cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY G752VY SSD BENCHMARKS COMPARED: Samsung 950 NVMe vs 951 NVMe vs 850 EVO - READ

dbodyguru
Level 9
I have the G752VY with 3 different Samsung SSD's installed now. Because there are a lot of questions about installing Samsung SSD's and replacing the default SSD's, I've decided to benchmark all three of these SSD's on my system so you can see the differences. Hopefully it helps you decide on your upgrade SSD planning.

I've decided to compare the

SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG NVMe

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

vs SAMSUNG 850 SATA 2.5 1TB

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR benchmarks compared.

SUMMARY

If you look at the images, you'll see how fast the SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 is and also just how ****ty the default SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 gig SSD that comes with the system. The read speeds are 1 GiB but the write speeds are 150 MiB! The 950 PRO 512 write speeds are 10 TIMES faster. Even the random 4K tests double the speed. The 850 EVO has half the seq read speed as the 951 (500 MiBvs 1GiB) but the seq write speed is over 3x faster than the 951. The only area the so called 951 NVMe beats the 850 EVO is the seq write speed (2x) as fast. But for every other metric, it's far worse. Basically, if it comes between using the 850 EVO OR the defaut 951 NVMe drive that comes with the G752, I'd go with the 850 EVO any day. Note, I tested the 2.5 SATA 850 EVO. It could be the 850 m2 SATA III or ACHI versions are faster than the 2.5.

Of course, the best option is to go with the SAMSUNG 950 PRO -- either 256 or 512 GIGS. Look at the speeds! It blows the 951 out of the water (10x faster write speeds, over DOUBLE the read speeds). It also blows the 850 EVO out of the water with 4.5x the read speeds and DOUBLE the write speeds.

CONCLUSION
*SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe ROCKS so much.
*Default 951 NVMe 128 GB that comes with the system is **** and should be thrown away. Better off going with a 2.5 SATA 850 EVO if the cost of the Samsung 950's are too high for you, and booting your OS from that rather than boot from the 951 Samsung 128 GB. The 951 has double the read speeds of the 850 EVO, yes, but the write speeds are about 1/3 of the speed!!! Is it better? I don't know, depends if you are doing a lot more reading or writing to your drive.

So I hope this helps you guys decide what SSD to upgrade to. Whatever you decide, DITCH the absolutely ****ty 951 SAMSUNG NVMe 128gig/256/512 gig that comes with your G752VT/VY -- you can get at least double the read speeds and 10x the write speeds by switching!

I honestly don't understand -- paying about 2500 USD for my G752VY (which is a sweet, sweet machine and with the 3D vapor cooling runs super super cool, even when CPU and GPU are maxed -- only at 75-79C!!!) and Asus gives such a ****ty SSD which hurts performance~!

Also see my other posts that tell how I installed my 950 NVMe on the ASUS ROG G752VY and how I also installed a 850 EVO m2 SATA III on my other computer I bought, the ASUS ROG GL552...

How to SUCCESFULLY Install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe into G752 and boot windows from it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I...

How to SUCESSFULLY install the Samsung 850 EVO m2 SATA III into the GL552 and boot windows from it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-work...
31 REPLIES 31

golomb13
Level 7
Keep on mind that there are two versions of SM 951 on market, the one that got SAME speeds as 950 PRO:

PM951
MZVLV256HCHP - This one Assus use, and this one got crappy results.

SM951
MZVPV256HDGL - I am having this version - same speeds as 950 Pro, and i think even better becasue heat throttling is not enabling that fast as 950 Pro one.

Keep that in mind before spreading news.

Gps3dx
Level 12
dbodyguru wrote:

I've decided to compare the

SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG NVMe

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

vs SAMSUNG 850 SATA 2.5 1TB

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR benchmarks compared.

Thanks for that nice comparision.
Do you mind sharing with us please, the driver info ( i.e manufacturer & version ) you used each time in each test ?
Let me explain....

I know from my little reading from the last few days around the new, and especially from "win-raid.com", that default/internal MS windows NVMe driver is CRAP.... and that for performance increase you should install the driver from your NVMe Controller manufacturer ( I guess it is Intel in your case, as the G752 runs the CM236 chipset ) - just to be clear - This "Controller Driver" sits in the Device Manager, under "Storage Controller" and it is NOT THE RAID Controller (i.e not IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller)!

Samsung has it own "Controller Driver", one can get it from here.
Benchmark result differs from using a controller driver differs from different manufacturer and version.

Now... since I just told you how to tweak even better your system - do you mind performing a bit more benchmark for us - to prove that is indeed the case ? ( P.S - I don't question Win-RAID.com... they are hack of pro there... )
Please try to run benchmark with different NVMe controller driver:​ MS Vs Samsungs Vs Intel ?? ( All of these drivers are HERE )
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Thanks for that nice comparision.
Do you mind sharing with us please, the driver info ( i.e manufacturer & version ) you used each time in each test ?
Let me explain....

I know from my little reading from the last few days around the new, and especially from "win-raid.com", that default/internal MS windows NVMe driver is CRAP.... and that for performance increase you should install the driver from your NVMe Controller manufacturer ( I guess it is Intel in your case, as the G752 runs the CM236 chipset ) - just to be clear - This "Controller Driver" sits in the Device Manager, under "Storage Controller" and it is NOT THE RAID Controller (i.e not IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller)!

Samsung has it own "Controller Driver", one can get it from here.
Benchmark result differs from using a controller driver differs from different manufacturer and version.

Now... since I just told you how to tweak even better your system - do you mind performing a bit more benchmark for us - to prove that is indeed the case ? ( P.S - I don't question Win-RAID.com... they are hack of pro there... )
Please try to run benchmark with different NVMe controller driver:​ MS Vs Samsungs Vs Intel ?? ( All of these drivers are HERE )

I am UNABLE to install the Samsung 950 drivers on the G752VY. It will not let me (I get an error message saying 950 NVMe is not detected when I try installing the driver, despite the fact it does show up in the Device Manager as the 950 and the write and read speeds as tested seem in line with what the speeds should be.

Also note, Samsung Partition Magic does NOT recognize the 950 in the list of dropdown drives to select. So I'm using the default MS or Intel drivers.

Now at this request, I've installed the new INTEL controller and run the benchmark. But the speeds are about the same as before. Again, I don't have the official samsung drivers installed, so maybe the drive is not as fast as it should be and / or partition magic software is not optimizing / running on the 950.

I've also just updated the BIOS to the new bios offered by asus for the G752, but that did not fix the issue or allow me to install the samsung drivers.

Anyways, see image with the Intel drivers installed (which made no difference) and the benchmark for the 950 512 NVMe SSD.

dbodyguru wrote:
I am UNABLE to install the Samsung 950 drivers on the G752VY. It will not let me (I get an error message saying 950 NVMe is not detected when I try installing the driver, despite the fact it does show up in the Device Manager as the 950 and the write and read speeds as tested seem in line with what the speeds should be.

Also note, Samsung Partition Magic does NOT recognize the 950 in the list of dropdown drives to select. So I'm using the default MS or Intel drivers.

Now at this request, I've installed the new INTEL controller and run the benchmark. But the speeds are about the same as before. Again, I don't have the official samsung drivers installed, so maybe the drive is not as fast as it should be and / or partition magic software is not optimizing / running on the 950.

I've also just updated the BIOS to the new bios offered by asus for the G752, but that did not fix the issue or allow me to install the samsung drivers.

Anyways, see image with the Intel drivers installed (which made no difference) and the benchmark for the 950 512 NVMe SSD.

I was hoping the 950 would have better results by now but it looks exactly the same as when we tested them. I put up a crystal mark to show that even a very heavily used smaller AHCI sm951 still beats the 950 nvme and it has working trim and drivers without a problem. I still don't see any incentive to buy a 950 unless all you care about is having a black pcb.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dbodyguru wrote:

I was hoping the 950 would have better results by now but it looks exactly the same as when we tested them. I put up a crystal mark to show that even a very heavily used smaller AHCI sm951 still beats the 950 nvme and it has working trim and drivers without a problem. I still don't see any incentive to buy a 950 unless all you care about is having a black pcb.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello ROG community.

I am sending you a message for my problem on my pc Gl752vw I wish add a m.2 ssd
Type PM951 128GB SAMSUNG. But the problem the bios does not recognize. No way to activate my card PCIe M.2.

What to do ? Thank you for helping me I'm French.

M.2 PCIe reference card: 128GB Samsung PM951

Moi59200 wrote:
Hello ROG community.

I am sending you a message for my problem on my pc Gl752vw I wish add a m.2 ssd
Type PM951 128GB SAMSUNG. But the problem the bios does not recognize. No way to activate my card PCIe M.2.

What to do ? Thank you for helping me I'm French.

M.2 PCIe reference card: 128GB Samsung PM951

Welcome to the Forums.
You might want to try looking in the GL subforum for better support.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?200-GL-Series-Gaming-Notebooks

What I can tell you is there are evidently two different mother boards for the GL752. One that supports the PCIe M2 SSDs and one that supports only M2 SATA.
You can read more about it in a pretty lengthy thread about the Gl752VW.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Bought a g752vy a few days ago, quite the beast of a laptop.

heres the results from the NVMe SSD drive (samsung mzvpv256)

JHR1979 wrote:
Bought a g752vy a few days ago, quite the beast of a laptop.

heres the results from the NVMe SSD drive (samsung mzvpv256)

Nice, thats about what I got out of the stock 256.
Welcome to the madness!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein