cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JL-BSI7T28 SSD upgrade problem

xParagon
Level 7
Laptop model: G751JL-BSI7T28
I haven't made any hardware changes to this computer until now.
SSD model: Crucial BX200 480GB 2.5in SSD SATA

The problem I'm running into is that my newly installed SSD is not showing up in the boot-priority menu in the BIOS, so I am unable to use it as the boot drive. I've tried multiple different things and I can't seem to get it to work.

In disk management, the SSD is at disk slot 1 (where the HDD is disk slot 0).
Slot 1 is showing 447.01GB NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition)
The HDD was cloned over to the SSD using EaseUS version 9.0
I've updated the BIOS to version 204.
SSD firmware version: MU01, there are no updates at this time.
When the HDD was removed and the SSD placed in slot 1 OR slot 0, the laptop was stuck in BIOS and there was no boot option.
When the SSD was placed in slot 0, and HDD in slot 1, the laptop wouldn't boot with error message: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

If there are any other ideas, I'd appreciate the help.
11 REPLIES 11

Clintlgm
Level 14
well I think your SSD is suspect? otherwise check out this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-...

Did you clone the entre disk or just some of the partitions? entire disk needs to be cloned so that booting etc. get set up on the SSD
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

The entire HDD was cloned, including the OS. which is why I don't understand the lack of boot option

What program did you use to Clone with ? It sounds like the hard drive still has the only boot partitions? or your SSD is defective. If you haven't try Macrium Reflect hers is a Video that shows you how If this doesn't work I suspect your having a SSD Issue?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

"The HDD was cloned over to the SSD using EaseUS version 9.0"
The entire HDD was cloned since I had enough space to do so.
It may be defective, but its being detected in disk management, and has been set to volume E: and can be accessed, the problem is I can't make it to be the boot drive.

Yes you issue is somehow you converted during the clone to MBR and your system is UEFI, I would do the clone again and use Macrium Reflect Free Be sure to boot you USB or DVD UEFI and the clone will maintain your UEFI GPT system. MR never fails. An UEFI system can not boot from a MBR hard drive/SSD and visa versa.
To insure you boot MR UEFI , on pressing your power button hit the Esc key a few times a boot menu will come up Select UEFI USB or UEFI DVD do not select the USB or DVD to load MR.
Here is a video that show you how
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you tried removing the old drive and having only the SSD in at disk 0?
They don't play nice when you have two disks with an MBR. My cloning software actually instructs you to shut down and remove he original drive before reboot.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

xParagon
Level 7
xParagon wrote:

When the HDD was removed and the SSD placed in slot 1 OR slot 0, the laptop was stuck in BIOS and there was no boot option.

SSD is also shows up in task manager performance tab with 0 usage time.

Julskey
Level 10
Try to disable secure boot and enable csm, just to isolate the problem.

UPDATE: After re-cloning the entire SSD again with Acronis True Image Software (recommended by the SSD manufacturer) this time, the SSD was able to boot up to login screen. where I was unable to input my password or really do anything. Once the HDD was removed, it would kind of start up and get stuck. I tried every solution posted here with no success until finally I installed the Macrium Reflect software and cloned a third time. Everything is working now. Thanks for the help!

So why do these other softwares suck?