cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q code 53 when putting ram in A1 or B1 slots, but A2/B2 work fine

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hi,

I'm on the Hero Alpha, and have ram that has worked fully on multiple brands of Z170 boards (Gigabyte, MSI) and currently works and boots in slots A2/B2.

However, I wanted to make sure ALL ram slots are functioning, so I took them out, and placed them in the other two slots, A1/B1. Putting them so gives me Q Code 53, which is ram issues.

Now, even putting ONE stick in either of those two slots, gives me Q Code 53. I also put ONE stick in the original working slots, and it boots fine. I tried the MemOK button too, and no avail.

So I narrowed it down that the other two slots, A1/B1 are not functional. I know Asus states to use A2/B2, which is fine, yes, but I'm simply testing the other two slots for if they work, which they don't.

Is this where I do a replacement?

EDIT: Yes I have the latest BIOS
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
10 REPLIES 10

Barbara917
Level 7
Do they work if all the slots are populated?

Barbara917 wrote:
Do they work if all the slots are populated?

I only have two sticks, so I can't test that. I know I've used my sticks singularly and in dual channel on other brands and it worked fine.

For this board, if anytime a ram stick is in slot A1/B1 then it's Q Code 53. If those are empty, then I can have one or two sticks in the A2/B2 slots - no issue.

Can someone test putting one and then two sticks in the A1/B1 slots? Leave the A2/B2 slots empty. If that works please let me know. I know Asus recommends using the A2/B2 slots, but I should still be able to populate the others and have a functioning board.

So please test the A1/B1 slots, it'd be a great help! I am using Z170 ram that runs in dual channel, and not quad, and this ram works on other brands, so I know the ram isn't faulty.

Thank you
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

No It's not working . Read all the way down my post . I already mentioned that maybe a bug or something and anyone that has same memory errors should know.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81104-Maximus-VIII-Hero-O-C-and-Tweaking

cartoonistas wrote:
No It's not working . Read all the way down my post . I already mentioned that maybe a bug or something and anyone that has same memory errors should know.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81104-Maximus-VIII-Hero-O-C-and-Tweaking

Chino, I have tried loosening up the screws on my water cooler, it doesn't make any difference for any of the issues I am having.

cartoonistas, thank you for pointing that out for me, but still doesn't seem right. Maybe you also got a faulty board.

I am asking for someone who has all 4 slots working, to try to ONLY use slots A1/B1, and see if it works. If it doesn't, we know that the board doesn't support it that way. If it does work, then cartoonistas and I would have a faulty board since the slots A1/B1 wouldn't be working properly.

Please, someone just test it, just remove your ram from A2/B2 and leave ram in A1/B1, with one or two sticks.

It would take 10 seconds to do. I'd rather not have to go through ordering another set of ram just to test something that takes 10 seconds 😛

I'd like to know so I can figure out whether to get a replacement or not. Considering I got Q Code 00 after bios update, and Q code 1 out of every boots, I may do a replacement anyway since my BIOS may be screwed.

Chino
Level 15
Loosen the screws for your heatsink a little. If that doesn't solve the issue, proceed to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

Menthol
Level 14
MVIII Extreme, 6700K run at 4.6 to 4.8 core and cache daily, GSKILL Trident Z, 2 kits 2x4 GB of DDR4 4000mhz = 4 sticks 16 GB capacity, I run them at either 3600 or 3866 mhz daily
I just removed the sticks from A2 & B2 and system booted right up with sticks in A1 & B1

Menthol wrote:
MVIII Extreme, 6700K run at 4.6 to 4.8 core and cache daily, GSKILL Trident Z, 2 kits 2x4 GB of DDR4 4000mhz = 4 sticks 16 GB capacity, I run them at either 3600 or 3866 mhz daily
I just removed the sticks from A2 & B2 and system booted right up with sticks in A1 & B1

So your other slots work..

See cartoonista, apparently the other two slots should be working like normal, but ours don't (if I recall your forum posts).

Alright well, looks like I'll be getting a replacement.

Can someone else test two sticks in the A1/B1 slots, with A2/B2 empty? Just to be sure. Also test it at stock bios settings?

Menthol you have other memory settings, maybe that's why yours works? I'm running all at stock, so I'd hope slots A1/B1 work.. right?

Thank you Menthol.

misterbeam
Level 7
Vinny1001 wrote:
Hi,

I'm on the Hero Alpha, and have ram that has worked fully on multiple brands of Z170 boards (Gigabyte, MSI) and currently works and boots in slots A2/B2.

However, I wanted to make sure ALL ram slots are functioning, so I took them out, and placed them in the other two slots, A1/B1. Putting them so gives me Q Code 53, which is ram issues.

Now, even putting ONE stick in either of those two slots, gives me Q Code 53. I also put ONE stick in the original working slots, and it boots fine. I tried the MemOK button too, and no avail.

So I narrowed it down that the other two slots, A1/B1 are not functional. I know Asus states to use A2/B2, which is fine, yes, but I'm simply testing the other two slots for if they work, which they don't.

Is this where I do a replacement?

EDIT: Yes I have the latest BIOS

Welcome to the club mate :D, i have the same issue, i am in an area of the world where i can't afford an RMA, so i just live with it.

Vinny1001 wrote:
Chino, I have tried loosening up the screws on my water cooler, it doesn't make any difference for any of the issues I am having.

And have you inspected the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins?

Vinny1001 wrote:

Can someone else test two sticks in the A1/B1 slots, with A2/B2 empty? Just to be sure. Also test it at stock bios settings?

It doesn't matter which slots you use. They can all work on their own or in any combination.