Pro will work just fine and comparable to test beds that can get the Samsung drivers and Magician (which is totally not necessary) to work.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

OK here is the 950 pro installed. I didnt change drivers. OS upgraded to Win 10 Pro and essentials installed. Graphics drivers updated etc. Nothing done to out of the box configuration of the NVMe drivers or raid drivers. They are exactly as they were when the machine was first fired up. Used Samsung migration tool to clone 256 gb SM951 NVMe stock drive. I will not be clearing that drive and putting it in slot 2. I like to save originals as originals and its going in the box for safe keeping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first run.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	54577

Banned Array

Anyone manage to directly clean install windows 10 to Nvme ssd?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast