cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl752 vs. Gl552

Johnwake
Level 7
I am trying to decide between the gl552vw and the gl752vw. I've done my research and it seems like the only difference between these two is the screen size and 1 or 2 minor changes with the ports.

Some things I'm looking to find out are:
Are there different upgrade options (are the ssd ports different, sata vs. Pcie; can you take the 752 to 32 gb ram?)
Is one computer having manufacture problems versus the other?
Is the battery life a lot weaker on the 752 because of the 17 inch screen?
Which one does everyone recommend?

Are there any other major differences to consider that I may not be thinking about?

I am using this laptop mostly for video editing, so I would prefer the larger screen, but there are very minimal reviews on the Gl752vw. Can anyone verify that this computer runs well and is worth buying?
12 REPLIES 12

prototype89
Level 7
Johnwake wrote:
I am trying to decide between the gl552vw and the gl752vw. I've done my research and it seems like the only difference between these two is the screen size and 1 or 2 minor changes with the ports.

Some things I'm looking to find out are:
Are there different upgrade options (are the ssd ports different, sata vs. Pcie; can you take the 752 to 32 gb ram?)
Is one computer having manufacture problems versus the other?
Is the battery life a lot weaker on the 752 because of the 17 inch screen?
Which one does everyone recommend?

Are there any other major differences to consider that I may not be thinking about?

I am using this laptop mostly for video editing, so I would prefer the larger screen, but there are very minimal reviews on the Gl752vw. Can anyone verify that this computer runs well and is worth buying?

I had the same dilemma except I had a third option from MSI with the exact same specs albeit with one more USB port.

I decided to take the GL752 instead for the bigger screen.

prototype89 wrote:
I had the same dilemma except I had a third option from MSI with the exact same specs albeit with one more USB port.

I decided to take the GL752 instead for the bigger screen.

Are you happy with your purchase? Has the computer been reliable?

Also did you add an ssd, and if so, which one did you use?

I own the GL752VW. Both the GL552 and GL752 models are fairly similar with two GPU memory variants, so you can purchase either model with a GEFORCE GTX 960M with 2GB or 4GB of VRAM. System memory is where you will find a difference, the GL552 is only upgradeable to 16GB, whereas the GL752 is upgradeable to 32GB. If you are looking for the flexibility to upgrade RAM and would prefer a 17 inch screen for your work, it sounds like the GL752 is the better choice for you.

On the SSD, both the GL552 and GL752 models are compatible with the SATA III M.2 2280. Using XOTIC PC as a reference for compatible SSD models they offer for the GL752, any of the models in the below image should work.

I am an action sports video editor, so the fact that the GL752 can be upgraded to 32 GB was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. That is the decision maker for me. All I do is travel, but I have worked with a 15 inch for awhile and it's so easy to move around, I feel I will adjust to the 17 inch easier being only a 1 lb difference. I think the screen size and extra ram is easily worth it. I also heard you can put the sm951 (ssd) in the 752 and only the 850 evo (ssd) in the 552 (one being sata 3 and the other pcie), not sure if that is true or not, but if that's the case that could be a difference that helps other people make this decision also. Thanks for the reply 🙂

Johnwake wrote:
Are you happy with your purchase? Has the computer been reliable?

Also did you add an ssd, and if so, which one did you use?

So far I am pleased with my purchase.
I purchased the laptop with intentions to install the Samsung 850 Evo m.2. Sata III SSD. I pretty much installed it straight away but did encounter random screen black outs on three random occasions over the course of two days. I updated the bios to version 207 and haven't had any issues at all for two weeks now so things are looking good.

The performance has been very quick, especially after moving the OS to the SSD.

I do have some issues with the device but I don't think they're exclusive to this device, more like exclusive to ASUS laptops as a whole:

1. On board speakers are abysmal (in comparison to a five year old HP laptop with Altec Lansing speakers and a 13.3 inc Macbook Pro).
2. Screen is not IPS and relatively dark even at maximum brightness.
3. The keyboard is a fingerprint, oil magnet.

As I intend for this laptop to be my desktop replacement, I can overlook all three issues, by using an external speaker, external monitor and external mouse/ keyboard. My Macbook will continue to be my travel companion.

In retrospect, I probably would have purchased the 15.6" version as the 17" is taking up a lot of space on my desk.

Johnwake wrote:
I also heard you can put the sm951 (ssd) in the 752 and only the 850 evo (ssd) in the 552 (one being sata 3 and the other pcie), not sure if that is true or not, but if that's the case that could be a difference that helps other people make this decision also. Thanks for the reply 🙂

There are some threads on here debating which SSD the GL752 is compatible with. The G752 (another Asus with a completely different form factor and components, note the missing 'L' in the model number) is compatible with the PCIe, however the GL752 appears to be compatible with SATA only. I contacted Asus directly yesterday regarding this and the representative referred me to XOTIC PC to find the right SSD. Both the GL552 and GL752 only have upgrade options for SATA III drives, see my above post for the reference image. Hope this helps clarify!

prototype89 wrote:
So far I am pleased with my purchase.

1. On board speakers are abysmal (in comparison to a five year old HP laptop with Altec Lansing speakers and a 13.3 inc Macbook Pro).
2. Screen is not IPS and relatively dark even at maximum brightness.
3. The keyboard is a fingerprint, oil magnet.

1. My old Asus laptop only had one speaker on the bottom. This model has a base speaker on the bottom, and two speakers right above the keyboard. For me, the speakers are significantly better.

2. I agree, the screen is a little dark but the colors are clear and crisp.

3. Very true, fingerprints everywhere on this keyboard! Thankfully, the laptop has a nice cleaning cloth that comes in the box.

Hi All

In your opinion, is it worthy to go for the 4gb over the 2gb GTX9600? I douth which one is performing better on these 2 laptops so I don´t know if it is relevant or not for them.

Regards,
XAKO

xako wrote:
Hi All

In your opinion, is it worthy to go for the 4gb over the 2gb GTX9600? I douth which one is performing better on these 2 laptops so I don´t know if it is relevant or not for them.

Regards,
XAKO

If u're into hardcore gaming, N want to play them at ultra setting, go for the 4gb or if you're a casual gamer/ N won't bother about ultra setting go for the 2GB version
Even though the 4GB vram won't Be used completely because the laptop has a 960m which is a mid range gcard
Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk

james11705 wrote:
If u're into hardcore gaming, N want to play them at ultra setting, go for the 4gb or if you're a casual gamer/ N won't bother about ultra setting go for the 2GB version
Even though the 4GB vram won't Be used completely because the laptop has a 960m which is a mid range gcard
Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer.

I was about to buy the GL752 but then I looked at the ones that come with GTX9700M and now I am wondering if it is worthy to spend extra €500 for that or not.
I am speaking about the G752 or G502, What do you think? I do not need to buy it now, I could wait 2 months, I guess that the prices will go down for sure, won´t it?

Regards,
XAKO