cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20AJ Inside Case Thermal Tape Question

joeg01
Level 7
Inside the ROG G20AJ and probably others like it there is the twin fan right above the cpu. It is connected to the heatsink via some black smooth tape. Tape might be thermal and feels like paper.

Can anyone confirm if it is thermal or not and what I can use to replace it with. I am seeing so many options on the web, it is over confusing me right now and I just need some advice. I did the dvd, memory, video card all at same time upgrade and wasn't as nice to the tape as I should have been. Thinking about it I would like to try and make it right. I look forward to anyones suggestions and help. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

dianebrat
Level 9
it is NOT thermal tape

rottnpup
Level 8
I used black duct tape.

I see it's kinda like vinyl but has very little sticky backing to it so as not to ooze and drip inside the case. I'm thinking it's mostly for airflow to make sure the air coming off the fans vents outside the case and not back in. That means the main slit between the fans and heatsink and the two screw holes need to be plugged for sure. I went to some stores today and asked around.

You would be amazed at the number of people that also have no idea what it is. And just mention the word computer lol and they go running. I really like the duck tape idea. My question is will it be too sticky and ooze as it heats up? Electrical tape seems like a disaster to me as I have used some on cables before and man what a mess it leaves. I found a place that sells duck tape sheets you can cut but that stuff is so flimsy. Was thinking about contact paper. Any thoughts about that? Good to hear it's not thermal as that saves mucho money when shopping around lol.

I have had mine apart since and it seems the tape just dries out where exposed I have no mess.