cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiTON's ROG Case Mod Work Log

TiTON
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I wanted to share with everyone my worklog on my ASUS ROG Case mod. This mod is very different from many of my previous mod. For this contest, the contestants received points in 3 categories. The contestant with the most point was crowned the winner. The 3 Categories were the following (1) Super Pi 1m Time, (2) Weight, and (3) Style. So the mod had to look good, be light weight, and fast as possible. These categories actually made the contest very appealing to me.
So here goes. Since this was an Asus competition, the requirement was to use an Asus ROG motherboard. I chose to use the Maximum III Gene motherboard. The mATX form factor was ideal for the weight, and the board also looks great with the Red and Black.

As for performance, the processor would be a very crucial part. The rules stated that only Water and Air cooling would be allowed. Since performance was based on SuperPi, I went with a very cost effective Intel i3 Processor. With only 2 cores, I did not have to worry about dissipating unnecessary heat.

To cool the processor I used Corsair’s Hydro H70. This very small All In One cooling unit provided the best cooling possible with minimal weight. The weight of the H70 is just slightly higher than some of the very High End CPU HSF. I sacrifice a few grams for the superior cooling.

As everyone knows, high end power supplies are VERY heavy. The weight typically is a sign of a very well built power supply. I have always favored using SilverStone PSU in my projects. I just enjoy the great quality and craftsmanship. I used SilverStone’s ST45SF power supply. This is a SFX form factor with 450 watts. The power supply supported 2 PCIe, as well as a single 36A rail, which ideal for SuperPi and CPU Benches. Look at the small size of the PSU next to a SilverStone 120mm fan. The Corsair H70 was upgraded with the higher CFM 120mm SilverStone fans.

As for the memory, I went with a set of Corsair Dominators with the Cooling fan. Corsair’s high performance memory and color schemed, matched perfectly with the Asus ROG colors, which will be used in this mod. For storage, a 64GB Corsair SSD was also used.

We just covered all the great gear in the rig. Now its time to get into the mod. Check the next post.

- Ton
24 REPLIES 24

TiTON
Level 7
With the parts selected, the performance aspect was pretty much done. It would come down over clocking the components to maximize the results. Now I had to focus on the Weight and Style points. Since this was an ASUS ROG case mod competition, I decided to make an Out-Of-The-Box case mod. I decided to utilize the shape and color of the ROG logo for this case mod, and build the system to highlight all the great components. Here is a pic of the ROG logo:

To help prototype the case mod, I used a bunch of Foam boards. Foam boards are ideal for testing out proof of concepts, and help bring your design to life w/ minimal effort. The Foam boards are roughly 24”x36”, so a simple box cutter and a straight edge help cut the boards down to size.

To minimize the weight, I decided to go with a rib / roll cage approach. This approach would give the structure rigidity with less with. Each foam board was cut to shape. The center pieces had large cavity to hold the PSU, Hard drive, and the Radiator. The top was set at a slant, to allow the board to be highlighted. Then end pieces were the same shape as the center ribs, but solid.

I used a combination of 6 all thread rods and nuts to keep the structure together:

Here is a pic of the completed foam structure, and how the PSU and Radiator fit perfectly in the inner cavity

With the prototype completed, I was able to closely examine how the case mod would behave in the real world. I found some issues, which I made sure to correct in the final case mod. Till the next post!!

- Ton

TiTON
Level 7
Now with the prototype done, it is time to bring this case mod to life. Initially I wanted to build the case mod completely from Carbon Fiber, but the raw material cost was insane. I wanted to use Balsa wood, but couldn’t find a place to get the thickness and dimension I needed. I decided to finally go with a combination of ¼” Smoke Acrylic for the outside pieces and mobo tray, while I used ¼” Pine for the inserts. This combination yielded the best weight and strength profile.

Just like the foam, I had to cut the acrylic sheet to size. Instead of using a box cutter and straight edge, I had to get out the scroll say to complete the work.

Since the Foam board was a great prototype, I cut the acrylic the same shapes. Here is a pic of the foam motherboard tray and the acrylic version of it.

After the wood and acrylic pieces were cut, it was time to prime and paint the wood and acrylic pieces. Here is picture of the wood insert being primed, as well as the “ROG” logo being painted.

After all pieces were dried, it was time to reconstruct the case. In order to properly space out the insert, I used vinyl tubing, and slide the all thread into each piece. These gave the custom spacing needed.

Here is a picture of the case being constructed as well as the test fitting:

Now the frame and painting is done. Next post we will get into the water cooling and installing the components.

- Ton

TiTON
Level 7
The Corsair H70 is built very well. The orientation that I needed the unit mounted did not agree with the way the unit was constructed. I actually had to remove the original tubing, run new lines, and refill the loop without using a T-line or reservoir. Here are some pics of that adventure:

Now that the new frame has been built, and the water cooling challenge resolved, it is now time to put the final case together. I attached the ASUS ROG logo to the side of each case, which looked great.

After the glue was dried, time for final assembly. Next post will have all final pics.

- Ton

TiTON
Level 7
Now we are done w/ all the modding.. here are the completed pictures of the case mod. Remember, the 3 categories I was trying to achieve was

(1) Performance, (2) Weight, and (3) Style.

Well, that completes this case mod. It was done in about 2 weeks, and was showcased at the Asus’s Booth at Blizzcon. I hope everyone enjoyed

the case mod.

- Ton

xeromist
That is a really slick looking build. I enjoyed seeing how it was done as I've been toying with the idea of scratch cases when I have a bit more cash flow.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
how did you seal the h70? im thinking of doing the same for one of my builds.

Hazzan
Level 7
wow that awesome...:)

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Work is pretty nice and sweet. I like it. Just wondering, do you plan adding support for HDD and a place for the PSU like to fix them in place?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

TiTON
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I am really enjoying this rig I built last year. This case had a great balance of speed, weight, and look.

Now its time for Version 2.0. With this new version, I will be taking out the weight limitation, which means I can change out some of the material and equipment. So stay tuned.. this will be finish before you can even blink your eyes 🙂

Hopefully this rig will be considered for ROG's Sunnyvale event 🙂

- Ton