cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q Backlight bleed

UndeadLeech
Level 7
Hello,
so I got the PG279Q in November and was pretty happy with it. But after using it for a while I noticed that on black screens my bottom left corner was slightly more lit than the others. Now I looked at it on a completely black screen with light switched off and you can definitely see some backlight bleed going on. I can live with the amount of bleed I have but I just wanted to ask if this is normal or if ASUS can do better? I'd like to hear your opinions on my BLB and please tell me what you would do when getting a monitor like this.

Pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxnf9mgiazlgmyv/IMG_20151231_065759.jpg (Brightness: 26)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd4xci413iswuod/IMG_20151231_070207.jpg (Brightness: 100)
53 REPLIES 53

From0toHero
Level 7
I have the same monitor and a little less ips glow. This is no backlightbleed. And almost all panels have it to some degree. Enjoy your screen.

Hertz
Level 7
That is not IPS glow, it is exaggerated by the photo and overexposure but this is clearly a typical backlight bleed.
I have exchanged lots of PG279Q and haven't seen any without same problem.

Kotronas
Level 9

This is my pg279 bought 4 days ago, still not decided if I keep it or return it. That is at 80% brightness when I lower it at 26%-40% the blb is not so much noticeable, it looks like it is gone, except 3 spots. First left bottom side and 2 and 3 top right. But it is getting better on the bottom one, I think the energy paper that was there, produced it after removing it, since it is glued on the panel and not on the frame as is the top.
Ips glow is visible from near and it changes position as you move your head and positioning. After few feet away you see only blb.

P.S. the blb on my picture is not the real blb as it overproduced from the phone camera. I was checking the photo and I was wondering where those blb spots are, since I can't see anything on top left corner and bottom right has a minimal white hue on the black.
So big reminder photo isn't same with live blb.

New pic with 40% brightness and the blb you see on it i cant see it on real life as it is. On daily the IPS glow is the "issue" if you have one with it.

and here a 23% brightness

Hertz
Level 7
Looks much like mine. Getting a different one seems a huge lottery, the choice is yours. Currently it is more like a take it or leave it situation. Maybe further batches will be different, only time will show.

phatec
Level 7
This is very common in an IPS panel.

All IPS panels especially when larger in scale will "Always" have IPS glow, this is not a defect, this is normal (you can never get away from IPS glow).

Although in your case, almost all corners have too much backlight, which you should return for a replacement.

Ways you can tell if it is IPS glow -
• Corners will have a slight yellow/blue lit color when in a dark room while viewing a black or dark image.
• When viewing an image with color in the area of the "glow" you should not be able to see the "glow"

Ways you can tell if it backlight bleed -
• Corners will have a white or slight yellow color when in a dark room while viewing a black or dark image.
• When viewing an image with color in the area of the "glow" you should still see the "glow/bleed" in that corner.

If you do not like IPS glow (which is normal for an IPS panel) I strongly suggest you return the product and get a TN or VA panel monitor.

Asus's IPS panel with amazing backlight bleed thanks to the fantastic AU Optronics cheap panel they used (they should have use an LG or Samsung panel)

A perfect IPS panel as it should look like

Kotronas
Level 9
Thanks for explaining it as simple as posible. Already asked for a replacement. As I said the glow isn't a issue and the blb on the corners is low not so much noticeable. The problem is the 3 spots where white spots comes through the bezel and the panel, the 2 spots on top right corner are small and not so intense but the left bottom one is noticeable even on colored images/loading screens. You see from middle black bezel and as you go down you see the white light coming through. Hope the next one is better.

Thanks again

phatec
Level 7
Its funny there is even all these defects, take a TV for example, they are all mostly IPS panels, especially the new TV's with 4k display.

Further, almost all TV's do not have backlight bleed or IPS glow.

These IPS TV's also are ranging at 240hz which allow for 120hz per eye when viewing in 3D.

I also want to add that these 55-60" tv's in 4K with 3D capabilities, 60hz with 120 motion plus, Wifi and network connections, Full HD surround sound speakers, live Firmware updates. Applications such as Internet, Youtube, Vivo, Netflix etc...
There is even IPS TV's ranging up to 240hz (not at 4k scale) for cheaper costs.

Only cost $1200+ these days... That in mind, I want everyone to think about this, and I want you to ask yourself.

Why the heck am I paying $1200 for a 1440p 27" pc monitor with only... 165hz, does not allow for users to update Firmware.
Does not have a wifi/wired internet connection (which would allow for frequent bug fixes on the fly), Does not include further features within the monitor, Terrible useless speakers.

Terrible backlight bleed which should not exist, (I've only seen a minor blue glow in most monitors which we call "IPS glow")
That is with me referring to the 16,000 pc monitors I've deployed to clients.

Asus, I love you. But I really hate your new monitors... you are better than this... and you aren't being honest to your clients.

Kotronas
Level 9
Got my replacement today it is much better then the last one.

Here a pic at 80% brightness

The spots on the top are not so visible as it is showing on the picture. I saw them as I was trying to take the picture.

First one was a October this one is November one.
This is a keeper for me as it is.

phatec
Level 7
Everyone who has any Backlight bleed or IPS glow to the extent the corners are showing visible light should be returning their Monitor for a new, or RMA.

Monitors should only have a slight blue glow around the edges which is present on most TN, IPS panels.
Which when viewed in a dark lit room and a black wallpaper is mainly when you are able to see this.

If you experience any yellow or white "glow" or "light bleed", this is not normal for any monitor, this is a defect in the build quality.

Please RMA until you receive a proper monitor without these defects.